Newbie in da house

GdsSrv

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
im new to this flashing and rooting thing could someone give me a hint on how to mget started i have several new android fhones in my posession i also have cdma workshop and qpst along with a lot of other flashing tools and software can u help a brother out.......

beeker64

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I flashed my Shift about a week ago and everything works great. Here are the guides I used. Read/watch everything first and in order. This should take about 2hrs, but you'll understand what is going on by the end. If you have a Shift I would try out the Mikshift Rom with x99 Kernel- both are well made and run perfect on my machine (Links to the XDA threads about them at the very bottom.) The Shift also has the benefit of not being a one stop root procedure, so you'll probably come away with a good understanding of the process for any Android. I am not responsible for any damage etc to you phones, social life, existential outlook, nor personal grooming.
1st-A general knowledge thread
Beginners Guide To Roms + Backup Discussion

2nd- Two easy Evo Shift Root Thread (Cross reference them) and a video
Rooting A Shift For Dummies

Big D's Awesome Guide to Rooting and Backing Up a Shift

Perm Rooting Shift Video

3rd
Flashing Roms & Kernels
Flashing a Custom Rom with Backup

JJB61's Uber-Safe Directions From an XDA Thread
Here is a little insight from someone who tests just about every ROM put out. Here were the steps I took and after taking these steps EVERYTHING that was posted worked 100%.

1) Backed up my text messages and all the apps I wanted to save. Used SMS Backup and Titanium Backup.

2) Rebooted into recovery and wiped everything; Dalvik Cache and Full Data

3) I installed the ROM only then booted the phone to ensure it was working

4) Rebooted into recovery

5) Installed all tweaks, mods and the green theme then rebooted the phone to ensure everything was working.

6) Installed Titanium Backup

7) Removed everything I didn't want and restored all of my apps with Titanium Backup

8) Rebooted phone into recovery and made Noid

9) Install the BC-2.6.32.21-Build4 OC Kernel. This is only a 1.5 Kernel but worked perfectly.

10) Booted phone to ensure it was functional

11) Rebooted into recovery and made another Noid.

12) Booted the phone and deleted my first backup and kept the most current.

EVERYTHING works, the phone is flying, aamikam awesome job on this. There are no problems what so ever with this ROM. If people are having problems it is probably because you are trying to cut corners. Wipe Cache and Data, its not that hard if you simply backup stuff. SMSBackup backs up and restore texts, Google stores your Contacts, Titanium Backup backs up and restores your apps.

What I have installed and is working:

4 and 1 Reboot Menu
BattPercent
Green-Theme
Remove-GPS-and-ADB Icons
Remove HTC Useless
Remove Sprint Bloatware
Stock_Animations
Stock-Rosie-5-Row
USB-Thether and Hotspot hack
1.5 GHz OC

Everything I installed worked, take the time to install ROM correctly. It took me all of 30 minutes to install everything in the order I did it in. Yeah I made an extra of backup but I do that so if anything breaks I can go back to where it was good. Yeah I wiped the data and cache, but at least there was nothing there to break the installation of the ROM.

Also remember, you can always start over from scratch. If something doesn't look right start from 1 again. The short amount of time it takes to do these steps are well worth it when the ROM then works PERFECTLY.

Decent video for the Evo (not Shift, but the steps are the same)

Good Luck,
Beeker

PS

MikShift Rom -XDA Thread
x99 Kernal-XDA thread

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez