Best way to back-up evo

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So I love my new EVO but my battery life stinks. I have tried all the tricks...turned everything off and still only get abot 5-6 hours before a charge is needed with moderate usage. I want to try a Hard reset and start from scratch. My contacts and stuff are all backed up on Gmail but is there a way back up everything else (apps, settings, texts, etc...) This is one feature I miss from my old Pre days. And yes I have ordered a second battery but 5-6 hours is still not enough even with two batteries.

On a side note I love the phone. I just ordered a extra battery, cradel, 32gb card, barely there case, and a boxwave screen protector so I am all in. Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at mybackup in the market. I use it and have been very happy with it. You will still need to do some setup but it saves a lot of time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bender1077

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I use ASTRO file mgr and SMS Backup and Restore when factory resetting my EVO. Both are FREEEEEE and work great! If needed, you can B/U your contacts to SD Card from PEOPLE - MENU - Settings - Import/Export - Export to SD card.

newyorker545

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does MyBackup Pro restire phone and applications settings?

I did a back up and restore using MyBackup Pro 6 this past weekend. I had to manually change my settings and manually eliminate duplicate contacts. My applications acted as if I just installed them for the first time and needed to input settings. Is there a way to restore phone and app settings in MyBackUp Pro?

By restoring contacts, and recreating my Exchange Activesynch account, I ended up with duplicates. Should I NOT have restored email, contacts, and calendars and just recreate the Exchange Activesynch account?

guerillatwang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased it and backed up all apps and data to the SD card as a zip file. I plan on doing a hard reset today. What do I need to do after I do the reset? Just open up mybackupPro and click the restore button?

MBUP will be the first thing you download from the app catalog, after that you just want to go to "restore", select the things you want to restore, and voila!

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
well I did the backup and that all went fine but after installing everything and playing with the settings my phone died in 4 1/2 hours. i'm hoping my new battery that I ordered will be better.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Uncheck Enable always on mobile network. Turn on IM programs.

After upgrading to froyo, my battery life was 7 hours the first day because I forgot to change those settings (again, since I had those disabled on 2.1).

After I changed it, I was back to 30-40 hours. For example, today is an extremely heavy use day (for me). I used my phone about 5 hours today for talk while on WiFi and still receiving emails and playing games, and sending lots of personal email between meetings. I'm at 40% battery life. Normal usage is a day and half. Light usage is 2 days.

I don't need IM. Why? Text me if you need a hold of me on the phone. For emergencies, I do log into gtalk or msn if I need to find someone and I'm without my computer, but otherwise it doesn't auto-login.

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Did you mean turn on IM programs or off? I already have always on data off and disabled google talk from auto sign in. I've never used IM in my life...still no help.

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
it sounds like starting from scratch would be the way to go for you. and I don't mean just restoring everything from your backup. I mean just sync your gmail contacts and then install one app a day and go from there to see whats causing your poor battery life. even with my moderate use of social apps and texting and some web, i get 15hrs out of it.

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I did what dpg suggested and hard reset without backing up apps and the only apps i didn't reinstall was jewels and AP mobile (which i had set up for manual update.) As of right now my battery is at 20% after being off the charger for 18 hours with moderate to heavy usage....way better battery then yesterday. Thanks a bunch!

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Great! MyBackup is exactly what I needed cause I too am planning on doing a factory restore yet I would still like my SMS, MMS, Call Log, etc. data. My battery has been pretty crappy and I'm sure it's because of apps not optimized for Froyo.

Last edited:

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
...but otherwise it doesn't auto-login.

I already have always on data off and disabled google talk from auto sign in. I've never used IM in my life...still no help.
Auto sign in only pertains to when you actually open the app and not when your phone turns on. That's "sign in on startup" which is in Fring and that was killing my battery before I knew it was checked off by default. However, there is a bug in the app Talk that whether or not automatically sign in is checked it will still sign you in once you open. So basically don't open Talk and if you do don't forget press menu and select sign out.

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Auto sign in only pertains to when you actually open the app and not when your phone turns on. That's "sign in on startup" which is in Fring and that was killing my battery before I knew it was checked off by default. However, there is a bug in the app Talk that whether or not automatically sign in is checked it will still sign you in once you open. So basically don't open Talk and if you do don't forget press menu and select sign out.

I actually didn't use Mybackup the second time I did the hard reset because I used it the first time and the battery was just as crappy.

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I used Dashwire to back up my phone to the cloud when I was a WM user until BestBuy bought them. I never had a problem with them. Now they're back as M:IQ. I have used this for backup but haven't restored from it yet. App is free in the market.

m:IQ

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I actually didn't use Mybackup the second time I did the hard reset because I used it the first time and the battery was just as crappy.

Yeah I backed up all the apps and data but only restored SMS, MMS, and call log data. Apps I redownloaded to start off fresh. Appears to be better now. I have only 1-2 bars of service here at work so that's a main reason my battery was dying quickly. I'll have to see how it lasts after my midday recharge.

Last edited:

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, 1-2 bars at my new Apt...sometimes none. I got my Airwave in the mail today but guess what....its not getting a signal either. Just attached the external GPS antenna hopefully that does the trick. My battery life was very good today too.