Got an Evo today -coming from Palm Pre

trim81

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome.

So far so good with this phone, wish I have a method to root this bad boy now though.

Regardiing SMS Tone Per Contact, I installed HandCent and it works fine thus far.

What Ive noticed is that, with the 2.2 update (not that I used the phone prior to 2.2), but all GMAIL accounts are not being synced -only the first account. (been reading this issue on the boards too)

What I did was installed K9 and it works pretty good so far. Similar to chatteremail with IDLE PUSH

I like this phone so far, pretty cool.

Question: Is there a way to overclock this evo without root?

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're not installing from the market then you are manually installing a .apk file (like a .exe file in Windows). You just copy the file onto the root of the SD card (that's on the SD card and not is a subdirectory/folder) then browse to the file with a file browser app (like Astro or ES File Explorer). Tap the file and it should launch. There is a setting that has to be enabled for installing non-Market apps (Settings > Applications and check the box for Unknown sources).

Just to clarify, does the copying an .apk require the device to be tethered to my PC? or can this all be done with menus on the EVO alone? I'm not seeing an option for anything that seems to allow me to copy a URL into a downloader, so I assume I do have to download the file on my desktop, then move it to the device SD with it tethered, is that correct?

Does this work without root?

Sorry for the baby steps, I swear I'll catch up to speed on playing with the EVO's guts (and Android) soon!

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Got the evo 3 weeks ago from the pre. But I am missing the keyboard so even though I love this phone, I'm taking it back this week to wait for the epic. The pre will seem very small after having the big screen.

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
On the Pre you could minimize, slide the window and maximize the other open window. Back and forth up to some (seven?) number of windows. I will say that the back button on the Evo comes close. You can go straight from the new program back to the old program in one tap. If you want to go forward a long press on the home and select the one you want.

Interesting to me that when I am in the home screens I find sliding one screen either direction convenient, two screens either direction is inconvenient and three screens I just don't do. I'll go to the "app organizer" (Nice program like, but better than, the old Palm homescreen).

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, does the copying an .apk require the device to be tethered to my PC? or can this all be done with menus on the EVO alone? I'm not seeing an option for anything that seems to allow me to copy a URL into a downloader, so I assume I do have to download the file on my desktop, then move it to the device SD with it tethered, is that correct?

Does this work without root?

Sorry for the baby steps, I swear I'll catch up to speed on playing with the EVO's guts (and Android) soon!

That's the way I did it. You can try to email the file to yourself then save it to the SD card. If that works then there is no need to connect the USB cable, but I haven't tried that. You do not have to be rooted to run an akp file, you just need to make sure the option for unknown sources is checked (menu>settings>applications). Then you have to use a file browser app (astro, es file explorer, etc...) to browse to the file and click it. It should run a setup, just like an exe file in Windows.

EDIT: There are some APK files (apps) that do require you to be rooted. This is because those applications need root access in order to install and run. This does not mean that you have to be rooted to run an apk file. It's an app requirement, not a requirement for running apk files. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, for the palm pre: there was a patch called SMS Tone Per Contact

Anything similar like this for the Evo?

Basically, I want to silence all my twitter 40404 text messages and make my other contacts audible

yea, when you open the contact card (you can do this by going into the people app, then clicking on your contact) there is an option to change this persons ringer. theres even an option to send a person to voicemail.

edit: nm thats for a call ringer. idk about your inquiry then.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
On the Pre you could minimize, slide the window and maximize the other open window. Back and forth up to some (seven?) number of windows. I will say that the back button on the Evo comes close. You can go straight from the new program back to the old program in one tap. If you want to go forward a long press on the home and select the one you want.

Interesting to me that when I am in the home screens I find sliding one screen either direction convenient, two screens either direction is inconvenient and three screens I just don't do. I'll go to the "app organizer" (Nice program like, but better than, the old Palm homescreen).

Not sure if you are aware of this, but instead of sliding two or three screens left or right, just pinch the screen and all 7 screen will come up, like cards. Select the one you want and your there in one tap. From the center home screen you can tap the home button and get to this card view also. Just a tip in case you didn't already know.

reverendrhino

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know that, nice.
Not sure if you are aware of this, but instead of sliding two or three screens left or right, just pinch the screen and all 7 screen will come up, like cards. Select the one you want and your there in one tap. From the center home screen you can tap the home button and get to this card view also. Just a tip in case you didn't already know.

maduhbee#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ex-Pre Owner, and I miss the multi-tasking ability of the Pre. I guess I'm one of those lucky few who didn't really get the "too Many cards" error. One thing I know for a fact though: I can get my EVO to crash EVERY TIME (I'm on my second EVO now, first EVO was plagued with dust underneath the glass) by using navigation (whether it's Sprint or Google Maps) and talk on the phone... With or Without Using Bluetooth... Haven't tried it yet with Bluetooth completely disabled, but the phone will reset.

This happened on my first phone, and it happens on this phone as well... Now I'm getting light leakage again (just like the first phone). It'll be a matter of time before dust will settle between the glass and the LCD of the phone.

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My biggest concern was the keyboard also. I have gotten pretty quick with the touch screen keyboard now. When I use my daughter's Pre, the keyboard just seems cramped,lol. After having my Evo for about 2 months, I still miss the Pre's calendar and the ability to have mutiple windows open so I can just jump back and forth. Hope you like your Evo!!!

you can jump back and forth between apps/windows. hold the HOME key down for a second or two and a little thing will pop up letting you jump to other things you had open.... hope this helps somebody. I found it on accident.

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I am coming from a pre and I think that the evo is a such a leap hardware wise and screen size. The only thing I miss is the ease of swiping things on the screen to delete them. Does anyone know how to clear search history? Like in the browser, and App store search history?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I am coming from a pre and I think that the evo is a such a leap hardware wise and screen size. The only thing I miss is the ease of swiping things on the screen to delete them. Does anyone know how to clear search history? Like in the browser, and App store search history?

For browser history just hit the Menu button when you have the browser open and then hit more and then history... Once the history is open hit menu again and the hit clear. I can't figure out how to clear search history from the App store?????

Also if you hit the search icon from the main screen and then the menu button and settings you can clear "Short Cuts" or search history as well.....