Google Edition camera app w/ Photosphere - easy install, no root needed

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Seems to work ok on my stock AT&T HTC One. However, I am missing HDR mode from both back and front facing cameras. I also only have the new Gallery app shown in the app drawer, though both Camera (HTC stock and Google version) show up in the app drawer.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I missed this in one of the posts, but I've noticed that a number of unrooted Nexus 4 owners have attempted to download Photosphere to their phones. I thought Photosphere was already pre-installed in the N4's?

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
If you downloaded the file linked in the first post of this thread, there is no zip file. It is a direct download of the apk file.

To update my previous post - I do have two gallery apps in my app drawer, but not two camera apps ... which makes sense, because the stock HTC camera app is in my dock so it doesn't show up in the app drawer, because that's how Sense 5 handles apps that are in the dock. Still missing HDR mode, but photosphere, panorama and everything else works fine.

SAVJR

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Works on my Verizon Note II (rooted, unlocked, Scotts CleanRom), however it does not overwrite the original gallery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
If you downloaded the file linked in the first post of this thread, there is no zip file. It is a direct download of the apk file.

To update my previous post - I do have two gallery apps in my app drawer, but not two camera apps ... which makes sense, because the stock HTC camera app is in my dock so it doesn't show up in the app drawer, because that's how Sense 5 handles apps that are in the dock. Still missing HDR mode, but photosphere, panorama and everything else works fine.

Yes I downloaded the file linked in the first post, just a bit ago and it is a zip file, not a direct download of the apk...just a fyi for everybody

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's the camera (and gallery) app from the Google Edition phones, which lets you record and view Photosphere images. The file has been pulled directly from Jerry's GS4 GE system dump, no tampering at all.

So far I've been able to install it normally on the GS4 and HTC One (Euro, skinned versions), the Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia SP. I'm charging an old ICS device as I write this to test on that too. Should definitely work on 4.1 and up, though.

Enjoy!

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...es/articleimage/684/2012/11/GalleryGoogle.apk

Update: Direct link, since the file uploader is having issues. Seems to work on the LG Optimus Vu, which runs ICS 4.0.3.

Update 2: New URL that's just the APK, no unzipping required. If you downloaded the earlier one, just unzip it, don't try to flash it.

Anybody know where the APK is inside the zip?

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
That's strange, I downloaded it on my PC yesterday, my phone earlier today, and again on my phone just a minute ago, and all three times it was an apk file, not a zip.

I've downloaded it several times and it's always been an apk for me. Oddly, sometimes it self installs. Other times I've had to go to my Downloads to find it and run it manually.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

thetechaddict

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Has the vanilla Google camera app always had GIF support? After looking at my photos from today's festivities at the Blackhawks Parade, I've come across an animated GIF I must've created by accident. I don't even know how it was triggered.

Perhaps it's been strung together from a series of photos when it went through Google+? I wasn't paying attention to all of the new G+ photo tools during this year's I/O.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Has the vanilla Google camera app always had GIF support? After looking at my photos from today's festivities at the Blackhawks Parade, I've come across an animated GIF I must've created by accident. I don't even know how it was triggered.

Perhaps it's been strung together from a series of photos when it went through Google+? I wasn't paying attention to all of the new G+ photo tools during this year's I/O.

My guess is that your latter thought is correct. If you upload a burst of photos or even several similar photos, Google+ will animate them using its "AutoAwesome" feature (Google's name for its auto animator / auto HDR function)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dabido

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Works great with S3 running Telus official 4.1.2. The only problem is that I cannot find an option to change the save location to my SD card. Please let me know if anyone find an option to change the file location.

Thank you so much.

I second this. I'm not sure where the option is for external SD card.
Working so far on my VZW GS4.

EDIT: The video camera functionality is broken; the video is very poor quality.

Last edited:

Angelusz

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Awesome find! It did cause some strange behaviours on my phone; my stock camera and gallery completely disappeared (something appears to have been overwritten).

Taking photospheres works perfectly - a super sweet feature! However, I can't view them as such. Whenever I try to launch the photosphere viewer from the gallery, nothing happens. I do see the button light up blue, but nothing from there.

I'm using an ASUS Padfone.

Did anyone run into the same problem? Any fixes?

I can pretty much use this as my default camera app, since it works just fine (except for the occasional forced close when switching to and from camera mode). I would just like the sphere view to work!

EDIT: Solved by uninstalling and reinstalling by moving the APK to system/app folder manually.
EDIT2: ACK! Scratch that. I can now VIEW the spheres, but not make any new ones. App crashes when I try to switch to photosphere mode. Weird.
EDIT3: After 'reinstalling' the apk on top of what I already had (so without uninstalling), now all the functions seem to work! So installation might be a bit wonky, but it's possible on a niche device as well!

Last edited:

JFH8

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The camera app works on my RAZR Maxx HD, including photosphere.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1372525276057.jpg
    1372525276057.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 51

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and no dice. It installs, then ran the camera app very laggy. Now it opens to a black screen with the camera UI only.

On a hunch I opened the old camera app and it was also borked. I restarted the tablet and it went back to working very laggy. Photosphere also doesn't work. I don't know why since it has a gyroscope, but the dots to line up aren't there.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87