Evo 4G vs. Palm Pre

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
thumb_450_android-evo-pre-4.JPG

Couldn't help myself. http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-evo-4g-sized-alongside-palm-pre

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Pre looks laggy and buggy as hell. how many presses of the power button needed to turn it on? how many swipes to unlock it? how many flicks to flick a card away?

and i don't like webOS because i don't want to be out there on a tiny proprietary island all by myself.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Pre looks laggy and buggy as hell. how many presses of the power button needed to turn it on? how many swipes to unlock it? how many flicks to flick a card away?

and i don't like webOS because i don't want to be out there on a tiny proprietary island all by myself.

Say what you will about the hardware, but proprietary? You do know what webOS is, right?

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here to the Android forums, I'm researching my wife's and my next phone. We are both using the Pre now, we can upgrade at the end of the month. I found several threads about former Pre owners/users, they all are missing there Pre's but glad they switched. I've about made up my mind that were going to get the EVO. Thanks to all former Pre owner's for posting your opinion's. Thank god for spell checker's, I almost typed onions instead of opinion's. LOL,,,LOL.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Make the jump, you won't be sorry. I had to fire up my Pre the other night to email a couple of photos from it and it took me - I'm not kidding - about TWENTY MINUTES to get the task done. Watching the card pop up and glow for five seconds before the app opened was a shock after three months of blazing EVO speed. I don't miss a thing about it that would make suffering with the poor hardware worth it.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I remember the Pre keyboard being a pain. I could never get used to how cramped it was. Now that I have my compact qwerty on my EVO, typing ion a phone Hanover been so enjoyable. The larger screen size and faster processor make the EVO a better overall machine. I also have to add that Android is a lot better than WebOS.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I moved to the EVO from Pre within the last month when my Pre got too flaky to use any longer (h/w issues). I was a hardcore fan and I thought I'd miss WebOS - I did at first but now it is a distant memory. The EVO is a nice piece of h/w and I like Android more every day. Even if HP came out with a new h/w platform for WebOS I couldn't see myself going back.

Dave

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm finishing my first week with the Evo coming from the Pre. Hardware wise there is no comparison. I have gotten used to the virtual keyboard faster than I thought I would (typing this post from my Evo).

The apps are apps - there are plenty of them out there, and I'm sure you will find anything you need.

The one thing I really miss is the email program. I use GMail, and have tried both stock apps and K-9 and admittedly am disappointed with all of them. I liked the interface on the WebOS program and can't seem to find one that is similar.

Other than that it's a great device.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm finishing my first week with the Evo coming from the Pre. Hardware wise there is no comparison. I have gotten used to the virtual keyboard faster than I thought I would (typing this post from my Evo).

The apps are apps - there are plenty of them out there, and I'm sure you will find anything you need.

The one thing I really miss is the email program. I use GMail, and have tried both stock apps and K-9 and admittedly am disappointed with all of them. I liked the interface on the WebOS program and can't seem to find one that is similar.

Other than that it's a great device.

download Swype and typing becomes ridiculously easier.

maduhbee#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i'm on my EVO since my pre got hit by salt water. I have to say, I'm probably the only one that misses Web OS. I think mainly, I use multi tasking quite a bit. I'd say battery life is about the same, but I never have a problem. I have a car charger, and whenever it's in the car, it's charging. Same goes with the EVO.

However, it wasn't until recently, where I sided with the EVO. That's only because I rooted the damn thing, and installed CM6. Wow, what a difference the 30 fps did! I almost went back to another Palm Pre!

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
As a former Pixi guy (and temporary Pre user)...you will be blown away by the Evo. Especially the higher volume of quality apps.