Parents--teaching them new technology is a pain in the a--!

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
My mother and father (69 and 70, respectively) have had very old and basic flip phones from AT&T Wireless for several years. Well, their service basically has sucked, and their monthly rates are way too much for what they have. So, my dad decided to do a major upgrade and get smart phones for him and my mom. Moreover, to save money--they're both retired--I recommended they go on my Sprint account and we get the family plan. I live 30 minutes from them and get a nice discount of 25% from Sprint, so everyone's overall costs would be less than what we currently pay. Plus, with a great promotion this week, I could get them a new HTC EVO and the Samsung EPIC at a total cost of $99 then two $50 rebates. Net cost = a credit of $1! Nice.

My mom demanded a slideout QWERTY keyboard; hence my recommending the EPIC. She didn't need the phone rooted, so I left hers as stock. I rooted my dad's EVO so his would be like mine and my sister's, whose I just also rooted. My brother in another state has a nonrooted EVO.

Well, I got the phones in Monday, worked on them yesterday (rooting, putting apps on, setting up some things for them, etc.) and today went to their house to sit them down and play Smart Phone Teacher for a day (well, for a few hours at least). As expected, things didn't go as I had hoped. My father? No big problem, because my sister can always help him since she has an EVO (she lives with them because she's a single mom, so she's there to assist him).

Well, got home about an hour ago. As I expected, it didn't go that well with my mom. She has all the patience of an ice cube in a frying pan set on high. My father is playing with his rooted EVO and seems to like it (he has always been a techie sort of guy, though he always ends up calling me for technical support--crap).

My mom just may be a lost cause. I was at their place at 1:00 p.m. I gave each of them their phones and tried to explain some basic stuff (what Android is, what these phones can do, etc.). Of course, my dad ignores me, toys around with his EVO, then just walks out and leaves to do other things. I remain with my mom to try and tell her how to do some stuff on the Epic (set up and check Emails, add contacts, make phone calls, send/receive text messages, go to the Internet, add/use apps, etc.). Of course, it didn't take her long to start ing about how she has "no patience for this crap." So I simply yelled at her and said, "Then learn to have some patience for a change and get into the 21st century!"

Within a couple hours, they had to leave for an early dinner engagement with her sister and brother-in-law (my aunt and uncle). Upon my parents' return, I was still at their house finishing up putting Warm2.2 on my sister's EVO and having dinner with her and her daughter, my niece.

My dad walks in and I hear him yelling at my mom, "...well, you can't get the old phone back. Learn how to use it!" They walk into the rec room and my mom tosses her phone down on the table near me ing, "Take this phone back. I don't want it. I don't have the patience to learn this!"

To this I retort, "You're frickin' retired. You have plenty of time to learn how to use it. You're just being lazy and not wanting to learn something new. Take the phone and the manual and go to your bedroom. Read the entire manual like you're reading a book so you can see just what the phone can and will do. When you're done, start playing around with it."

"I don't care. That won't work. I hate this touch thing. It doesn't work for me," she replies as she picks up the tossed phone and starts pressing wildly all over the screen. Of course, I have to tell her that she has to use the touch screen in a recommended manner. "You can't just go pressing anywhere on the screen to scroll around, because sometimes there's nothing to scroll or nothing to respond on the screen," I advised her.

I then reminded her that as a woman, she can't use her finger nails. She can use the slide out keyboard for that. I downloaded and installed both Iris and Vlingo for her, telling her that those apps might help do certain tasks that she otherwise would do using the touch screen or keyboard, but then she ed about having to learn those.

Unbelievable.
rolleyes.gif

I told her that she had 14 days to decide if she wanted the phone. If not, then she'd get some basic flip phone with no Internet, no Email, no cool ring tones, and limited text messaging, among other absent, nice things.

Her biggest problem, again, is that she simply has ZERO patience (I'm not talking a little; I mean absolutely NONE). She won't listen; she won't pay attention; she assumes everything; she finishes my sentences when I try to explain things to her (it's like I'm playing a game of Mad Libs); then she es when she can't figure something out.

If I become anything like her, someone please--shoot me.

Rascaldoc

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
LMAO
saw another post about this post, somewhere, and you being warned about getting flamed. First I'm not flaming. If it at any point sounds like that? lol ... get over it .....;) I do know the type though (your mom) and I'm not sure if you should get a medal for attempting to show her, or get berated for assuming you could do the impossible. Teching her is probably harder than teaching a g/f/wife who has the same attention span for tech stuff ... which is about the attention span of a gnat. :p You're the LAST person next to your dad she would learn from (in this arena). Do you know someone else not as close to her as you that would try? There is a guy here in SoFl that is an angel when it comes to patience and I have seen what he has done with some of my own family members that I run like a dog on fire when I hear they are having a tech issue .... Anyway .... I see a slew of people had read this and you had no replies so I figured I would throw in my two cents worth ... Good Luck ... ;)

evoskydive

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
LMAO
saw another post about this post, somewhere, and you being warned about getting flamed. First I'm not flaming. If it at any point sounds like that? lol ... get over it .....;) I do know the type though (your mom) and I'm not sure if you should get a medal for attempting to show her, or get berated for assuming you could do the impossible. Teching her is probably harder than teaching a g/f/wife who has the same attention span for tech stuff ... which is about the attention span of a gnat. :p You're the LAST person next to your dad she would learn from (in this arena). Do you know someone else not as close to her as you that would try? There is a guy here in SoFl that is an angel when it comes to patience and I have seen what he has done with some of my own family members that I run like a dog on fire when I hear they are having a tech issue .... Anyway .... I see a slew of people had read this and you had no replies so I figured I would throw in my two cents worth ... Good Luck ... ;)

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
LMAO

Thanks

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Had a similar problem with my Dad -- although he's 84. My sister picked him up an Evo and he played with it for a while and didn't like it at all. When I was at his house he complained that he "didn't need all that fancy stuff, he just needed a phone". I took him back to the Sprint store and swapped it out for a flip style phone and he is happy as a clam with it now.

Sometimes, and not just for the elderly, a smartphone is overkill.

jalaazul

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but y'all have me cracking up! My mom is not techie at all, but she learns how to work her phone in mins. She's in her mid 50's.

My dad has, early 60's, a basic tracphone (shudders) and grandma, 80's, has a basic phone. She said she'd never have a cell. Lol!

My aunt also has a basic cell for emergencies. And you cannot get her to answer it. She's in her late 50's.

My kids want me to root their phones when they get older. I told them id be old. They said you'll still be hacking. LMAO!

Sent from my EVOlved via Tapatalk

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
That's ironic I posted a similar thread over in the Sprint forums about with phone to get my 61-year-old mom for Christmas. She too is coming from a crappy flip phone and has been available for an upgrade since May of 2008! :eek: She saw my Evo and acted interested in getting a smartphone of her very own.

Why is that generation (55 and older) for the most part so resistant to adopting new technology? I mean, the learning curve is NOT that great on these things. We'll see how it goes with my mom after we get her phone...whichever one that may be, still trying to decide.

Reactions: jalaazul

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your mom. Mine? Today she spent hours playing Angry Birds Seasons, frustrated that she couldn't get off a specific level.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was going to simply say, PBIMF.

But let me add, mom's afraid of looking stupid. Your dad picked it up fast and that embarrassed her. Patience comes from confidence. Maybe some private training with your mom away from her hubby?

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I was going to simply say, PBIMF.

But let me add, mom's afraid of looking stupid. Your dad picked it up fast and that embarrassed her. Patience comes from confidence. Maybe some private training with your mom away from her hubby?

Nice analysis! That totally makes sense. You must be a psychologist. My step-dad has zero interest in technology so no competition there in my case. Oh and what's "PBIMF"?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm from Philly. Pay Back Is a MF. Our parents put up with us, now it's our turn. :)

I used to do tech support back in the day. I had to walk people through steps in DOS that scared them. I guess I learned how to make someone become calm, focus, and understand that we are all new at something. Some of us take two times learning it, some take five, but if you want to learn something, you'll get it.

That said, our parents can drive us crazy. My neighbor took countless times to learn copy & paste, but he finally got it. It would have been a challenge to do that with my mom!

Reactions: jalaazul

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87