Video stalls and won't record - SD card nearly full

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a question it's just an solution for those that might experience the same issue that was perplexing me.

For the past few weeks my video would stall and not record. When I selected Video in the Camera app, and then would press the record button, nothing would record. The minutes-seconds timer would not even appear. When I would leave the app, however, the camera app was still running and taxing the battery. So, I had to either force close the app in Menu>Settings>Apps or just restart the phone.

After searching the forums here, and elsewhere (oh, forbid!), I could not find a solution. Bummed, I was. I knew that my 8 GB SD card was getting full, but I had a 100 or so megabytes left. Well, on a whim, I decided to transfer all of the photos and videos from my phone to my laptop. This freed up 2-3 GB. And that was it! The Video started recording and my problem was solved.

There must be a minimum of free space available requirement for the Video in the Camera app. Unfortunately, the app does not inform the user that the Video is unable to record because of a lack of available storage. It just stalls out and continues to drain the battery.

I hope the post proves helpful for someone who may also be searching for an answer to this issue.

fyanga

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
wow! i've been wondering why my video wouldn't record. i'm experiencing the exact symptoms you've described with my phone. I think i need to transfer some files onto my card. hopefully that will help solve the issue for me!

what method did you use to transfer all the videos and images to your card?

DeeBoy21

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a 16GB card in mine with 7gb free and mine stopped recording and had all kinds of other issues, got a refurb through warranty and the same thing straight out of the box, wouldn't record video...I just gave up hope in that I'll never be able to record video on my Evo again. :(

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i always check the forums first!

hey many thanks! i deleted some old vids i had recorded and it started recording again. saved some effort for me thanks!

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
what method did you use to transfer all the videos and images to your card?

Sorry for the late delay in my reply. I just noticed that this post finally proved helpful.

I just connected my EVO to my laptop via the USB charging cable that came with the phone. Once connected, pull-down the notification bar and change "Charge Only" to "Disk Drive." It may take up to a minute for the computer to recognize the phone as a disk drive, so be patient. With my Windows computer, I then dragged the files from the phone, using Windows Explorer, to my computer's hard drive. Once it is done, I verified that the number of pictures/videos was the same, and that the total file size was the same, on the computer and the phone. After that I deleted the pictures on the phone...using Windows Explorer. I also backed up the pictures to an external backup hard drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699