goodbye comcast. hello evo.

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm only using my evo as my internet from now on. I got a 25 percent discount and unlimited data which brings my bill way down.3g speeds are decent but 4 g will be coming soon. Best part is I have.mobile internet now.

BTW Comcast has a 200 gig cap incase anyone knew. Finally makes this phone worth it.

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I ditched my 45/month with Time Warner Cable with 5mbps, and using Evo now, I get about 3mbps at the moment. Just waiting for 4g here in Queens

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Woow is that good??? U guys making me want to cancel my internet provider cause I would save a lot of money

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Woow is that good??? U guys making me want to cancel my internet provider cause I would save a lot of money

More than likely you would not be happy with the results. (unless your internet currently sucks, or you're really getting scammed)

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so when you get out of the house, what happens to everyone else in the house for internet?

Also, You get 12mb in most areas, and it is being upgraded to even faster speeds. So, if you have cable, the internet is like $43. $30 for the tethering. So you are saving $13 a month and unless you live alone, no one else in the home can use the internet if you are not home. $13 a month is not enough savings for me to drop my speeds down that low. Even though I am set at 12mb, I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and get about 20mb. Even at its best, 4G is what, 6mb. That is if you live in a 4G area.

You make it sound like you are saving a lot of money. But you are not.

Last edited:

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so when you get out of the house, what happens to everyone else in the house for internet?

Also, You get 12mb in most areas, and it is being upgraded to even faster speeds. So, if you have cable, the internet is like $43. $30 for the tethering. So you are saving $13 a month and unless you live alone, no one else in the home can use the internet if you are not home. $13 a month is not enough savings for me to drop my speeds down that low. Even though I am set at 12mb, I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and get about 20mb. Even at its best, 4G is what, 6mb. That is if you live in a 4G area.

You make it sound like you are saving a lot of money. But you are not.

$0 for tethering my friend. Also when you say what about people in your house when you leave - I counter with what about YOUR computer when you leave. I take my laptop around and its nice to just hook it up and have internet wherever. Laptop + free evo tethering > fast cable.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify a number of things. Comcasts cap is 250GB/month.

At my current 20mbps speeds with Comcast I have never come close to using a fifth of that, and we do a lot of gaming and video online.

At 4 to 6mbps speeds of the Sprint 4G network our gaming latency would become unbearable. And downloading video would be much too slow.

Do what you like, but I suspect you won't be happy with the results.

--
Sent from my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
You say "our" latency. If you have roommates this is not a solution. I am talking about living by yourself. Also if you are an addict gamer this is also not a fix.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
$0 for tethering my friend. Also when you say what about people in your house when you leave - I counter with what about YOUR computer when you leave. I take my laptop around and its nice to just hook it up and have internet wherever. Laptop + free evo tethering > fast cable.

Ok, so you run the hack to do the tethering without paying Sprint. Fine and dandy. But when you leave home, it there not anyone left behind that may want to get onto the internet? I can see this as an option for someone who lives alone and does not care on how slow their internet speed is. Then online gaming. I know there are people who say they have no issues with it, but since wireless internet services started, lag was always an issue with those type of services. Microwave, statalites, cell, and there is a few more, I just don't remember them.

Do what you want. It is a free country. But I would rather keep my 20mb down and 4mb up on Comcast, with 1 PC, 2 Laptops, an Xbox 360, and a Wii online. Not just one at a time. Even if I manage to hack the WiFi in the Evo, everyone else would be upset every time I left the house. They would also be very upset on how slow their connection is and how much lag in the games. And as for the Comcast 250gb cap. I at most got to 100gb once. I am normally at about 45gb a month. I am not sure how they measure it, but it seems to be a bit on the low end. Which is good.

Also, Comcast has ALWAYS had the 250gb cap. They just did not tell anyone. If you used 250gb, you would get a call and an email from Comcast telling you that you are using too much data and they may shut you off for abusing the network. So if you never got one of those calls/emails you never went over 250gb.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana