WiFi "Authentication problem"

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
At my parents' place and cannot for the life of me get my T-Mobile One to connect to their router. My Galaxy Nexus and wife's Galaxy Note 2 connect just fine using same settings, as well as a slew of laptops. My One just spits back an "Authentication problem." Any ideas? Have rebooted the phone and router numerous times, tried forgetting the network, quadruple checked the key.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Also check the limits of said router. It could be maxed out with all those other devices.

Posted via Android Central App

We didn't connect the other two phones until we realized there was a problem with the One, so I'm guessing it's not a device limit issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LordHK

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: WiFi "Authentication problem"

That didn't work. I have a android (version 4.1.1) phone ( no brand ) but every time I try to connect to WiFi ( Home and Public ), It just tell me that I can't connect to WiFi due to authentication problem.

p.s. I reset my home router a few times and reset my phone to factory settings too.

- - - Updated - - -

That didn't work. I have a android (version 4.1.1) phone ( no brand ) but every time I try to connect to WiFi ( Home and Public ), It just tell me that I can't connect to WiFi due to authentication problem.
PM me or post the solution :) Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thanks

p.s. I reset my home router a few times and reset my phone to factory settings too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you try changing the authentication protocol on the routers wifi?

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Zubair Ali

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
my Q noirA10 is not connected it shows wifi network but when i want to connect it shows authenticating for 5 sec and then shows authentication problem.? so wat can i do 4 tiz? plz tell me

fletch007

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that your parents wi-fi is setup using static addresses and not dhcp? I've run into that before.

You could also look and see what the range of IP addresses your parents router is distributing and enter a static address in your phone that fits within that range yet is higher enough up that it won't conflict with another device.

One of the things I was pleasantly surprised with when I got my One was how it handled WiFi addresses, my previous phone was the original HTC 4G. At work we have static addresses which I could enter no problem, but at home I was using dhcp. My phone wasn't able to switch from a static address to the router handing it an address at home. I don't know if this is a possibility for you with your One, but who knows. The cure for me in this case was a free app called WiFi Static. As I remember my phone was set up to use dhcp, but you enter your static address in WiFi Static and it handles the switching for you. I don't know if this was a phone issue or an Android system issue.

Oh well, good luck. I know how frustrating this can be when you see the network, but can't connect.

iiwyn

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC One and I had this same problem. I tried everyone's suggestions and it kept saying authentication error. I was able to connect to every other Wi-Fi network but the at my house. I ended up getting another router and I was able to connect. You don't need a brand new router just buy an old one from eBay or something. The router I use now is 54mbps. The previous one was 108mbps. Hope I helped someone.

DeeMc158

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a android tablet and last night my wi-fi went off it says "authentication problem". I have tried torestart my router ans the tablet, ive pressed "forget" on my usual wi-fi network and ive tried to re connect it again, and itkeeps on sayin that theres the authentication problem. I'd love help as im not the best when it comesto things like this.

oldgoldtop

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am getting this now since recent update to tablet but only on my verizon FIOS wifi. I have comcast at another property which connects as well as a neighbors unsecured wifi. What is going on?

James Hennigan

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
i finally fixed it!

heres what i did (on my AT&T uverse router)
i went onto the default gateway which should be 192.168.1.254 (enter this into internet adress bar)
then homenetwork>wireless>WPS - ON

so all i did was turn on the wireless protected setup which bascially "supports the use of Wireless Protected Setup (WPS). WPS provides a convenient way to add advanced secure WiFi connections for multiple WiFi certified WPS devices to your network. Older clients can continue to connect using the original security setting. WPS clients can connect and learn the security setting using the hardware pushbutton or PIN. The client machine(s) to be added should be powered on and their wireless cards operational."

^all the mumbo jumbo was just info givin to me while i set it up.

after doing this i forgot the network (on my generic chinese tablet) and rentered the password and it connected!

hope this helps somebody

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Crazy story, hope someone can help me.
I have a 9-year-old Linksys WRT54G running firmware version v2.04.4.
All these years, I never used a password, it was an open network, I live in a rural area.
But I finally decided to change that. So I added a password.
All of my laptops, Rokus, tablets, iPhones worked perfectly after I added the password.
Except the One, which has the authenticating, connecting issue.
Sigh.
I've fooled around with the advanced settings on the One and don't want to muck with the router's settings and really screw things up.
The security mode is WPA Pre-Shared Key and the WPA Algorithms are AES. It says: Avoid poor internet connection.
The signal strength on the One is excellent, security is WPA PSK.
Can anyone help? Thanks. Thats what I get for changing things I guess. Sigh.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Delete WiFi profile on one then reboot linksys

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Well, I did that, and after rebooting the router, my old network name was gone and a new one replaced it. Good thing was, I was able to get my One to connect, bad thing was I had to go on every wifi device in my house and reconnect. Thank goodness, there weren't any issues. Back to normal.