Evo Noob Questions

carguyjohn350

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have a wondows phone now and am making the jump to Android via the Evo 4G.

I have joined the forum and done some searching and reading but would still appreciate som eadditional clarity.

Here are my questions. I definitely appreciate all help.

1. I want to wifi tether but dont want to pay sprint $30 per month x2 for my wife and I, therefore I need to root? (pretty sure this is a yes)

2. The root instructions are here - Evo 4G root instructions are here! | Android Central
but I dont totally understand them. How do you get the PC36IMG.zip file onto the card? Someone told me that my windows computer wont read a micro sd card formatted to work with android. true or not?

As an aside, I also read the thread on XDA developers ([TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers found it more confusing. It talks about opeining things in a shell, no idea what that means.

3. Step 4 of the instructions for rooting involves a entering a command (adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip) into the prompt. I dont know how to get to the prompt and why wouldnt I just remove the micro sd card and delete it using the computer? (assumes the computer can read the card see #2 above)

4. Do you have to load a custom ROM to use wifi tether? Not sure what a custom ROM is but I read about it in a thread here and someone said you have to use one in order to load apps.

5. If I go through all this, will Sprint be able to see that I am using the wifi tether and just charge me the $30 anyway and it will all be for naught?

Thanks again for reading this. I may have more questions as I learn. I am really trying to get up to speed on all this, its just all new.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have a wondows phone now and am making the jump to Android via the Evo 4G.

I have joined the forum and done some searching and reading but would still appreciate som eadditional clarity.

Here are my questions. I definitely appreciate all help.

1. I want to wifi tether but dont want to pay sprint $30 per month x2 for my wife and I, therefore I need to root? (pretty sure this is a yes)

2. The root instructions are here - Evo 4G root instructions are here! | Android Central
but I dont totally understand them. How do you get the PC36IMG.zip file onto the card? Someone told me that my windows computer wont read a micro sd card formatted to work with android. true or not?

As an aside, I also read the thread on XDA developers ([TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers found it more confusing. It talks about opeining things in a shell, no idea what that means.

3. Step 4 of the instructions for rooting involves a entering a command (adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip) into the prompt. I dont know how to get to the prompt and why wouldnt I just remove the micro sd card and delete it using the computer? (assumes the computer can read the card see #2 above)

4. Do you have to load a custom ROM to use wifi tether? Not sure what a custom ROM is but I read about it in a thread here and someone said you have to use one in order to load apps.

5. If I go through all this, will Sprint be able to see that I am using the wifi tether and just charge me the $30 anyway and it will all be for naught?

Thanks again for reading this. I may have more questions as I learn. I am really trying to get up to speed on all this, its just all new.
You might want to consider the Nexus S 4G - it is Vanilla Android (no overlay to root) so the wifi tether is on the "honor system"... Android is meant to provide tethering at it's root nature - so the overlays from Samsung/HTC/Moto/Etc are the only thing standing between a free wifi tether. So you could look at the phone with no overlay and just use it the way it was designed to be used (and not pay the $30 bucks a month per phone).

You do have another option... you can get an EVO and use Easy Tether. It is not wireless tethering - but it will work with the USB cord that comes with the phone. This does not require a root, just an app. Good luck!

Reactions: carguyjohn350

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The above... plus you should know that there is no root solution as of yet for evo's running 2.3.3(Gingerbread)... but I'm starting to get the feeling it right around the corner.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

Reactions: carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You might want to consider the Nexus S 4G - it is Vanilla Android (no overlay to root) so the wifi tether is on the "honor system"... Android is meant to provide tethering at it's root nature - so the overlays from Samsung/HTC/Moto/Etc are the only thing standing between a free wifi tether. So you could look at the phone with no overlay and just use it the way it was designed to be used (and not pay the $30 bucks a month per phone).

You do have another option... you can get an EVO and use Easy Tether. It is not wireless tethering - but it will work with the USB cord that comes with the phone. This does not require a root, just an app. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. i will look at the Nexus S 4G. I get the EVO free through my company and the Nexus is $25 so its not much more. If I wifi tether with it (or the EVO through Easytether) do you know if Sprint can tell?

This is Easytether? https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mstream.et

carguyjohn350

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The above... plus you should know that there is no root solution as of yet for evo's running 2.3.3(Gingerbread)... but I'm starting to get the feeling it right around the corner.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

Thanks for the repy. I know the Sprint site says the Evo ships with 2.3 but I thought I read somewhere (and I thought it was on here) that thats a mistake and they still come with 2.2. Maybe I am mistaken?

playya

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the repy. I know the Sprint site says the Evo ships with 2.3 but I thought I read somewhere (and I thought it was on here) that thats a mistake and they still come with 2.2. Maybe I am mistaken?

No you will be getting the new software. My suggestion is pdanet for tethering.... check out the site and read up on it since they do exactly what you want.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Pdanet or easy tether will work great if you dont mmind it being USB tether and no sprint does not know what is happening, the app just uses your 3g/4g data and transfer it to your device. Your phone actually acts as a modem. I believe pdanet or easy tether, one of the ttwo, sets up your phone as a dial up modem if you llook under your networking on your PC.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
When I received my replacement EVO (brand new from best buy) it did not ship with 2.3, shipped with 2.2. I had to update it to 2.3 myself

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
When I received my replacement EVO (brand new from best buy) it did not ship with 2.3, shipped with 2.2. I had to update it to 2.3 myself

Chances are, its something they had sitting in stock before the phones with the unrevoked build going out.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

carguyjohn350

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Got an evo for myself and one for the wife this week. It does have GB. I dowloaded easy tether which works great. Its funny that this phone has a 1Ghz peocessor and 512 mb of RAM. I graduated from college in 2005 and the computer I used all the way through had an 800 mhz processor and 512 mb of RAM.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member