Camera Sharpness Setting

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know there are a few other threads about the camera, but most of the posts are just ripping on the quality (or bragging about it).

I just want to know what you are all using for the "Sharpness" setting, and when it is best to turn it up or turn it down. I seem to have read some contradicting recommendations on how to use this setting and considering I have almost zero photography experience, I am clueless as to who is right. I have done some comparison photos with it all the way up and all the way down, my only conclusion is that the "high sharpness" photos look vibrant, if only a little "fake".

Wynder

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Professional photographers who do post on their own photos will always run some type of sharpen filter on the photographs they've made; however, this is done to add a *very* subtle level of sharpness to the image.

The idea is to keep the photograph looking as natural as possible, ideally, as if you were looking at the scene with your own eyes. You can tell an oversharpened image because fine details like strands of hair will begin to look pixelated or just "off".

Also, because of how it works, you also don't want to use sharpening on images taken in low light/with a high ISO as the digital noise created by the increased sensitivity to light will be amplified.

MrLogan13

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Increasing the in-camera sharpness will increase the level of noise in your photos. If you want to sharpen your photos, do so in post-processing as software on your computer will do a better job of sharpening than the phone will.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, because of how it works, you also don't want to use sharpening on images taken in low light/with a high ISO as the digital noise created by the increased sensitivity to light will be amplified.

THANKS! I think this is the answer I was looking for...to lessen the sharpness in lower light. Seems to be the variable that made the biggest difference.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Professional photographers who do post on their own photos will always run some type of sharpen filter on the photographs they've made; however, this is done to add a *very* subtle level of sharpness to the image.

No they really don't. Professional photographers try to leave the photo untouched as much as possible, relying on the camera and lens to actually take a good sharp picture from the start.

In any case, if you REALLY care about quality, do NOT use the phone's settings to boost ANYTHING. Brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation, it doesn't matter. Don't do it.

Get a nice, steady, high-lit photo, and do all your processing work later on your PC, with Photoshop. It'll do much better quality, and you can actually see what affect it's having to the picture at fullsize.

Wynder

May 21, 2010
Visit site
No they really don't. Professional photographers try to leave the photo untouched as much as possible, relying on the camera and lens to actually take a good sharp picture from the start.

We attempt to get our composition right in camera. We adjust camera settings and lighting (when available) to get a tack sharp image. Regardless, unless it's being shot for a news agency, every image goes into Lightroom (or aperture) where exposure, contrast and saturation are often adjusted before being set off to Photoshop for any retouching or cloning that might be needed. And, yes, the last step is always an unsharpen mask.

Scott Kelby, Joe McNally, Dave Cross -- it's what's done. Sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creshosk