Thinking of getting the HTC One later this year, some questions...

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, after thinking of whether I wanted to get the Galaxy S4 or HTC one, I think im leaning towards the HTC one. I dont care about all the gimmicks and gestures in the S4 and I think Sense is probaly less obstrusive than touchwiz. plus I think I dont think I like the over saturation of super amoled in the S4. While I like the bigger battery in the S4 and the fact its removable, I believe the battery life on the HTC one is comparable is it not? and I honestly have a external battery pack for charging anyway, so ill use that instead of having a pocket full of batteries.

But, I did have some questions, as I did with the S4, about the HTC one. and I hope that those who have had the phone for a bit can help me answer them. (for reference, I currently have a Nexus 4.)

1. Im probaly going to be getting this phone later in the year because I have to wait to get out of my ATT contract and im going to tmobile instead of continuing with my parents family plan. So, considering I am probaly going to be getting the phone towards the end of this year, do you believe that it is powerful enough and up to date tech wise to still be worth purchasing at that time isntead of waiting out for whatever the sequel hpone would be. I know that phone tech advances at a break neck speed, but I just want to know if this phone should be good for atleast another 2 years or so from a performance standpoint? I dont want to get it towards the end of the year then fidn it struggles to run certain things well.

2. should there be any reason I should be worried about this phone getting support from the company or being supported from a accessory standpoint or support because of HTCs current troubles. I know that we should probaly be more concerned with the actual phone itself when deciding to buy rather than its maker, but with the S4 im going to know that its going to be greatly supported from case manufactures's, accesory makers, and finding replacement parts will be easy. With the HTC one, however, I dont know how many case makers will support it, how easy it will be to get the phone fixed if there is a issue with it, and if HTC continues its downslop financialy if theres a risk of the phone just stops getting supported at all because HTC cant do it because theyre in such rough shape. (I know that one way to solve this problem is to go with the google edition of the HTC one because google will handle updating it then, but I heard that the GE HTC ONE dosent play nice with alot of Tmobile HSPA+ spectrum. plus I cant afford to pay $600 outright.) I keep my phones for about 2 years or less before upgrading, so maybe HTCs problems wont play a potential factor that soon.

3. Do you notice the phone getting warm or hot after extended use? I know after playing games on my Nexus 4 it can get quite warm and it does bug me. so im wondering if the metal backing of the One helps with heat dissipation?

4. Did you find HTCs button layout to be too weird? I sorta like have a dedicated home button, but maybe this is something I can get over.

5. Do you use a case with your phone? does that just take away from the build quality that's been touted so much when you just put a plastic case on it?

If anyone can give their input on these questions, id greatly appreciate it. :)

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
1. Im probaly going to be getting this phone later in the year because I have to wait to get out of my ATT contract and im going to tmobile instead of continuing with my parents family plan. So, considering I am probaly going to be getting the phone towards the end of this year, do you believe that it is powerful enough and up to date tech wise to still be worth purchasing at that time isntead of waiting out for whatever the sequel hpone would be. I know that phone tech advances at a break neck speed, but I just want to know if this phone should be good for atleast another 2 years or so from a performance standpoint?

No phone is perfect. No one can guarantee you that a phone will be the best in two years. In 2011, the Galaxy S2 was king. S3 came out....and the rest is history. At the moment, I personally think the HTC One is the best. Will it still be good by end 2013. Yeah. Will it still be good by 2014. Sure.

2. should there be any reason I should be worried about this phone getting support from the company or being supported from a accessory standpoint [..]With the HTC one, however, I dont know how many case makers will support it[..]

I haven't had any problem finding cases or screen protectors. This is speaking from a guy who used to own a Nexus 4. Check eBay and Amazon. Search. See if what you find is what you like.

3. Do you notice the phone getting warm or hot after extended use?

I have not noticed it getting hot, but then I am not a gamer.

4. Did you find HTCs button layout to be too weird?

Is different, but nothing that you can not get used to.

5. Do you use a case with your phone?

I do. Get a good case. If you are the kind to mind even the minor of minor scratches, then any of your phone should have a case. I don't mind having a case on mine. Get a clear one and that should give you a chance to show off your phone. :p If you like to live dangerously, go nekkid. :D

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
1. It'll still be a respectable phone 1 or 2 years from now, but whatever device you buy will only feel cutting edge for a few months at best. It's more important to get a phone that has features you're happy with and performance that makes you smile. If it does those things then just forget about the cutting edge until you're capable of affording a new phone and be happy with your smart purchase.

2. The HTC One is selling well and there will be no shortage of accessories. Maybe not as many as the S4 or the iPhone but there already are some good ones out there, and there will be even more now that it's widely available and will no doubt sell many more.

3. Mine can get warm if it is in a weak signal area and has to work to find a good signal. It can also get warm if I do a long upload/download. It's never gotten anywhere near what I would call 'hot'. And, when it does get warm that warmth does go away very quickly, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

4. No. After a week or two of use it'll be second nature and you won't even notice it.

5. No. I have no interest in a case because I do love the look & feel of the phone. I've ended up doing the same with all my prior phones. Every once in a while I'll buy a cool case but I end up preferring my phone without it. I've never had any serious incidents. My phones will end up a little more dinged up at the end of a year or two than a phone in a case, but I consider the happiness of handling it "naked" for that time more than worth any decrease in resale value.

Whatever phone you end up getting, HTC One, S4, or otherwise, I hope you love it! :)

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about this phone being supportedi would guess that you should see updates for a year or longer. The phone has gotten warm on me a couple of times but I think that was more to do with me trying to upload a file on sprints 3g network. You may get used to the button placement( it's still my biggest gripe with the phone.) Just get a decent case I'm currently looking for another because the casemate barely their case isn't cutting it.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
As far as it being up to date a year or two from now, I don't really need it to be top of the line and the best (that's unrealistic) I do however want it to be able to handle what I want it to do for the time I have it (that being power user uses like games and such)

Again, I don't need the best of the best two years from now, just something that will continue to be smooth, you know? Since I'm going to be getting it later in the year.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I put a smoke color tpu case on mine today and it still looks badass and the feel of it over the phone is a lot better a lot better grip and easy to game and text. My phone does not get hot at all and my battery lasts all day with pretty decent use. I will be happy with this phone for the next 2 years

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How does sense 5 compare to stock Android I have on my nexus 4? Is it a semi easy transition?

I only played with an HTC ONE for a few minutes and felt like it was pretty simple to figure out and navigate. I'm sure with time it would be easy to get used to.

Also, since you are going to Tmo have you considered buying the unlocked Google Experience HTC ONE with stock Android? That might allay any software transition fears, although apparently you'll lose a lot of the Sense 5 features and camera processing abilities that the HTC ONE with Sense has.

Posted via Android Central App

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The google edition doesn't work on a lot of tmobile spectrum. There no 1700 band, which is most if their HSPA + spectrum, isn't it?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The google edition doesn't work on a lot of tmobile spectrum. There no 1700 band, which is most if their HSPA + spectrum, isn't it?

Yes but they are in the middle of a spectrum moving project (refarming). So by the end of the year this likely won't be the issue that it is right now. In some areas it isn't an issue already. Their ultimate goal is to have both LTE and HSPA+ spread out over both bands.

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure HTC One 'll still perform fast in the coming 2 years with it's impressive hardware and the new HTC UI which specially designed for the One. Most of the apps in Google play still running smoothly even on single or dual core devices. HTC is currently facing employees problem, but I don't think it's a big deal because there is only few persons resigned, HTC once faced production problem with the One but it solved long time ago, for me smartphone manufacturer having delay with the production is normal, this means demand over production which is a good sign, moreover HTC has solved the problem proved that they are not having a financial problem. Do remember that Google always take good care of android smartphone manufacturer(motorola). You have the option of either case of just a bumper, for me I 'll choose bumper because it won't take away the beautiful build quality of the phone and it doesn't trap heat, if normal case 'll trap heat easily, make your phone warmer. The button layout is first of its kind, 'll need sometime to make use to it, but overall it still an amazing phone. Its worth of its price but consider you having a nexus4 now, it's not worth to have a switch, nexus4 is still a good phone.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
When considering one phone over another I think current owners' experience is a better yardstick than website reviewer's opinions. Check out each phone's Bug Reports (like the one at the top of this Forum) submitted by actual owners of the phone you are considering. You will find many trivial complaints but some may be a show stopper for you. Good luck in whatever phone you choose.

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
When considering one phone over another I think current owners' experience is a better yardstick than website reviewer's opinions. Check out each phone's Bug Reports (like the one at the top of this Forum) submitted by actual owners of the phone you are considering. You will find many trivial complaints but some may be a show stopper for you. Good luck in whatever phone you choose.

...yes because some phones are laggy and have a dim screen

Last edited: