Android Market

tompro53

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problemon my Evo , every time I try to download a new app or update a app the notifications bar say unsuccessful and when I go to the apps page idly say Unknown Reason-18 please help I uninstalled the Market updates & nothing I uninstalled 2 apps now they won't download.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have done some ready about this problem and there are some different things to try to get it working. Here are the ones I found:

1. Go into: Settings > Applications > All (tab) and delete the Download Manager, Market, and Market Updater.

If that doesn't work,

2. Turn off phone, remove SD card, re-install SD card, turn on phone and try again.

Still nothing?

3. Move your applications that were on the SD card back to the phone memory and use a file manager to delete the .android_secure folder from your SD card (you can also do this by connecting your EVO to a computer and mounting it as a disk).

Not fixed yet?

Have a read of this:
Issue 9593 - android - Market updates do not work for SD-installed apps on froyo - Project Hosting on Google Code

Reactions: DaneHR2

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problemon my Evo , every time I try to download a new app or update a app the notifications bar say unsuccessful and when I go to the apps page idly say Unknown Reason-18 please help I uninstalled the Market updates & nothing I uninstalled 2 apps now they won't download.

I've noticed problems with the market and task killers. Do you use a task killer?

I would suggest remove task killers, restarting the phone and trying again.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
This is the official fix.. Has come from XDA and many other forums.

Step 1 - Move all apps to internal memory from card
Step 2 - Delete android_secure file on the SD
Step 3 - Move all apps back to SD as you please, and everything will update fine.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have tried all of those tricks. I have a select few apps that will just not install unless I unmount the SD card. So every time something fails to install, I just unmount, install and mount. Annoying yes, but it works.

tompro53

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions the one that worked for me was unmount SD card, install, then mount after one time of that I haven't had a problem since, again I appreciate the feedback.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The problem with me moving all my apps from the SD card to the phone is that I have more apps than will fit on my phone which, of course, is why I have them on the SD card in the first place!

Right now to get around the problem I have to move the apps that need updating to the phone (as many as will fit in the available phone space anyway), unmount the SD card, then update, then move them back to the SD card so I swap out others that also need updating, quiet a pain. I would like to try the android_secure file option but will not be able to remove all of the apps of the SD card.

So, What happens if you delete the android_secure file while you still have apps on the SD card?

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The problem with me moving all my apps from the SD card to the phone is that I have more apps than will fit on my phone which, of course, is why I have them on the SD card in the first place!

So, What happens if you delete the android_secure file while you still have apps on the SD card?

Try to do what the guy up a few posts said. Unmount, remove, remount...It has worked for me in the past on my Hero, and that's the first thing I'll try when my Evo does it.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try to do what the guy up a few posts said. Unmount, remove, remount...It has worked for me in the past on my Hero, and that's the first thing I'll try when my Evo does it.

I've tried it and it works for some apps but not for all. There are several apps that, once they are put on the SD card, will not update unless I move them to the phone AND unmount the card. As long as the card is active they won't update anymore. Pandora is one of them, savyshopper another and so on.

It seems to me there must be a corruption of the android_secure file that is causing things since the apps won't update even on the phone if the card is mounted, but update fine if on the phone with card unmounted. The solution then would seem to be to delete the secure file as mentioned by others, but I can't move all of my apps off the card so the question remains, if anyone knows:

What will happen if I delete the android_secure file while apps are still on the card??

Edit: Don't try deleting the android_secure file while leaving your apps on the sd card. When the android_secure file is recreated, it will not include any of the apps you left on the sd card and, consequently, the launcher will not know they are there and you will not be able to access or open them.

Last edited:

losijon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
what about trying to un install an app? i get an error message that says the requested item could not be found and i cant un install?

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hallelujah! Success at last! The solution for the update problem and at least some of the installation problems (like angry birds rio) is as follows:

First, hook your phone to a computer with a usb cable - need to have your phone in "disk drive" mode. Most likely your phone will at first say "charging only." you will have to click on this to pull up a screen that allows you to change it to "mount as disk drive." Note: this may take several attempts. If your computer does not recognize the phone as being hooked-up at first, unplug it and try again.

Now, open the new drive that will appear on your computer (which, of course, is actually your phone's sd card).

Next, locate the file folders named ".android_secure" (it should be near the top of the listings).

Click on and open up this ". android_secure " folder and look for a file named "smdl2tmp1.asec"

Delete it! Destroy it! Kick it out of your life! It's what is causing the problems!

Unplug your phone. Phone will say something like "preparing sd card." It could take a bit but after that you can update all the apps including those on your sd card and angry birds and download Rio hassle free.

As there a a whole bunch of threads on this issue, please pass the fix on.

Sent from my Evo - so there!

Last edited:
Reactions: knupug and Brainerd

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
If you had read my fix on the first page this is exactly it. Your just repeating what I already wrote. Glad you guys got it fixed, but next time read the thread. The fix was already posted...

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you had read my fix on the first page this is exactly it. Your just repeating what I already wrote. Glad you guys got it fixed, but next time read the thread. The fix was already posted...

With all due respect splmonster, I have read the whole thread, in fact been monitoring it the whole time and the fix you posted on the first page of this thread is NOT the fix that we are using now.

Your suggested fix from your post was as follows:

This is the official fix.. Has come from XDA and many other forums.

Step 1 - Move all apps to internal memory from card
Step 2 - Delete android_secure file on the SD
Step 3 - Move all apps back to SD as you please, and everything will update fine.

I'm sure that works for many people but not for those of us that have a lot of apps on the SD card for two reasons 1)Very tedious to move all the apps off and then back on to the card and, more importantly 2) I can't move all of my apps from the card to my phone -- there is not enough room. Indeed the reason the apps are on the card in the first place is because i don't have enough space on the phone! I noted this in a response to your suggestion my first post in this thread. Also, I note that if you delete the android_secure file while you still have apps on the sd card, when the android_secure file is recreated it will not recognize any apps that were left on the card -- with the XDA method the apps MUST be moved off the card and then back on again for the new android_secure file to recognize them and for the phone to then access them.

The "new" fix solves that as, instead of deleting the whole android_secure folder as you and XDA suggest, its only necessary to delete the one bad file that is in the android_secure folder. This is much simpler since you don't have to move your apps off of the sd card and then back on for it to work.

BTW, I don't take credit for this, the first poster of this method was, as near as I can tell, "The Engineer" in another thread, but it was a very bare-bones statement without intructions. I do take credit for trying to explain it in a way hopefully anybody can perform, even someone that has never hooked his phone up to the computer before.

I also hope everyone passes this fix on to the number of multiple threads that are all complaining about either not being able to update apps or not being able to install certain apps like AB-Rio. I had asked the mods to merge all of these threads together and give them a sticky so there could be one place to discuss and solve the problem but to no avail. By that same token, splmonster, you may very well have posted this fix in another thread but not here and that is part of the problem, too many threads on this same issue to keep track of.

So, if you can and don't mind moving apps off the card you can delete the whole android_secure file but, if not, you only have to delete the one bad file without touching the apps.

The next question is, will this bad file reappear at some point? I think it is highly possible since I, and others, were not having problems updating apps at first and, then, something happened where it couldn't be done anymore. I'm guessing some app or some action in moving apps around created the problem and caused this bad file to be generated somehow so its possible i assume for it to happen again.

Last edited: