Juice Defender

halvecto

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I installed the free Juice Defender app from the marketplace. What a huge difference!

Anybody else using it?

I left it on standard set up and I am very pleased. Any feedback in using aggressive settings?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

canterrain

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I used it with great results. But ultimately I had to stop, because while it was going my accounts did not sync. And extra battery life is pointless if my phone isn't giving the updates I need.

I think though this won't be the case for everyone. Android and evos seem fun that way. No two devices act exactly alike. But unfortunately for me, that's the case.

josh_evo4G

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I first dowloaded the JiuceDefender Free from the marketplace. Did not see ANY difference in battery life within a week so I then uninstalled it.

I then downloaded JuiceDefender Beta and after 2 days, have seen a VERY minimal improvement. It does block some of my updates and such and I personally do not think its worth it.

I must be doing something wrong because everyone else seems to love it...lol

halvecto

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I used it with great results. But ultimately I had to stop, because while it was going my accounts did not sync. And extra battery life is pointless if my phone isn't giving the updates I need.

I think though this won't be the case for everyone. Android and evos seem fun that way. No two devices act exactly alike. But unfortunately for me, that's the case.

As I read your post, I suddenly realized why I was having sync problems. :confused: Although, I did not think to blame Juice Defender. Instead (after a google search) I did a Calendar, calendar storage and sync "clear" in the settings of my Evo and it fixed the problem. It seems that Evo does not like to install the Juice Defender after the calendar sync has occurred. Once i cleared the storage, I simply hit "sync all" and it is now working without the error. I did lose my calendar items on my phone, but not on my Outlook.

Hope this helps.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, I've been a member for a little while now. We touch this subject before about Juice Defender. To tell you truth, its been maybe 90% negative feedback about this app. Nothing really positive.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Juice Defender = Fancy Word for Task Killer

Sorry, but this is completely false. Have you even tried Juice Defender?

It is NOT a task killer. What it manages is the connectivity of your device to network data. If you always need your device connected to the network 100% of the time (because you need constant notifications from facebook, email, etc.) then JuiceDefender is not for you.

However, in its default configuration it will turn the network on every fifteen minutes to allow apps like your mail, facebook, etc. to sync and then will turn it back off. This is perfectly fine for me. It goes by your screen lock state. If your screen unlocked is on it does nothing, but when your screen locks and no app is running using data it will turn your mobile data off.

This saves a lot of battery and has a very noticeable affect for my battery life.

The only gotcha that I see is that when you unlock your phone sometimes it can take a couple of seconds to get reconnected to the network. So, for instance, say I want to check facebook -- I unlock my phone, hit my facebook shortcut and occasionally facebook will be trying to access the network before it is fully connected so you will get an error and have to exit out and go back into facebook. To me, that is a minor inconvenience for getting quite a few more hours of life out of my battery.

I use the free version and I must say it is getting me a noticeable gain on my battery life. Obviously to each his own, and if it doesn't work for you then don't use it. But it sure doesn't hurt to try installing it and using it for a week.

Reactions: Biggnaa20

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
If ever I need to ensure I have battery life I just turn off my 3G, 4G, GPS, and wifi. I was able to still text and, by the end of my 16 hour shift, I had 50% or so battery life remaining. (I had forgotten my charger) I'd rather be in control that way than use an app to essentially do the same thing. Just my opinion. I'm sure it's good for some.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If ever I need to ensure I have battery life I just turn off my 3G, 4G, GPS, and wifi. I was able to still text and, by the end of my 16 hour shift, I had 50% or so battery life remaining. (I had forgotten my charger) I'd rather be in control that way than use an app to essentially do the same thing. Just my opinion. I'm sure it's good for some.

Exactly, to each his own. I like not having to be turning it on and off all day long myself and would rather it just be done every 15 minutes for me.

I just wanted to make sure anyone reading this thread that Juice Defender is NOT a task killer.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

I uninstalled it after I installed an extended battery for the same reason. It was a worthwhile trade-off (IMO) when using the standard battery though.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If it kills the task, (even for 15 minutes at a time) it is a task killer. Semantics. And no, I don't use it. My battery last me all day with moderate use, and I don't use Facebook.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
misinformed much, last time I checked Juice Defender didn't in any shape or form attempt to kill or manage tasks on any level whatsoever.

Whoa whoa whoa....If it is stopping the phone from performing a task when it wants to, and relegates it to doing it's job based on the apps schedule being modified by the new app (JD) it is most CERTAINLY "manag(ing) tasks".

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
it manages your data connection, it doesnot control any apps. Task killers actively KILL tasks and attempt to manage memory better than Android does, this doesn't do that.

I work daily in a lead lined room, by your definition, the room that I'm in is a task killer....

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
it manages your data connection, it doesnot control any apps. Task killers actively KILL tasks and attempt to manage memory better than Android does, this doesn't do that.

I work daily in a lead lined room, by your definition, the room that I'm in is a task killer....

Your last quote:

last time I checked Juice Defender didn't in any shape or form attempt to kill or manage tasks on any level whatsoever.

And now you say:

"it manages your data connection"

Which is it?

I would consider your "lead-lined room" (I don't care if it's a kryptonite lined room) as a battery killer if you don't have something that manages how often your phone connects to data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty