Poor camera quality

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It has autofocus too. Remember to click somewhere on the screen.
Also, check your camera settings with the panel that comes out... adjust contrast and whatnot.

Mine is fine. I sent pictures of some documents that I couldn't scan to my sister and she could read every word.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No, but it should be at least comparable or better to other smart phones. 8MP means nothing.

Pictures (no, I'm not talking about video) are too grainy.

What settings are others using to fine tune their camera?

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was extremely disappointed with the phone initially until I tweaked the settings considerably, and took off the little piece of plastic over the lens (how did I miss that?). I put contrast and saturation at +1 and sharpness at a +2. Brightness at a +2 and took off the widescreen. Pictures came out so much better, before they were very whitewashed and faded, just plain bad. Now it is much more vivid. For pictures in the dark, I need to take the saturation down a little bit.

ManxMariner

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Try turning the sharpness all the way to the bottom. I think there is an error in the 2.1 system as my 3 other HTC Heroes have the same problem. When I turn the sharpness down they take good pictures.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I would take yours back and get a new one. There has to be something wrong with it. Honestly, for a cell phone, these are the best pics I have ever taken. Check around online for people who posted pics and video from the Evo. Now, it does not beat a Digital Camera, or a DSLR, but it is not supposed to. My digital camera takes much better pictures, but it also has a 10x optical zoom (for those who don't know, go for the optical zoom, ignore the digital zoom).

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I would take yours back and get a new one. There has to be something wrong with it. Honestly, for a cell phone, these are the best pics I have ever taken. Check around online for people who posted pics and video from the Evo. Now, it does not beat a Digital Camera, or a DSLR, but it is not supposed to. My digital camera takes much better pictures, but it also has a 10x optical zoom (for those who don't know, go for the optical zoom, ignore the digital zoom).

I agree! The colors are superb!

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As I was playing with the camera at the Sprint store, I noticed it has an ISO setting, I dont think ive ever seen that in a camera phone before. Can anyone tell me what thats set to at default? Thats something that you definitly want to keep as low as possible, the higher it is the more noise is going to be in the pictures. Unless its low light shooting, then bumping that up will probably help.

alister

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've programmed tons of phones over the last few years for my users and can honestly say my cam is the best quality I've seen. Maybe an exchange is due for you? With that said, it doesn't compare to my Canon EOS that doesn't fit too well in my pocket like my Evo.

lugnut

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind. More light equals better pictures. If you are inside in a poorly lit room, yes the pics are grainy and not the best. But turn on some lights, or take pics outside, I am happy with the quality. Dont get confused as many people do, more megapixels does not necessarily mean better camera. If they are cramming more pixels in the same size sensor as a lower megapixel sensor, it will not be as sensitive to light, and will require more light to give that crisp look. Remember this is a phone, not a camera. When I want really nice pics I bring my camera with me, but this built in camera in my phone is great in a pinch! I think its better than any other cell phone cam that I have ever had before.

forrest09

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
have no idea whats wrong with your case, but both my 8 and 1.3 cam are stunning. the front cam is comparable if not better then my pre for close shots, the clearest 1.3 ive ever seen, and the auto focus is amazing.... you may have something tweaked right... ha you know you cannn change it off black and white right ;)

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess i first need to know the purpose of the OP's post. If it was to rag on the camera then I have nothing to say. If it was to get help with a problem we would need more details. What kind of pictures are you trying to take? When and where? How much ambient light is available? There is so much more that goes into taking a "good" picture than just pointing the lens and pushing a button. And I find that the vast majority of times that when a person complains about the quality of a picture or camera they don't know squat about how to take pictures an blame it on the equipment.