Bad reception with FM radio

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL yeah i did miss that point. But i got it about 15 minutes after i posted. I was hoping no body would catch my miss. Thanks alot. LOL

I also noticed you can plug in a headset and when the FM radio is working theres a Menu option for Speaker. So at least that also gives someone at a desk or a not super noisy environment a chance to listen to it with out headphones as well.

If no body tests the BT theory out maybe i can later.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It could have to do with the type of headphones you're using (or headphone jack specifically). TRS (tip ring sleeve) or TRRS (tip ring ring sleeve). The phone jack is designed for TRRS connectors, used with headsets that have a mic. If you connect with standard headphones with a TRS plug, then that extra contact (used for mic/controls/FM radio antenna) would touch the ground/sleeve of your plug and not work properly if it tried to use it anyway. Try using a TRRS (4 contacts, 3 insulators), like one that has a microphone or those little half cords with a small remote, etc.

Try this with your TRS headphones... Open the FM radio, then plug your headphones in all the way (until you hear the snap) and let the FM radio turn on. You should hear a bunch of static... Then gently pull the plug out a little bit, just past that snap. As long as you can hold it there without pulling it out too much and turning the tuner off, you should get good reception.

You can also buy a TRS to TRRS adaptor.

I am using headphones with a microphone. It still gets bad reception. No offense to you, but if the process is more complicated than sticking the headphones in and selecting a station, then the feature isn't worth it.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
it sucks. don't bother. you're better navigating to your favorite stations website and streaming it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my EVO's FM Radio works great. if you are having problems, my conclusion is that you -

1. are using a shiitty pair of headphones.
AND/OR
2. live in the sticks.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am using headphones with a microphone. It still gets bad reception. No offense to you, but if the process is more complicated than sticking the headphones in and selecting a station, then the feature isn't worth it.

I tend to agree. If it really makes that much of a difference what headphones you use, they should have included a pair out of the box.

But, with so many varied reports of performance, it would make more sense that the headphones are kind of irrelevant and something else is causing an issue.

BigAinCA

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
You can also buy a TRS to TRRS adaptor.

I bought an adapter and it did not work for me. Not sure why. Maybe it was because it was a cheap 99 cent Chinese made item I bought off eBay. :) I finally broke down and just bought the HTC headphones and get great reception now.