The HTC One A9 is actually $499 after Nov 7th. Thoughts?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I want to see HTC succeed with a new phone, but I don't see the A9 being that phone. It is average at best among the current offerings, and the price is too high in my opinion. I don't see anything new or evolutionary with this new phone. Sorry, HTC.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
There are other reviews out that contradict this one saying that battery life is above average. I'm sure it all depends on how you set up the phone and use it so I"m going to wait and see for myself as I have one on order.

Regarding the 5x comments above, I've read several reviews and every single one say battery life is disappointing. At least with the A9 the reviews on battery life are split about 50-50.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list of those on the fence when it comes to canceling the pre-order. Kind of disappointed by what the reviews are saying about battery life. Not that its terribly surprising given the low capacity the battery has, but I still had hopes in so far as optimization.

It's not super-terrible, but still subpar for a 2015 phone, especially a midranger.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I want to see HTC succeed with a new phone, but I don't see the A9 being that phone. It is average at best among the current offerings, and the price is too high in my opinion. I don't see anything new or evolutionary with this new phone. Sorry, HTC.

When the A9 came out everybody tried to force themselves to love it despite the design controversy and the humongous bezels (which don't look that bad with the black front) and not to mention, the absence of boomsound. This seemed very much unlike HTC and what they had been doing in the past. Still, we wanted to love it! Because it's HTC! Everybody loves HTC. HTC was the one who upped the Android built game. And with the $399 tag it seemed reasonable for an HTC fan to buy this phone just for the love! And I almost started to believe it was going to be a hit!

However, they completely screwed themselves over by increasing the price. It doesn't matter what competition it has at 499. This phone in its own isn't worth that. And not just that, it would only confuse the users in general and spread inequality amongst them with some people getting the phone for $100 less.

You will see people who bought it for $399 saying it's worth it and the people who buy for 499 having weird confusing thoughts. 499 person won't ever get fully satisfied with his experience, believe me! Because somebody else is having the same experience with $100 less.

After 7th, I think sales will completely die.

Why HTC why?

Posted via the Android Central App

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
What does the 32 GB non expandable Nexus 5x at $429 have over the HTC One A9 at $499/$399 introductory?

Plastic build
Slower processor
Less RAM
No expandable storage
Worse screen
No OIS No RAW
Terrible sound quality
No rapid charge
Uncommon charging port
No FREE 1 year next day replacement warranty.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Certainly a deal breaker, especially with the small battery and poor battery life as reviewed.

So, it seems like $399 was only a promotional price. $499 is the actual price of the phone.

Here are my thoughts.

HTC is a company in tough times. They desperately need to turn things around or close its doors. Unfortunately, they seem to have not thought things through.

The HTC One A9 is actually a capable phone. Packing somewhat decent hardware wrapped up in a polarizing but very premium design and great software. However, it's initial price of $399 was a bit tough as it was up in competition against some other phones, many of which pack punchier hardware on paper, like the Moto X Pure Edition, ASUS Zenfone 2 Deluxe, Nextbit Robin, Nexus 5X and even the OnePlus Two.

The $499 MSRP is actually a huge mistake, as that puts it in the territory of the Samsung Galaxy S6, LG G4, Nexus 6P and other flagships launched earlier this year.

IMHO, the phone should have been $299 or somewhere around that mark. It's hard for HTC to make premium phones at affordable prices, but a phone that has weaker specs on paper compared to another phone at the same price just isn't gonna sell. I'm sorry, but that's the harsh reality. The non-techie consumers don't know what software optimization is. They just look at the spec sheet and buy the phone that has the strongest hardware and one with more features than the other.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
What does the 32 GB non expandable Nexus 5x at $429 have over the HTC One A9 at $499/$399 introductory?

Plastic build
Slower processor
Less RAM
No expandable storage
Worse screen
No OIS No RAW
Terrible sound quality
No rapid charge
Uncommon charging port

Keep in mind that once you add Nexus care to have equivalent coverage to Uh Oh the price is about the same. Except that the A9 has 3 gigs of ram whereas the 5X has 2 gigs.

jmkhenka

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

Plastic build
Slower processor
Less RAM
No expandable storage
Worse screen
No OIS No RAW
Terrible sound quality
No rapid charge
Uncommon charging port

In europe (sweden) the difference is way bigger, in favor of the Nexus.
A9 price (2/16gb there is no 3/32 in eu): 5990 SEK
Nexus 5x (32gb) price: 4890 SEK.
SGS 6 Edge (32gb): 5990 SEK
S6 (32gb): 4700 SEK

So, no-one is going to get the A9 unless they are HTC fans or want the formfactor in particular.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Plastic build
Slower processor
Less RAM
No expandable storage
Worse screen
No OIS No RAW
Terrible sound quality
No rapid charge
Uncommon charging port

Actually Nexus 5X processor is faster. And USB type-C charging is rapid.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the A9 will save HTC. There's just too many good phones at that price point now.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the A9 will save HTC. There's just too many good phones at that price point now.

No, it's just the beginning of their come back campaign. Have you seen the rumored X9? Looks like the A9 is just a first in a series of come back phones.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

www dot pocket now dot com/2015/11/09/htc-one-x9-leaks-three

There are more articles on other Android news sites.

Edit: Today's rumor sites are saying yesterday's rumors about this phone being a high end one were misplaced and they now say it will be another mid range phone with a 5.5" screen and not the 5" screen previously rumored.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Edit: Today's rumor sites are saying yesterday's rumors about this phone being a high end one were misplaced and they now say it will be another mid range phone with a 5.5" screen and not the 5" screen previously rumored.

So not a savior.. :)

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So not a savior.. :)

The thing about rumors is that you have to ignore them until close to the phone's release, then they tend to start getting more accurate. The first rumors of the A9 had it being a high end phone with a Snapdragon 820, which wasn't going to be released by the time the phone was. But that rumor persisted for awhile.