EVO without google...

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that Palm actually embraced them as much as they tolerated them in order to keep the OS moving as they faced some serious financial issues.

Which is kinda my point ::smile:: I dont think bigger companies would do what palm Tolerated..

I guess if I had not been for palm being a small company and having financial issues we might not have that great community.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Which is kinda my point ::smile:: I dont think bigger companies would do what palm Tolerated..

I guess if I had not been for palm being a small company and having financial issues we might not have that great community.

Very true, my point however is that Palm's culture towards OS user hacking was more restrictive when they were one of the "big boys" of the smartphone world.

Despite the corporate culture towards the user community, there is no denying that the WebOS concept was (is) brilliant in it's simplicity and openess. I still think has one of the cleanest and most user friendly UI designs of any mobile OS today.

Is unfortunate that what Palm released amounted to a beta-version of WebOS, lacking some basic functionality available on it's previous Treo line for years. Some would argue the same was true of initial releases of iOS and Android, however Palm had more years of experience on mobile OS development than any other company at the time. Myself (and many others) did expect more from their initial OS release after such a long wait.

Palm virtually stopped any active development of PalmOS with the Treo 650 back in 2004, and sold PalmOS rights to Access, Ltd. in 2005, among other things, to develop of a new mobile (linux based) platform. Then it can be argued that Palm had a good 3-4 years to develop WebOS into a mature product for release in early 2008. What they released was hardly mature in my opinion.

That is why Palm is where it is today... and if I sound angry at Palm is because I am!

Last edited:

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Despite the corporate culture towards the user community, there is no denying that the WebOS concept was (is) brilliant in it's simplicity and openess. I still think has one of the cleanest and most user friendly UI designs of any mobile OS today.

unfortunate that what Palm released (sniped)...(sniped) was hardly mature in my opinion.

That is why Palm is where it is today... and if I sound angry at Palm is because I am!

Agreed ::smile::

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wish HTC would have bought Palm.... Would have been very interesting to see WebOS Developed and put on HTC hardware. I played around with a Pre and I liked WebOS but from the first time I picked up the Pre I just didn't like the hardware at all. My brother took the plunge and he loves WebOS but in a year he has had 7 Palm Pre phones for all sorts of Hardware problems. Right now his Pre keyboard no longer lights up and he is debating on getting a replacement or waiting to see what HP does with WebOS. He likes my EVO and Android but has some kind of loyalty to Palm and the OS.

Palm should have done what most companies do these days and built the software around an iPhone like device instead of coming out with the Pre and Pixi (what man can honestly own a phone called the Pixi?)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I mean what could they do with a budget of a small company say palm (just before the buyout)

But don't overlook the fact that Palm's status of a "small" company was largely their own fault.

When they bought the Treo line by buying Handspring, they basically owned the non-Blackberry Smart Phone market. And they squandered it, failing to build on it, and failing to develop a more modern version of the OS that was capable of handling multi-tasking, multiple radios (3G and BT and WiFi) simultaneously, etc.

What about WebOS, you ask? Can't really give the old Palm credit for that. Elevation partners brought in a whole new management and design team, and largely a new software team. The WebOS palm is, for all practical purposes, a startup, with only vesitages of the old Palm.

Palm squandered its position in the market, and has no one but itself to blame for being such a small company with such limited resources.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I kinda think the opposite of the OP. It's actually surprising that a company as poorly managed as Palm could develop an OS like WebOS.

On the other hand perhaps it isn't so surprising that they produced phones that were so bad people have had to replace their replacement phones. And an OS that people had to patch on their own. Not because Palm built a community, but because the users were left with little alternative except to resolve the issues themselves.

Not a track record to be envied by any company.

--
Swyped on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty