To contract, or not, that is the question...

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So my Pre is dying, and like everyone else, I'm finally jumping on the EVO train. My 2-year upgrade is not until this summer, but I am in need of a phone very soon. I'm likely going to get an EVO, but am also strongly considering a a shift (I love the keyboard).

My question though, is what is the benefit of NOT having a sprint contract? I have no problem fronting the $300 for a nearly new/new EVO off Ebay, and not renew my contract with Sprint if it will get me something in return. Will they offer me some special candy a few months after my contract runs out?
Small update before I post: between yesterday and today, the rebate value of 2-year contract jumped to $150, so I could get a Shift for $150 (EVO for $200 in store only). Assuming my wife and I both get Shifts, that would be $300 to pay off over 2 years to make buying off Ebay worth it.

I have been a Sprint customer for nearly 9 years, and while I don't love them, I don't hate them either, and we get a nice discount through my wife's work. I know she would LOVE an iphone though, so that is something to consider...

TLDR: is it worth it to buy an EVO off Ebay and get off Sprint's contract? Why?

Thanks!

bravesfan007

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
To me, I would just get it off eBay for the time being. If she would love an iPhone, there is always the chance that Sprint will end up carrying it and then you will not be stuck in a contract. You will then be able to go ahead and use your upgrade there. I would bet on Sprint either getting the iPhone within two years or ceasing to exist. That is just my opinion though.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on leaving Sprint soon than buy off contract otherwise theres no point in buying off contract. (though u might want to wait for the evo 3d now that it's been announced) But DO NOT buy from the sprint store get one off amazon it's $120 and the shifts are $80

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd consider roughing it out till the evo 3d is available, even of you have to use a cheap prepaid phone for a month or two.

Sent from my Sprint EVO using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Off contract, it's the only way to go. Think of it this way to - when a new device comes out just eBay your current one and buy the new one new & out right, rinse & repeat and always have the "latest" :)

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would bet on Sprint either getting the iPhone within two year

I don't doubt this. if it does happen, she would very likely upgrade to that (although I strongly dislike apple...) I really don't see us switching, but it's something to consider, especially if Verizon gets some phones which are nicer than the EVO. I do like Verizon's coverage better (I use it for work).

otherwise theres no point in buying off contract.
Like I said, I was just wondering if they'd call me a few months after I let the contract release. Sirius satellite radio offered me service at half price after two months without it!

I'd consider roughing it out till the evo 3d is available, even of you have to use a cheap prepaid phone for a month or two.

I was considering this, but it's more likely 3 months + wait time. I don't foresee myself using the 3D aspect of the EVO, but the improved internals, and supposed brighter screen sound nice. I'm sure there will be a waiting list. Who knows if I will snag the best new contract discount then too. I will have to consider this in the next couple days.

right, rinse & repeat and always have the "latest"
I've been noticing how fairly well used EVO's are still going for well over $200... It's temping to just buy the new EVO 3D, then sell it in a year.

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning on buying an Evo off contract when it drops in price a little more. I also have a Pre and really want the Evo 3D when it comes out so I don't want to use my upgrade right now.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I might have to start doing this no contract plan stuff. But the only thing that i fear is if i will have enough cash to do the off contract price until i can get my previous one sold.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you are going to stick with the company for 2 years, no reason not to renew your contract. Why not take the free money?

There's also no reason to renew at seemingly the end of a phone cycle just because it's that's time. Go month to month until the hottest new phone comes out. That's when the contract discount is most valuable. Ebay and such aren't going to get you much off MSRP first month or two without work.

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice all. I ended up getting a "mint" used EVO off ebay for $275. I figure this summer something else will probably interest me, and hopefully if we go off contract for a few months, Sprint will offer us a better deal. If not, that is OK.

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I advise to get a discount from Sprint, 200.00 for the Evo and after 1 year and 120 to get out and 10.00 off a month til it drops to 50.00

449.99 new evo ( full 1 year warranty) 200.00 after discount save 250.00
200.00 to get out...after day 1/ 120 after 12 months. 10.00 per month from day one....down to 50.00 after 19 months.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana