webOS is dead: Bring "Cards" to Android!

cooknn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Now that HP has bowed out of mobile, I'm guessing it would be okay for Matias Duarte and the gang at Google to implement some of webOS' best features into Android? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, I'd love to see some form of "cards" as the default task manager. Would kill the way iOS does multitasking. Anything beats the way Android does it now, IMHO. Unless of course, you're in to backing out of every application and hoping it quits :confused:

jakelaw#AC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Cards and gestures are the things I miss the most from WebOS!! The only reason "the market" doesn't want cards is because they haven't experienced it yet. It is soooo much more intuitive than the way Android does it. Backing out and hoping is not fun nor is it easy. Swipng from card to card and just swiping them off the screen to close is hands down the best. BRING ON THE CARDS!!!! Or something close to it anyway......

cooknn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
the market doesn't want cards.
I assume you're basing your opinion on the failure of webOS? The market wants app's. I believe the vast majority don't even think or care about multitasking. Those that do, would appreciate a more intuitive implementation on Android, I'm sure.

chrismikehead

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I assume you're basing your opinion on the failure of webOS? The market wants app's. I believe the vast majority don't even think or care about multitasking. Those that do, would appreciate a more intuitive implementation on Android, I'm sure.

I left my Pre for the EVO Shift for one reason - lack of apps. I guess my power button breaking on me didn't help, either, but that was just a really good excuse to justify the move. I really liked the user interface, easy to use and visually appealing. I would not complain if it managed to make its way to Android.

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I left my Pre for the EVO Shift for one reason - lack of apps. I guess my power button breaking on me didn't help, either, but that was just a really good excuse to justify the move. I really liked the user interface, easy to use and visually appealing. I would not complain if it managed to make its way to Android.

+1

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Jon no h

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Cards would rock. In many ways, webOS was a better OS than others. Despite poor management, webOS did get some stuff right. Now bring the good stuff! Or at least copy it!

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I loved WebOS. Just love android more lol with that said, I would love for cards to come to come to android! Why not? RIM did it with QNX, and im sure android could do it better!

cooknn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I loved WebOS. Just love android more lol with that said, I would love for cards to come to android! Why not? RIM did it with QNX, and im sure android could do it better!
Microsoft brings "cards" to Windows Phone with Mango as well. If it wasn't so tied to the XBox I might consider a Windows Phone. I wonder how the other 5M+ PS3 owners feel about that...

BTW - I guess this was the wrong forum to post this thread, but I feel at home here :D

Soli2de

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a Palm Pre now for the past... 2 years? Maybe longer, I dont know it's been a while, and anyways one reason I decided to go with that phone is because 1.. it was offered by Sprint, and 2, I LOVED the multi-tasking of the cards!

It made it so easy to switch between apps and do multiple things at once. (tho after having too many cards over, it will bog down) I once again destroy'd my 2nd pre just last week thursday by accidently drop'n it in the toilet... and my buddy sent me his Evo Shift 4G he no longer can use after switching networks.

I have yet to recieve it... UPS is taking their merry 'ol time... but I would be stolked if such a feature would be possible on the Android OS.

I agree that one of the reasons I disliked the Pre was the lack of developers creating useful and cool apps like they have for the iPhone and i'm assuming the Droid (havn't tried to stay up to date with phone technology as I try and not have tech guilt for not having the latest and greatest)

I did like the customizability it had after installing Preware and using the various tweaks and patches they offered to make the phone better... and i'm more than eager to get my hands on my new phone as i'm excited to learn the droid OS.

we'll see how my transition goes. :)

Shame about WebOS being killed off as it had it's positives... it's just in a heavily saturated tech world we live in, it's hard to get "new" ideas and technologies to catch on and become as mainstream especially after having such competitors as Apple and Google.

***UPDATE***
Got my Evo Shift yesterday and have been playing around with it quite a bit all day. I really like this phone. It took me a while to get used to it, but once I figured my way around the interface it's not all that bad. Sure it might not have the simplicity of the cards, and being able to swipe off to close or back and forth to quickly move between apps, but at least they have a way TO do that. I've also had much better luck with the GPS Navigation system unlike my Pre which seemed to have a mind of it's own when it wanted to work. (i only did the "navigation" one which appeared to be a beta google app,)

All in all i'm quite happy with the transition, altho even tho the HTC Sense interface is quite nice and useful. the easy of use of cards would still be welcome in my book. Until then i'm going to make the best and enjoy this phone to the fullest. :)

Last edited:

BigGP

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Deal me in on missing cards! I just switched from my Sprint FrankenPrePlus running 2.1 to a Evo Shift. My Pre was starting to fail on a number of hardware issues and had to bail. The abundance of apps is amazing. The phone works smooth, I MISS MY CARDS!! It was nice to launch a program, realize I needed my password manager, and just swipe to it, leaving the first app open at the login screen to switch back to. Can't do it anymore.

After using Android a few days, I would almost call webOS's cards the ultimate widget. Seeing the 7 different home pages that HTC Sense provides and the way you can swipe between them feels like card swapping from webOS. Having different widgets open on each one lets you quickly switch between actions, like you can having several apps open in webOS. Bit Widgets aren't full apps, and you can't even have a full app in the background and do something on a widget real quick.

Something I could see working as a merger would being able to "minimize" an app into a 2x3 widget on a page, keeping the app state active in background. 7 pages, up to 2 minimized apps per page, makes for more than enough multitasking for anyone.

anon(4743061)

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I wish they would do some sort of a offspring of the two, Hold home to bring up the cards view. Maybe it would be a toggle. Keep the card view up when you want them and hide them running in the back ground to clean things up a bit.

situveux1#AC

May 1, 2011
Visit site
+1 on bringing cards to Android. I finally finished my contract with Sprint and my Pre minus and went with a local carrier and the HTC Merge. I have to say, there's not even a comparison when it comes to apps and hardware. I went with the Pre because it was on Sprint and because it had Classic for my medical apps, but what I ended up loving the most was cards. It's just one of those features you don't even think about until you don't have it anymore. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to keep me with the OS... it is, after all just one feature of many that a consumer will look at. But had the apps and hardware come even close to competing, I may have been posting on precentral still instead of here.

tayl0124

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Shame about WebOS being killed off as it had it's positives... it's just in a heavily saturated tech world we live in, it's hard to get "new" ideas and technologies to catch on and become as mainstream especially after having such competitors as Apple and Google.

Kind of like the Sega Dreamcast. Way ahead of it's time, we weren't ready for that yet.

I think that WebOs s by far the best Os out there, unfortunately it didn't get the hardware support it deserved. I was due for an upgrade just as Hp aquired it and made their announcement about new hardware. New hardware??? The Palm Pre 2??? I was hoping for something the size of an iphone, or the Evo which I eventually got. My biggest issue with the pre was the small screen. At the time I was watching a lot of you tube videos where I needed to see details. The pre's screen was just too small for what I needed.

tayl0124

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Do webos use more battery power by having real multitasking? Is that why android and ios is not doing that?

I am not sure, web os phones has small screens, so it might be the reason behind my though, but I think that my pre's battery lasted way longer than my evo battery does.