3G & GPS Back to Normal

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I like others have been experiencing GPS & 3G issues (My gps would never target my location right, always a good amount off and my 3G was brutally slow around 100-200 down and only 10 up) when I was at work. Everything worked pretty good at home. (Queens, NY)

This morning I've updated my PRL and set my phone to use Sprint only.

Now my GPS is spot on at my work location (Brooklyn, NY) and my 3G speeds are at 1866 kbps down and 691 kbps up (speedtest.net).

I hope this helps anyone else having these problems.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Which PRL are you on now?
I think that is dumb luck that it corrected those issues to be honest.

I have tested every PRL and never changed speed issues. Also the Sprint only just doesnt let you roam. This shouldnt affect anything either.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 60670. I don't think it's dumb luck, maps uses cell connection plus satellite to get your position so if I'm hopping between cell towers less it probably has more accurate information to get my location from. This is probably from not roaming to affiliated towers which Sprint seems to have a lot of. I use the antenna app and noticed I would hop between 3 different cell sites. Now I'm just sticking to one a few blocks away.

I doubt this is from the PRL but more from using Sprint only. It seemed like my GPS had more of an offset problem than location problem and I'm wondering if it had to do with hopping between sites.

I am curious though about how the PRL affected things for my area but don't know where to look it up, affiliated towers can go to roaming towers or vice versa depending upon what Sprint has done.

I think my speed increase is def a result of staying on network.

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the Sprint only helped the GPS.
I dont think the PRL helped as they never do for me, but I am on 69. I will try 70 for grins and giggles.

the app is called antenna? I may have to check this out. I never knew such a thing existed.
I never took much a notice to GPS being off base. Where do you check this? Just open Maps or lattitude or something and see where it pinpoints you?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the Sprint only helped the GPS.
I dont think the PRL helped as they never do for me, but I am on 69. I will try 70 for grins and giggles.

the app is called antenna? I may have to check this out. I never knew such a thing existed.
I never took much a notice to GPS being off base. Where do you check this? Just open Maps or lattitude or something and see where it pinpoints you?

The app is just called antenna and it's in the market it's pretty awesome to see how you hop around.

Yes, pretty much on maps I would open it up and in some locations be off by like 2 avenues and 5 blocks, in other locations I'd be fine. Last night as I traveled I was off the beaten path (maps had me in the middle of a river) then I would get locked on right where I was.

I wish I would of tried sprint only last night before I updated the PRL today. (I really agree with you and think it probably didn't do anything for my market).

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
When I woke up today and turned my phone on the little pop up was on the screen saying that I updated my PRL.... I found that rather odd for it to auto update

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I too have been having crappy 3G speeds on PRL 60669 but never had any problems with GPS. I am going to wait till i get home and do some speed tests before i update to 70. Home is where i have the most slow 3G problems.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I too have been having crappy 3G speeds on PRL 60669 but never had any problems with GPS. I am going to wait till i get home and do some speed tests before i update to 70. Home is where i have the most slow 3G problems.

Cool, please post back, I'm really curious.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they were doing something with the Sprint towers in your area. When they were finish setting up 1 tower close to my wires job, everything was slow for me case they were doing something with 1 of there towers and after that my speeds abbey been faster. It's just a hunch.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Follow up to my post. I did go home and tested using the Speed Test applicatoin. My results are mixed but overall improved with the 60670 PRL.
Several days ago, and going back weeks, i would have really slow PING times, over 999ms, when this happened, my DL speeds were under 300K on average. Over the last few days its gotten better but still around 500K. Last night i tested (before i did the PRL upgrade) and the results were still somewhat slow but overall better. So i did the PRL upgrade and i actually noticed on the next test a performance jump. The PING time before the PRL was 700ms, after was 350ms. DL speeds before were abotu 300-500K down. After the upgrade the DL speeds were 500k to about 1M down.

I will also say this speed problem i was having on 3G was prior to the 2.2 release. So it was definately a network issue, just my opinion.

And on a side note, for the first time ever, IN my office i just got a 4G signal.
Speed test on it was 291ms Ping time, DL 2640kbps, UL 215kpbs.
The icon says 4g with no bars on it so i am barely on a fringe of having service. My testing on that before has been good outside the building.
But this thread is in reference to 3G so i wont go on about my other testing with 4G..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19