Zoe Backups

Andrew Vlcek

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to save a full Zoe on your computer and be able to restore them to your phone later on and still have your phone recognize it as a full Zoe? Every method I try I can only put it back on the phone as a MP4 video file and all the stills to go with it. But the phone doesn't recognize it as a Zoe anymore. So you lose access to all the cool editing tricks you can do with Zoe.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to save a full Zoe on your computer and be able to restore them to your phone later on and still have your phone recognize it as a full Zoe? Every method I try I can only put it back on the phone as a MP4 video file and all the stills to go with it. But the phone doesn't recognize it as a Zoe anymore. So you lose access to all the cool editing tricks you can do with Zoe.

I was under the impression the zoe was an mp4 file (when I navigate to one on the phone with es file explorer, it shows a an mp4), and companion jpg files were created at the same time. I am surprised you can't just export the files to a computer and reimport them and have them act the same, but there may be something else to it. I can't test it here at work, but will test at home.

There may be some additional file that needs to accompany them to link and trigger the additional features.

Andrew Vlcek

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression the zoe was an mp4 file, and companion jpg files were created at the same time. I am surprised you can't just export the files to a computer and reimport them and have them act the same, but there may be something else to it. I can't test it here at work, but will test at home.

Thats basically what a Zoe is, however, there has to be more going on behind the scenes. Possibly some coding tying them together or something. When I copy to a computer, thats all I get, stills and 3 second video. Bringing it back into the phone, it seems theres no way of the phone to know that it all goes together as a Zoe. Same thing happens when doing automatic uploads to google plus, drop box... ect. Just a bunch of stills and a video. The content is there, but I have yet to find a way to get it recognized as a Zoe once its removed from the phone.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Thats basically what a Zoe is, however, there has to be more going on behind the scenes. Possibly some coding tying them together or something. When I copy to a computer, thats all I get, stills and 3 second video. Bringing it back into the phone, it seems theres no way of the phone to know that it all goes together as a Zoe. Same thing happens when doing automatic uploads to google plus, drop box... ect. Just a bunch of stills and a video. The content is there, but I have yet to find a way to get it recognized as a Zoe once its removed from the phone.

I was playing with this a bit last night and found using the split to option allows for new highlights to be created from the split files. I thought at the time that would be a way to get even outside pictures into a highlight. perhaps once you copy them on to the phone use the split to option and see if it re-activates it?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I was playing with this a bit last night and found using the split to option allows for new highlights to be created from the split files. I thought at the time that would be a way to get even outside pictures into a highlight. perhaps once you copy them on to the phone use the split to option and see if it re-activates it?

I will try this just by cuting them out of the gallery and moving to an outside file on the phone. Then copy them back to the gallery and see if this works.

Andrew Vlcek

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Where is the split to option? I think I saw that before, but cant seem to find it now.

Andrew Vlcek

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually I may be onto something. I copied a Zoe photo from my friends phone onto my computer. I then copied all the stills and the video onto my phone in the same directory as all mine my Zoe photos. At first it was showing up as I said before, one video and nine stills. I just picked up my phone now and saw that it merged all into one Zoe. So perhaps it just takes time and will automatically merge the stills and video into a Zoe. I can now edit it on my phone.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
it was showing up as I said before, one video and nine stills. I just picked up my phone now and saw that it merged all into one Zoe. So perhaps it just takes time and will automatically merge the stills and video into a Zoe. I can now

good. The split to/merge to options show up when you long press on an event in the event listing

cmunic8r99

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
You can also save them off the HTC share site, if you've uploaded them. They are wbem files.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Andrew Vlcek

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
How did you copy to the phone. Just drag and drop? Did you put them in DCIM\100Media\ ?

Yes, just drag and drop right in that folder. I left my phone sit for maybe 15 minutes before I checked it again and when I did, it was all merged into a full Zoe

You can also save them off the HTC share site, if you've uploaded them. They are wbem files.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

That doesnt work for backing up and restoring though. Basically I was looking to do 2 things with this. One is sharing a Zoe between 2 HTC Ones, but I wanted both phones to have a full Zoe that they can edit as if it was taken on that phone. For example, Phone A takes a Zoe. Then its copied to Phone B. Phone B can then view it as a normal Zoe, use all the cool editing tricks and all. Sharing through the web does not allow that. The 2nd was just for pure backup reasons. At some point, you will run out of room, which means you will then need to back them up on your computer or a DVD, or however you archive media. Lets say, 2 months later, you decide you want one of those Zoe put back on the phone. This of course isnt even possible with web sharing, and on top of that, up until this morning, I found no way to get the full Zoe experience back. Luckily the phone is smart enough to recognize those stills and mp4 are pieces of a whole. So looks like backing up or sharing will not be an issue. :)

For friends that do not have the HTC One, the web sharing at that poing is useful though. I do like that feature. Just didnt solve the problem I was looking to figure out.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, just drag and drop right in that folder. I left my phone sit for maybe 15 minutes before I checked it again and when I did, it was all merged into a full Zoe

That doesnt work for backing up and restoring though. Basically I was looking to do 2 things with this. One is sharing a Zoe between 2 HTC Ones, but I wanted both phones to have a full Zoe that they can edit as if it was taken on that phone. For example, Phone A takes a Zoe. Then its copied to Phone B. Phone B can then view it as a normal Zoe, use all the cool editing tricks and all. Sharing through the web does not allow that. The 2nd was just for pure backup reasons. At some point, you will run out of room, which means you will then need to back them up on your computer or a DVD, or however you archive media. Lets say, 2 months later, you decide you want one of those Zoe put back on the phone. This of course isnt even possible with web sharing, and on top of that, up until this morning, I found no way to get the full Zoe experience back. Luckily the phone is smart enough to recognize those stills and mp4 are pieces of a whole. So looks like backing up or sharing will not be an issue. :)

For friends that do not have the HTC One, the web sharing at that poing is useful though. I do like that feature. Just didnt solve the problem I was looking to figure out.

When I tired to just cut them to a different folder on the phone, when I copied them back, they were there according to the file manager, and could be viewed by clicking them and choosing gallery, but they never showed up in the gallery. They also never showed up in the hidden thumbnail directory either, so not sure why.

It is a pretty fun feature, but I hope they add more music/edits over time. I am sure using the same ones over an over will get old after a while.

Kurt Garloff

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Andrew,
I'm interested in understanding how the solution worked for you, because I can't seem to get the Zoe editing functionality to work again once I moved files around on the phone with a file manager. (I routinely move files that I have backed up to my NAS to a different folder.)
Whether I leave them in DCIM/SomeName or move back to DCIM/100MEDIA does not seem to make a difference for me.
Even stranger, the Gallery does not seem to see any of the jpg files, only the ZOEVIDEO.mp4 files...
I'll see whether different ways of moving (e.g. removing completely and restoring from NAS) makes a difference and report if I can find out anything.
Any insight is very welcome!

Kurt Garloff

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Found it...
When moving files with a file manager (ES3 here), the Gallery won't see the files as Zoes.
Using mv on the command line and a call of the Rescan Media app (from Aditya Talpade) and everything is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07