Wireless Tether to Kindle Fire

Dalton37

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't see any threads in this forum on this topic. I'm sure there is something out there somewhere, but I want to get Evo 4G specific. I want to tether my kindle fire to my rooted Evo.

I am currently rooted using:
CM7
Wireless Tether 3.1-Beta 11

What else do you want/need to know?

Anyway, I don't know what settings I need to change to get this to work or even if there ARE settings that will make these things talk. Any help you can offer is appreciated. Thanks!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm running CM7 as well on my EVO. You shouldn't need the Wireless Tether app since the WiFi tether is built right into CM7 (unless the app does something that I'm not aware of)

Just go to Menu -> Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot.

From there you can turn it on, but you'll want to go to Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings -> Configure Wi-Fi hotspot first to give the network an SSID (name) and password.

Then you just turn it on, your Kindle Fire will see it as a network and you just connect to it using the password you set up above.

Piece o' cake.

You will want to turn off the wi-fi hotspot when not using it cause it's a battery drain. I found the best way to do this is just put it into the Power Widget that's available when you pull down the notification bar at the top (you can find that in Menu -> Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Interface -> Notification Power Widget -> Widget Buttons and check the WiFi AP button. Then it's a quick toggle on and off for it by just pulling down the notification bar.

Reactions: Dalton37

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo