Gmail vs. Mail

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, apparently I have both going (as I have an exchange account and a Gmail account that I use), but what I noticed is that my Gmail account is actually present in both and e-mails sent to that are duplicated in each app. Quite annoying. I would prefer to use the Gmail app for both of my accounts, but I don't think that's possible (is it?). So that leaves me with one option, how the heck do I remove my Gmail account from the Gmail app? Finally, should I do this? Is there something vital the Gmail app offers me that the Mail app doesn't?

Khidr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The gmail app gives you threaded messages. The default app won't.

One other option you might want to try is K-9 Mail. This will give you a unified inbox for both accounts, but doesn't do threading.

In the gmail app, on the inbox view, if you go to settings, you can turn off notifications for the app, which will make it no longer show you new mail in the status bar from the gmail app.

Then, dump the icon off your homepage, and it's a non-issue.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I should also disable Gmail syncing I assume (to help with battery life). If doing so, will this affect Mail or K9?

Khidr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't 'think' it would. You set up gmail in the other apps using exchange/activesync, so I don't think they're dependent on the native sync, but I have gmail going so I can easily get through long threaded messages.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So what you're saying is to run my Gmail on Gmail and my Exchange on Mail? Seems dumb to have two different mail applications for both my accounts?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
So what you're saying is to run my Gmail on Gmail and my Exchange on Mail? Seems dumb to have two different mail applications for both my accounts?

that's what i would do.

i set up 2 Gmail accounts -

1. home
2. work (forwarded from my work email server) (i changed my "reply to address" to my work email address)

yes i know - #2 is crude - but effective.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Coming from a Blackberry, I actually prefer the separation of the accounts. I get so many work e-mails that I really need 2 inboxes. One for Gmail accounts, and one for Exchange. I'm assuming this is the default setup?

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So I disabled my Gmail notification since I'd like to use one application for both accounts. However, I realized that on the Mail app only my Exchange account is Push while my Gmail account is set to check every so often. I want them both to be pushed.

Will K9 do this? If so, is K9 the best alternative?

Khidr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you set gmail up as an exchange account it will push. you can do this by using the setup instructions for the iphone:

here

using one account or two is totally preference. I use K-9 most of the time for its unified inbox, but if I have a big thread (a bunch of people all replying) I pop open the gmail app to get through it more quickly.

k-9 will also do push for both through webdav(exchange)

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So I disabled my Gmail notification since I'd like to use one application for both accounts. However, I realized that on the Mail app only my Exchange account is Push while my Gmail account is set to check every so often. I want them both to be pushed.

Will K9 do this? If so, is K9 the best alternative?
K-9 will PUSh and POLL. You can enable one or the other or both on a per account basis.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I actually prefer to have my gmail and exchange mail in two separate apps. I don't want my personal mixed in with my work mail. Also they are two totally different systems in the way they function and they would not mix well together.... I like the way each system functions for what I use them for and I wouldn't want that to change.

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If you use the mail account for both Gmail and a separate exchange account, each has a separate inbox. The mail from each doesn't mix with the other.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you use the mail account for both Gmail and a separate exchange account, each has a separate inbox. The mail from each doesn't mix with the other.

That's fine, but Gmail emails don't get synced as they arrive, you have to specify an interval for syncing, which this day in age is just not acceptable.

Basically, if I want to have both, my Gmail and Exchange, emails coming in as they arrive, then I'd have to use Mail for the Exchange and the Gmail app for my Gmail. That's lame.

Will K9 push my emails as they arrive to both accounts?

tschwenke

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually I just set them both up in the HTC Mail application (Gmail and Earthlink) and for the Gmail I only have it syncing the calendar (unchecked the mail and the contacts). I get contacts/calendar from Outlook on wired sync and my mail is all in one application. I have been thinking of trying K9, but so far so good, easy enough to select the pull down to see what account.

Actually if they did it like the calendar where it is color coded to what calendar it came from that would be awesome for a unified inbox...

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually I just set them both up in the HTC Mail application (Gmail and Earthlink) and for the Gmail I only have it syncing the calendar (unchecked the mail and the contacts). I get contacts/calendar from Outlook on wired sync and my mail is all in one application. I have been thinking of trying K9, but so far so good, easy enough to select the pull down to see what account.

Actually if they did it like the calendar where it is color coded to what calendar it came from that would be awesome for a unified inbox...

But you're fine with not getting your Gmail emails coming as they arrive? I'm not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch