Camera really is bad

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says, this camera is garbage. My 3.2 MP blackberry tour camera took better photographs. Every picture is so damn grainy. I thought this would replace a point and shoot...this is garbage.

The worst is that it sticks out of the phone! I would be fine with it if it was good...I'd be able to justify it, well it's a good camera that's why it has to stick out of the phone. But it's a garbage camera and it sticks out of the phone.

Ugh.

Had to rant.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site
People will say its a phone, but on some level I agree. Even compared to my palm pre... given that I was expecting a step up... the camera and video capture are not at all that exciting to me.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Setting the ISO from 200-400 makes the photos night and day better. Just giving you guys a heads up. Cause after changing to 400 on my Evo, it took way better pictures then my Pre ever did.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Evo takes better pics than the Pre, even though the Pre's camera was a lot faster in processing the image. With all camera phones, good lightning is key.

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the tip but nothing is helping this. I can't speak for the pre, just the tour, but I can say that the tour took forever to focus and take the photo. But at least when it took a photo, it was good! This, I mean...I don't even understand...well I do understand, it's cheap and it says 8 MP on it, it's a selling point. It shouldn't be. I have a feeling the new iphone camera is going to put this to shame, it's 5 MP will make this look like a joke because frankly I feel like anything can make this camera look like a joke. I've tried every iso setting possible to just take a picture of my bed in a well lit room and everything is soooo grainy, not even looking at it in full resolution either!

Again, sorry...I just had to rant (again). I feel better now. LOL

In the evo's defense, everything else is great. But wow do i hate this camera.

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says, this camera is garbage. My 3.2 MP blackberry tour camera took better photographs. Every picture is so damn grainy. I thought this would replace a point and shoot...this is garbage.

The worst is that it sticks out of the phone! I would be fine with it if it was good...I'd be able to justify it, well it's a good camera that's why it has to stick out of the phone. But it's a garbage camera and it sticks out of the phone.

Ugh.

Had to rant.
Have you tried to make adjustments in the settings? Are you referring to the pics using a flash?

I don't discount your experience at all ... but I'm pleased with the clarity of my photographs...especially those taken in daylight. I'm still figuring out the most effective range of the flash, however.

Here's a pic taken last weekend on Shaw Island...up in the San Juan Islands in northern Puget Sound. It was a gorgeous day.

mail

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh I have, I kid you not I took over 200 pictures using every different setting and I wasn't happy...and I don't even have that high of expectations, I just want it to look at least as good as the 3.2 MP from a BB Tour. Even the photo above, I mean it looks good on first glance but note the following things:

1) It's low resolution, that means it had a lotttt of pixel averaging to look that clear

2) The hair on the ears and the area in the top right corner are totally washed out.

That's just sad to me.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Its a phone and it has the advantage of taking decent pictures. The Tour obviously had a better camera than the Curve because the pictures that came out of that thing were only good for MMS. Not even facebook worthy. I don't think this is a bad picture coming from a phone, it would have been better had I changed the ISO from auto to a lower setting and also changed the white balance to cloudy instead of auto. Its good enough that I don't feel the need to carry my camera everywhere just in case I see something worth taking a snapshot.

4699216594_a774298e23.jpg

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this one is too bad:

c8d40a59.jpg

Or this one:

1aed3dd9.jpg

I took this one of my daughter using the zoom feature of the phone:

9a92f650.jpg

It can't touch the quality of one of my Nikon DSLR's, but for a camera, I'm pretty pleased.

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
@ Edge767: First photo, nice. The rest, grainy. Very grainy.

@ rufflez: Definitely tried cleaning the lens

@ Everyone: I guess I can see where you're all coming from in saying it's not bad for a camera phone, but based on what sprint said and what I expected from the # (8MP) I thought I wouldn't need a point and shoot anymore. Thing is, a 5 MP slim casio is sooo much better. My blackberry tour didn't give me such grainy images either. That's all.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@ Everyone: I guess I can see where you're all coming from in saying it's not bad for a camera phone, but based on what sprint said and what I expected from the # (8MP) I thought I wouldn't need a point and shoot anymore. Thing is, a 5 MP slim casio is sooo much better. My blackberry tour didn't give me such grainy images either. That's all.

You have to realize that a camera phone will never fully replace a camera. There simply isn't enough room for optics and a decent sized sensor to rival that of a dedicated camera.

Just curious, what made you think it could replace your point and shoot? 8 MP? Cramming more pixels into a tiny sensor is generally more detrimental than anything else. Unfortunately, it's a great selling point as the casual user generally think the more megapixels the better.

I just ask because every review I read said the camera was a step up from most camera phones, but none even hinted that you could throw your point and shoot in the closet as you won't need it anymore...

fifolo

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Agree, the camera is a disappointment. I didn't expect it to set the world on fire, but really, my Nokia N95 generated much better images. And didn't suffer from the flash from hell that ruins half of them right out of the gate. Putting an 8mp sensor in jut to inflate the specs is self defeating.

kurtd#AC

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My Palm Pre @ 3mp took crystal clear pics. These pics with my evo in bright day light are very grainy when viewed at actual size! Id rather have a lower mp camera that takes clear pics rather than 8mp that takes grainy pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez