HTC has made the A9 very confusing

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
HTC's called it a hero phone as well as a flagship phone, IIRC. That sets expectations high. They've given it a premium metal body, but a mid price processor. They've then made it look almost as if it were an iPhone, again, setting high expectations. They have a reasonable price, IMO, for the states but that price is only good until Nov. 7. Then it jumps to near flagship price in the US as it already is in the rest of the world.

I've read/watched first impressions by nearly every Android site. They all seem to be in love with the phone. One guy even said he loved it so much it was going to be his daily driver.

Once the reviews started to come out they still overall love the phone, but give it moderately good scores. Biggest complaint is the battery followed by complaints of the camera, while the best HTC has put out is not up to snuff with flagship phones. The reviews are waffling back and forth comparing it to other midrange phones but also flagships. They all seem to run the battery tests they would run on flagships, even though in my mind, it isn't really geared to a buyer that would go after a flaghip. Then they say due to price you'd be better getting the Nexus 6P or other phablet. They also say to get the 5X since it is only $379. But that's wrong since, in US, this is a 32 GB phone which would be $429 but still only 2 GB of ram and no OIS for the 5X.

I'm coming from a Nexus 5. I hate phablets. There is no way I want a phone that hard to handle. A 5" screen is optimal to me. The battery on the N5 is only 2300. Not much of a difference to the 2150. I don't play games or watch movies on it. So battery doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Compared to the N5 the A9's camera sounds outstanding but the reviewers only thought it was adequate. A9 has OIS which, IMO, his huge.

I've been leaning to the 5X, but I'm really not impressed with the looks. Expecially not the camera bump on the back. The overall look just doesn't do it for me. At the $399 price, the A9 seems pretty sweet considering what I'm changing from. Nice build and looks, marshmallow with responsive UI and a much imporoved camera.

I don't have any issue with reviewers saying don't buy this expecting a flagship but it's a worthy phone if you're coming from an N5 or older/cheaper midrange. I know that's hard to say though because of the flagship like price. I feel HTC has really shot themselves in the foot with the mixed messages they've sent.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
HTC's called it a hero phone as well as a flagship phone, IIRC. That sets expectations high. They've given it a premium metal body, but a mid price processor. They've then made it look almost as if it were an iPhone, again, setting high expectations. They have a reasonable price, IMO, for the states but that price is only good until Nov. 7. Then it jumps to near flagship price in the US as it already is in the rest of the world.

I've read/watched first impressions by nearly every Android site. They all seem to be in love with the phone. One guy even said he loved it so much it was going to be his daily driver.

Once the reviews started to come out they still overall love the phone, but give it moderately good scores. Biggest complaint is the battery followed by complaints of the camera, while the best HTC has put out is not up to snuff with flagship phones. The reviews are waffling back and forth comparing it to other midrange phones but also flagships. They all seem to run the battery tests they would run on flagships, even though in my mind, it isn't really geared to a buyer that would go after a flaghip. Then they say due to price you'd be better getting the Nexus 6P or other phablet. They also say to get the 5X since it is only $379. But that's wrong since, in US, this is a 32 GB phone which would be $429 but still only 2 GB of ram and no OIS for the 5X.

I'm coming from a Nexus 5. I hate phablets. There is no way I want a phone that hard to handle. A 5" screen is optimal to me. The battery on the N5 is only 2300. Not much of a difference to the 2150. I don't play games or watch movies on it. So battery doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Compared to the N5 the A9's camera sounds outstanding but the reviewers only thought it was adequate. A9 has OIS which, IMO, his huge.

I've been leaning to the 5X, but I'm really not impressed with the looks. Expecially not the camera bump on the back. The overall look just doesn't do it for me. At the $399 price, the A9 seems pretty sweet considering what I'm changing from. Nice build and looks, marshmallow with responsive UI and a much imporoved camera.

I don't have any issue with reviewers saying don't buy this expecting a flagship but it's a worthy phone if you're coming from an N5 or older/cheaper midrange. I know that's hard to say though because of the flagship like price. I feel HTC has really shot themselves in the foot with the mixed messages they've sent.

Get it before the 7th and I think you'll love it.

The battery life and the camera are very important. But these two issues took a back seat when Android authority mentioned the lagging software and slow performance because of the newer processor.

You can always improve battery life by tweaking some settings. And the camera is the best camera HTC has ever produced. Soooooo they say... but this lagging issue is what's keeping me from loving the phone.

You're right. It IS very confusing now. I'd say give it a shot. Buy it before the 7th. You have a 15 days window, or was it 30? I don't remember. You can always return it if you don't like it.

But I think coming from the nexus 5, you'll love it!

I went to the HTC one m8 after the nexus 5. It was a major major upgrade. Just for the build.

Posted via the Android Central App

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have ordered one and think it will fit my needs nicely. It does have an ability to return within 30 days, so I'm not too concerned that I'll get stuck with a phone that sucks. I absolutely love the deep garnet color.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try one too during the 30 day trial and set it up the way I use it and see how the battery is. There just isn't anything else out there that appeals to me. I like the LG V10, but it's huge as are so many of the so called flagships, I got excited over the initial reports of the OnePlus X until I checked the bands and discovered it doesn't support Band 12 and 17, which is where most of the LTE is on in my state,

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
We're currently on sprint, I hate the fact that there isn't one model for all 4 of the carriers. We're also out of contract, and we've been weighing our options for switching.

Does the uh oh protection on this phone also cover of if you switch providers like the m9 did? I haven't looked to be honest. If so, I may go buy one for my partner now as he's got the m7 , wants an HTC, but doesn't want a BIG phone.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
We're currently on sprint, I hate the fact that there isn't one model for all 4 of the carriers. We're also out of contract, and we've been weighing our options for switching.

Does the uh oh protection on this phone also cover of if you switch providers like the m9 did? I haven't looked to be honest. If so, I may go buy one for my partner now as he's got the m7 , wants an HTC, but doesn't want a BIG phone.

If you're off contract, you can find a MVNO that has the provider you wish. Personally, I was on sprint and went to TING. They offer both CDMA and GSM. While my wife will continue to use CDMA, I'll get the sim for GSM on my unlocked A9.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks like it does cover a one time swap out if we decide to switch carriers. We're still on an unlimited data plan, and while he only uses 2 gigs a month now, hopefully he'll be able to use more when he gets band 41 support and carrier aggregation.

We aren't even sure if it'll come with a sim card for sprint, since this particular one is only good on sprint.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you're off contract, you can find a MVNO that has the provider you wish. Personally, I was on sprint and went to TING. They offer both CDMA and GSM. While my wife will continue to use CDMA, I'll get the sim for GSM on my unlocked A9.

I just switched from Sprint to Ting 2 weeks ago. So far I love it. My bill with Sprint was $92 including fees and taxes. With Ting my bill for the same usage drops to $23 plus tax. I am using my M7 which still looks and performs like brand new. I am not a heavy user so Ting works for me. I love the fact that I am saving about $60 per month.

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Theoretically, if I buy the unlocked version now (while the price is lower), can I use it on Verizon once they update it in december?

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Theoretically, if I buy the unlocked version now (while the price is lower), can I use it on Verizon once they update it in december?

You should be able to use it on Verizon's LTE network, but not CDMA, once they roll out the software update for VW.

toiday

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the 5X then after hearing the A9, I ordered it as well. I had the 5X first and used it for over a week before the A9 arrived. After a couple of days with the A9, I decided to return the 5X and keep the A9. Both phones have finger print scanner, which I found very useful. I use it with LastPass and no longer need to type userid/passwd for every app. The 5X have the scanner which is somewhat inconvenience because you can't unlock the phone without picking it up. The A9 have the scanner in the front is better but it takes up space in the front. Both phones only have 32GB storage which is barely enough for me. My app apps alone take up over 20GB, very little space left for my music and videos. This is where the A9 has the advantage, MicroSD slot. The A9 now re-format and mount your MicroSD card seamlessly with your phone's storage. It can encrypted your card too. The A9 speaker is loud but nowhere near the BoomSound quality on the M7, M8, or M9. But still a bit better than the 5X although the 5X have the speaker facing front where the A9 speaker facing bottom. The A9 camera is better than the 5X, especially when taking pictures while moving, and you can take pictures in raw mode. Battery is nowhere near the Xperia Z3 or OnePlus One. But it's about the same of others. However, charging for the smaller battery is much quicker (from 15% to 95% in less than an hour). I was skeptical about the AMOLED screen in the A9 because of the blueish on the older Galaxy phones I had before. But there is no blueish here, white is truly white and black is totally dark, not leaking background light.