Finally got my HTC Evo! But, there are A LOT of angry customers out there!

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
When I was at Best Buy on launch day (Friday), as I sat for three hours waiting on the slow system to conclude my transaction, I watched and listened to a steady stream of people who didn't pre-order come in and ask to buy an Evo. Each time, the BBY clerk told them nicely that they're all sold out, but that if they wanted, they could be put on a waiting list to get one on the 10th. Almost every single one of these people were upset to some degree, incredulous that they were sold out ("I see a whole bunch of 'em right there in your cabinet; why can't I buy one of those!" "Because those are all pre-orders, Sir!"), and none of them wanted to pre-order. One guy went so far as to say he wasn't going to leave the store until he got one, and that the whole business of pre-ordering wasn't fair because he was there and they had Evo's in the store, so he should be able to get one. When the clerk explained to him that they were already pre-purchased by way of deposit, he said he didn't care, and that it was BBY's responsibility to rectify the situation. He stood there for an hour and a half being a general pain in the ass before one of the clerks happened to say, "You know, you can order from bestbuy.com and have it next-day shipped to you. Do you want to do that?" The guy said that would be fine and the clerk told him to come in at 9:30 p.m. (their next available appointment) and she would help him with that. He said okay and left.

The sense of entitlement of some people is appalling. Those of us who were sitting there while the steady stream of people walked in and out all sat quietly and didn't look up or at these people because we were almost ashamed of having played by the rules and pre-ordered, having the sexy Evo's in our hands. There was nothing for us to be ashamed of, but I had the same feeling as when I walked through the streets of some poor third-world countries where I was a "have" and the others were "have-nots."

There were a few nice people who, when being told the phones were sold out, smiled and said, "Ok, no problem. Good for Sprint. I'll be back in a few weeks when the fervor dies down," but I can count those people on one hand.

I was one of those people. Went in the Monday after launch inquiring if they had any Evo's. They said no, I told them I'm glad that it's selling.

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Imagine that you're Sprint. You've just sold out of every Evo you can get ordered, and set all-time sales records. Of course the iPhone is going to draw some people, but are you worried that your going to lose money?

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it, Sprint and HTC seem to be doing a pretty reasonable job getting shipments out to stores. I got put on the waiting list for my Evo on Tuesday and got it Thursday. No complaints here :)

Last edited:

vikingjunior

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a good thing (for Sprint) there sold out as the device becomes even that more desirable. People must think if it's sold out it must be a killer phone. The EVO has really caught your everyday folks attention. There are plenty of(like iphone devices out there but this is the first one the public has really taken notice of.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I preordered at Best Buy the first day you could preorder. On Launch day I was second on Best Buys appointment calendar to get my EVO. I was lucky enough that I got in and out rather quickly as Sprints System had not yet crashed. But there were a few people who came in and like stated were very upset they couldn't just buy one right now. One guy even said "Well they told me if I preordered I could get one." and they asked if he preordered with a $50 deposit and he said "No, he just ASSUMED they would have some extra phones." Same thing they told him he could preorder for the next shipment due in about 5 - 7 days and he STILL said he would just check back in a week to see if they had any left over... WOW... I mean it's not like your going to throw away $50 and then still owe $200 when the phone arrives... Your $50 goes towards the phone.... That being said it's funny.... My local best buy, radio shack and sprint stores all say they are sold out.... Yet BOTH Walmart stores in my area had 5 on the shelf in their electronics department.... Just look around or preorder.. But don't get mad....

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I went to a private shopping at Best Buy last Sunday hoping to nag a sd card (sold out since launch I was told :(). A few customers used me as an excuse as to why they should have an evo. They though I snagged mine there lol. Apparently customers were told to come to the private viewing to get an evo with the 1k pts, but they've been sold out since launch. BB reps were telling everyone they can reserve, but people were outraged. I had to hide my evo in my purse the rest of the event, I got the death stare when I had it out :(

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I must've got lucky. I walked right into a best buy on the 4th near where I live after work, and they had plenty available for purchase.