smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For all the BlackBerry to Evo owners.

How was the switch?

What do you miss?

What do you like?

Is the a notification light?

I am currently on a Curve 8330. The Evo looks like the android I will switch to.

Also one last question.. With all this talk about 30fps locked screen... Is it really that noticeable?? I mean sure there may be some lag... But hell it can't be any worse then the BB screens??

mcgilla

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
How was the switch?

Half hard, half easy. Loved navigating the OS and browser. Still not used to virtual keyboard.

What do you miss?

BB Tour's qwerty. By far.

What do you like?

Speed and multitaskability. Screen size. Better video recording.

Is the a notification light?

Yes.

ElCartelDR

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You should try a diff keyboard. I had a curve and the Pre right before the Evo and I hate the stock HTC keyboard, the droid 2 multitouch keyboard works so much better for me.

mcgilla

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You should try a diff keyboard. I had a curve and the Pre right before the Evo and I hate the stock HTC keyboard, the droid 2 multitouch keyboard works so much better for me.

I don't know if that was directed at me, but I don't necessarily have a "problem" with the HTC keyboard. It just takes a while to get used to. I do like the autocorrect right above it and im getting much better at it. I also had the same clunky problems switching to the Tour's qwerty after being on T9 all my life.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Tour and I thought I was gonna have a anxiety attack when it was time to switch to the Evo. LOL Luckily it wasn't as bad as I thought I do miss my BBM, Berry buzz led notifications but that's pretty much it. I did find the HTC keyboard a little hard to use but after while you get use to it.

I love everything about the Evo it's the most amazing phone I've ever seen!
the only thing I don't like is there is no notification light like berrybuzz it's just a very small blinking green light.

hammey22

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had both the 8330 and the 9650 although they were nice phones the ONLY thing that I miss from either of them is the battery life. Outside of that I was never a BBM convert, so I don't miss anything there.

I LOVE the huge screen, the ability to see fully HTML in my emails, and of course the browser just destroys the BB's. You get a notification light, and frankly the smartest thing you can do if you don't already is to make your Gmail account you primary and then you are golden. For text messages, I use SMS Popup and feel like that blows the BB away again.

Fun factor is not even comparable, the EVO hands down wins. Frankly, having seen BB6 I have no intention of ever going back PERIOD. Don't even sweat a change, you will love it! Good Luck!!!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Curve 8330 and I was deciding between the Bold 9650 (Tour 2) and the EVO.

I was never much of a BBM user, so that didn't affect me. I had gotten pretty quick with the Curve's physical keyboard, so moving to the virtual keyboard was a stretch for me, but after trying out the HTC_IME Mod (I hated the arrow keys) and now the stock Froyo keyboard, I'm much happier with it. I haven't been able to get my typing speed up yet, but I figure either that will come with time or I'll get Swype when it is released.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Before getting my evo almost 3 weeks ago, I was a blackberry user for about 6 years. I really liked blackberries for the most part, but if I had to sign a 2 year contract for a upgrade or new plan, I wanted a phone that was more high tech.

It's been a smooth transition. I'm a gmail user, so my emails come at about the same rate as they did on my old blackberry. I use Google Calender Sync to wireless sync my outlook now too. Battery life on my old 8900 was pretty awful, so my Evo doesn't seem that bad in terms of how long the charge last(about 8 hours of heavy use, 12 hours of moderate). The virtual keyboard isn't that bad either. I'm able to type almost as quick as my blackberry, just a few more mistakes here and there. I use voice to txt fairly often too.

The only thing I miss is BBM. I had alot of my friends and family on there. I've been using google talk and pingchat to try and compensate. It's not going too bad but BBM was great cause of the groupchat(which pingchat has too..just not as polished). I now have unlimited text with sprint too, so that is also another thing that helps to make up for the loss of bbm.

I don't notice the frame rate being an issue. Everything runs smooth, and after 3 weeks there really hasn't been any lag that I've noticed. I also don't have to do anymore battery pulls! Overall, I am pleased with the Evo. It's so much faster and more reliable than my 8900.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I also switched from a BB 8330 and could not be happier

How was the switch? switch was very smooth

What do you miss? BBM

What do you like? I love everything about android

Is the a notification light? yes, but its not as good as the BB

GGotti

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I miss is the battery life but that work be solved writhing the next week since I got an extra battery and walk charger.

But other than that I love my evo. I have swype on it so I don't even miss the BB keyboard.

olemil#AC

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I too am thinking about making the switch to EVO, I've played around with it several times at the Sprint store and liked it. I've been a BB user since last Oct and really love my BB. I started out with the Tour and just switched to the Bold 9650, not a BBM user so I won't miss that. But as already mentioned, the EVO is so far advanced over the BB's I can't not try one!! This looks like a great forum full of helpful info, I will be visiting it often. TIA

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Came from the 8530 but I knew what to expect from prior phones. I've only had one bb compared to 4 htcs prior. Swype solved all my keypad issues. You'll miss the battery life and bbm, you'll love the os, screen, browser, app support...... Pretty much everything else

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have to be honest. I came from the Blackberry Tour (previously being a Blackberry owner for 2 years) and transitioning to the Evo has been extremely hard for me.

Not having a physical keyboard has been one of the hardest things to deal with. I thought that if I got the Evo, I would adjust fairly quickly due to the large screen and haptic feedback. Granted, i'm only 2 weeks into having my Evo which isn't very long but I find myself making tons of mistakes when i'm trying to compose an email or text message and it frustrates me terribly! It takes me 3 times longer to do simple things like that than it would on my Blackberry. Plus, I hate having to flip to the "symbol keyboard" just to insert a character. So I definitely miss having a keyboard.

On the Evo, I love having widgets and much more customization. Customization on the Evo is endless. I'm always moving the widgets, icons, etc around to my liking. With the Blackberry, you don't have nearly as many choices. Also, having an Android device, it comes with the market where pretty much most of the apps are FREE! They install SUPER quick and if you want to uninstall something, it takes literally 5 seconds. And the browser is AWESOME! It's truly like you're on a computer. You can watch embedded videos on the site that you're on! :D

Overall, i'm sure you'd love the Evo. Most people have no problem with the transition but i'm struggling just a bit. Therefor, i'll be returning mine.

olemil#AC

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... sorry I'm trying to hyjack the thread, but just wondering how everyone that made the switch transferred their info from the BB to EVO? I hope you can use either DM switch device wizard or maybe Outlook 2007 to transfer my contacts and calendar, hoping I didn't have to use the Gmail sync. Thanks and sorry for the questions.. hopefully it will be helpful to other BB users trying to make the switch.;)

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
How was the switch? It was a shock at first. Going from a phone with no frill to a phone that is full of frills, was well fabolous.

What do you miss? Nothing really. I guess if I had to choose I would say it was simple to use, almost stupid simple.

What do you like? Love just about everything on the EVO. My only gripe was the battery life but after rooting and applying setcpu, no complaints here.

Is the a notification light? Its a notification light but its only green. You cant change it up like berrybuzz did.

acstewart82

Android Lover
May 22, 2010
Visit site
The switch was far easier than I had anticipated and most def worth it. Anything I might have missed I've completely forgotten about. This easily hands down the best phone I've ever owned. Previous two phones being the htc touch pro and the blackberry tour. It would be easier for me to list what I don't like about the phone than what I do which is everything. I love this phone period and am with android for the long haul.

elalande

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Love my EVO had a BB Tour , miss nothing except waiting for Google maps to load which is a good thing :D.

@olemil use HTCSync will sync outlook contact no hassle

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... sorry I'm trying to hyjack the thread, but just wondering how everyone that made the switch transferred their info from the BB to EVO? I hope you can use either DM switch device wizard or maybe Outlook 2007 to transfer my contacts and calendar, hoping I didn't have to use the Gmail sync. Thanks and sorry for the questions.. hopefully it will be helpful to other BB users trying to make the switch.;)

If you use gmail, then it can automatically sync your mail, contacts, and calender so it's fairly easy. Before I did this, the guy at best buy transferred all my contacts to my Evo via bluetooth and uploaded it directly from my blackberry.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Plus, I hate having to flip to the "symbol keyboard" just to insert a character. So I definitely miss having a keyboard.

You don't have to flip to the symbol keyboard to insert a character. Just hold the letter of the corresponding character for about a second, then it'll insert in automatically.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for responding.

Another question?

What type of alarm clock is there?
Can you set more than one alarm time? I have BB smart alarm pro on the BB. Does evo have something comparable?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty