should I upgrade to EVO from Hero? Any reason not to?

Alvin

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Dear all,

I have a sprint HTC Hero that I successfully rooted, and installed Beezy's Iced Beta custom rom. It works great .. thanks so much to Beezy for his help and general encouragement.

I am eligible for a Sprint upgrade in about six weeks. Kinda funny that if I sell the Hero on ebay I nearly break even on the cost of the new EVO ... but here is my Question: what to expect when I upgrade (and indeed should I upgrade?) I've been so impressed with the quality and helpfulness of the active group here on the Hero forum... is the EVO forum comparable? Or is the EVO so good that there's not the need for custom ROMS. (also, how about rooting on the EVO? )

Thanks in advance

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the evo should be pretty easy also. I don't think I would upgrade just yet, however. I would imagine that by Christmas there will be a newer high end phone out on Sprint. The Hero has been out on Sprint for 13 Months, and is already out dated. The Evo came out 4 months ago, so if you upgrade now it would follow that the Evo will be outdated in less time than your Hero was. Sprint just released two low cost Android phones, and while I haven't heard what is next for Sprint I would guess that they will want a new power phone for holiday sales.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I would say go for the EVO. You will be a lot happier with the EVO than the Hero. There is nothing coning out soon from Sprint that's going to blow the EVO out if the water.

devel79

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it really depends on if you want to spend the extra $120 a year for the premium data service charge ($10/month) and if you like the bigger phone.
For me, I went with the new Optimus S, after having a rooted Hero. While it's not as good as the Evo, there were several things that (for me) made it a better buy.
The size of the Evo was a turn-off as well as the 4g charge (4g isn't in my area).
The Optimus S is cheaper, smaller, no 4g (no $10/mo charge).
Coming from a Hero, the Optimus S has much better battery life and is definitely snappier. I miss the trackball and led of the Hero. The Hero also has a better camera (but this isn't a dealbreaker for me).
I'm not trying to dog the Evo, as I love HTC phones. The Evo is definitely one of the best phones out. It just isn't the phone for me. You experience may vary.
Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez