Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and ADB

brandokc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I posted this up over at XDA. I'm putting it up here by request.
I hope it helps!

It looks like we may have some users that are new to rooting or to Android all together.
I posted these instructions in the perm root thread, but I figured putting them in their own thread would make it easier to find.
This is meant as a basic pre-cursor to following BCNice's perm root instructions.

I've added a link to TrueBlue_Drew's adb/fastboot guide here
If you use the method that I outline below just download his zip and extract the files to your desktop. Then move the fastboot file into your AndroidSDK\platform-tools sub directory. Thanks to Drew for putting together a great guide!
You will need fastboot installed to install BCNice20's recovery.img.

Make sure you have HTC Sync installed on your computer HTCSync

First download the SDK here
Make sure to dowload the installer_r09-windows.exe
Now install the SDK when prompted for the install path paste C:\AndroidSDK over the default path

Once you have installed it open it from the start menu
Select install packages
The main one we are concerned with is "Platform Tools"

Go to the start menu and right click on My Computer in XP Computer in Windows 7.
Select properties, then select advanced/advanced system settings in Windows 7, then environment variables, now go to the lower box (system variables) and select path then edit.
Paste the following as your path C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools then select o.k.

Make sure you have temp root via Visionary or Z4.
On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, and make sure USB Debugging is checked.

Now connect your phone to your computer and leave the connection type as "charge only"

On your computer select Start, then run, type in CMD
Once in the Command Prompt enter
Code:
cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
The next line should pop up C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>
Now test adb by typing in
Code:
adb

If adb runs you are ready to start!
Type
Code:
adb shell
Then type
Code:
SU
Allow Superuser on your phone
You are now in and ready to follow BCNice's directions

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Its all great information to have and brandokc guide is exactly what our EVO Shift users needs to get things ready to go for rooting hopefully someone (me) will have a decent how to root guide up at some point and this thread will be the go to before you root thread.

brandokc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Its all great information to have and brandokc guide is exactly what our EVO Shift users needs to get things ready to go for rooting hopefully someone (me) will have a decent how to root guide up at some point and this thread will be the go to before you root thread.

I added a new thread with more detailed root instructions.
I don't know when I'll be able to get to fastboot and the recovery so anyone who wants can have at it!

SilentReform

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Issues with visionary

I thought i was doing ok with the basic root. I got all the programs needed, got visionary on my shift, and when i went to temp root using it I'm now stuck in an endless reboot cycle. It usually fails before it gets out of the Sprint boot screen, but sometimes gets to android then just reboots. suggestions?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought i was doing ok with the basic root. I got all the programs needed, got visionary on my shift, and when i went to temp root using it I'm now stuck in an endless reboot cycle. It usually fails before it gets out of the Sprint boot screen, but sometimes gets to android then just reboots. suggestions?

Pull the battery and Start over. Getting temp root can be a hassle sometimes but the key is to keep trying. Eventually you'll get it to catch temp root, then you can move on to rooting process.

toddtherod

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I posted this up over at XDA. I'm putting it up here by request.
I hope it helps!

It looks like we may have some users that are new to rooting or to Android all together.
I posted these instructions in the perm root thread, but I figured putting them in their own thread would make it easier to find.
This is meant as a basic pre-cursor to following BCNice's perm root instructions.

I've added a link to TrueBlue_Drew's adb/fastboot guide here
If you use the method that I outline below just download his zip and extract the files to your desktop. Then move the fastboot file into your AndroidSDK\platform-tools sub directory. Thanks to Drew for putting together a great guide!
You will need fastboot installed to install BCNice20's recovery.img.

Make sure you have HTC Sync installed on your computer HTCSync

First download the SDK here
Make sure to dowload the installer_r09-windows.exe
Now install the SDK when prompted for the install path paste C:\AndroidSDK over the default path

Once you have installed it open it from the start menu
Select install packages
The main one we are concerned with is "Platform Tools"

Go to the start menu and right click on My Computer in XP Computer in Windows 7.
Select properties, then select advanced/advanced system settings in Windows 7, then environment variables, now go to the lower box (system variables) and select path then edit.
Paste the following as your path C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools then select o.k.

Make sure you have temp root via Visionary or Z4.
On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, and make sure USB Debugging is checked.

Now connect your phone to your computer and leave the connection type as "charge only"

On your computer select Start, then run, type in CMD
Once in the Command Prompt enter
Code:
cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
The next line should pop up C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>
Now test adb by typing in
Code:
adb

If adb runs you are ready to start!
Type
Code:
adb shell
Then type
Code:
SU
Allow Superuser on your phone
You are now in and ready to follow BCNice's directions
Being a "noob" at all this hacking/rooting stuff, this process took me a few tries but I finally got it. Now to the good stuff!!! Thanks for the help

Switch72nd

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I changed the path in environmental variables I can no longer use other commands in my command prompt such as ping or netstat. Do I need to change the path back to what it was before to use my command prompt again?