Just went out and got the HTC One

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I know I was just asking questions this morning, trying to decide between phones, but when I saw Amazon had the HTC One for 99.00 for a one day sale only, I took it as a sign and went and got it. Have been on the fence and to the store for weeks, and decided I just needed to bite the bullet and stop analyzing. Went to Best Buy and they did the price match, so have the phone in hand. So far, so good! Really liking everything. Easy to use.

First question of many, many sure to come. Best Buy said I needed to re-download all of my apps. I am in the process of doing this, but it takes soo long (10 minutes + for Words With Friends). Just yesterday, asked my husband to download an app on his phone, and it took his Droid about 30 seconds. Kind of thought this would be the case with the One. Does this sound right?

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I know I was just asking questions this morning, trying to decide between phones, but when I saw Amazon had the HTC One for 99.00 for a one day sale only, I took it as a sign and went and got it. Have been on the fence and to the store for weeks, and decided I just needed to bite the bullet and stop analyzing. Went to Best Buy and they did the price match, so have the phone in hand. So far, so good! Really liking everything. Easy to use.

First question of many, many sure to come. Best Buy said I needed to re-download all of my apps. I am in the process of doing this, but it takes soo long (10 minutes + for Words With Friends). Just yesterday, asked my husband to download an app on his phone, and it took his Droid about 30 seconds. Kind of thought this would be the case with the One. Does this sound right?

Depends on what data connection you are using. If you are on like slow 3g or worse it could take that long. Wifi, much less time. If you have fast data but slow app updates(not sure if this is what you meant) then there might be a problem with the phone.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Is your One connected to wifi or are you using a cell phone signal? If cell phone signal, how many bars and what type of signal are you getting (2G, 4G, 4G LTE, etc..)? If it took 10 minutes for WWF then I'm guessing whatever connection you're using is very slow. It should take about 30 seconds on your One too when you have a good solid signal, so hopefully when you go to download other apps you'll have a stronger signal (or faster wifi) and your downloads should go much quicker.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

That has to do with the carrier/Wi-Fi speed and little to do with the phone. Your husband is on Verizon, who is your carrier? If you're on Sprint 3G, then that download time is slow but not unheard of. You should really try to get on Wi-Fi to download all your apps initially.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone, on Sprint 3G. Husband is on Verizon. I have 4G in my area, but don't know where to go on the phone to turn that on yet. So, if I am around my house, should I just stay on the Wi-Fi all day? Would I have to switch back to cell service when I left the house, or will it do that automatically when I am out of Wi-Fi range? Never really changed connections on my old Evo. It was a little slow, but seemed to always work okay. Just thought the new phone would be noticeably faster, but I guess if the service is the problem will try changing the settings.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh forgot a couple of more questions. First, don't like the way the screen unlocks. Is there a choice on the phone or do I need an app for that? Also, my old phone would actually show the number percentage of usage left on the battery on the top bar. Don't see that here and would like to have that again. Is this a setting or an app I need to download?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone, on Sprint 3G. Husband is on Verizon. I have 4G in my area, but don't know where to go on the phone to turn that on yet. So, if I am around my house, should I just stay on the Wi-Fi all day? Would I have to switch back to cell service when I left the house, or will it do that automatically when I am out of Wi-Fi range? Never really changed connections on my old Evo. It was a little slow, but seemed to always work okay. Just thought the new phone would be noticeably faster, but I guess if the service is the problem will try changing the settings.

The phone should be defaulted to connect to 4G (LTE). You should always use Wi-Fi if you have it available because it is almost always faster and uses less power. If you leave it will automatically fall back to cellular coverage so you don't have to worry about changing the setting each time.

rober7o

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh forgot a couple of more questions. First, don't like the way the screen unlocks. Is there a choice on the phone or do I need an app for that? Also, my old phone would actually show the number percentage of usage left on the battery on the top bar. Don't see that here and would like to have that again. Is this a setting or an app I need to download?

What is it that you dont like about unlocking the phone? in case you didn't know you can slide the entire clock up and it will work, you dont have to touch the little lock icon, if for some reason thats not enough you can install something like "widget locker" and make your own lockscreen. As far as the percentage in your battery goes, this will be in the next update but for now you can download "battery widget reborn" which serves the same purpose and could give you alot more info if needed.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure exactly, just seems plain? Kind of like those bubbly screen unlocks that look fluid. Also, my Evo was a swipe down, so just getting used to up-swiping. Also, my daughter just called me and I had to unlock the phone before answering. Evo didn't ask or need to be unlocked, the screen just came up live with the call to answer or decline. No unlocking. Is there a setting to change this? Thanks everyone! Having fun exploring the new phone. Had my old one for years, so getting used to the changes.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure exactly, just seems plain? Kind of like those bubbly screen unlocks that look fluid. Also, my Evo was a swipe down, so just getting used to up-swiping. Also, my daughter just called me and I had to unlock the phone before answering. Evo didn't ask or need to be unlocked, the screen just came up live with the call to answer or decline. No unlocking. Is there a setting to change this? Thanks everyone! Having fun exploring the new phone. Had my old one for years, so getting used to the changes.

You don't have to unlock to answer a call. To the right of the little lock it says 'Answer.' Just swipe up there and it will answer the call.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If your having slow download speeds, just call Sprint and ask them to reprovision your phone. It only takes a few minutes and everything is done on their end. Sometimes, at first setup, your pinging off a tower that's sending bad readings to the phone making it not work correctly. Reprovisioning corrects this.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Yeah if you are around the house definitely put on the wifi. Especially if you are downloading a bunch of stuff. 3G speeds with sprint are just horrid. You might want to consider an app like Tasker or Llama to control things and save battery. I use Llama and love it. When I am home it knows to use wifi, keep my screen on longer but at reduced brightness. Outside of home if knows to crank up the screen so I can see better, turn off wifi, turn up the ringer volume and shorten the duration of screen being on. You can have other areas set up too, like one for work, or maybe the theatre to turn things off. I also have a profile for really noisy areas to change my ringtone and max the volume out. Very helpful.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If your having slow download speeds, just call Sprint and ask them to reprovision your phone. It only takes a few minutes and everything is done on their end. Sometimes, at first setup, your pinging off a tower that's sending bad readings to the phone making it not work correctly. Reprovisioning corrects this.

I had this issue with Rogers and called them.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I heard best buy doesn't do price matching for upgrades anymore, so you're lucky!

I'm so tempted to get it with this deal, but I know my dad's work has a 15% off coupon (on our service only, not phones) for being affiliated with sprint, and I'm pretty sure to get that percent off, we'd have to upgrade through sprint. I just don't see amazon handling that, and activating the phone through sprint and doing that may be considered breach of contract, at least from what I understand of wirefly's contract? Though I believe amazon wireless has different terms than wirefly.

Sorry to be off-topic in your thread, OP. I'd make a thread asking if anyone knows if it could work or not, but I don't know if anyone would even know.

UPDATE: Looks like as long as the plan itself doesn't change (ie: check out with the correct plan from amazon, then call with discount code to activate, and discount will apply to plan, but same plan that I chose on amazon), I should be ok? I want to call sprint first to be sure, though.

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I heard best buy doesn't do price matching for upgrades anymore, so you're lucky!

I'm so tempted to get it with this deal, but I know my dad's work has a 15% off coupon (on our service only, not phones) for being affiliated with sprint, and I'm pretty sure to get that percent off, we'd have to upgrade through sprint. I just don't see amazon handling that, and activating the phone through sprint and doing that may be considered breach of contract, at least from what I understand of wirefly's contract? Though I believe amazon wireless has different terms than wirefly.

Sorry to be off-topic in your thread, OP. I'd make a thread asking if anyone knows if it could work or not, but I don't know if anyone would even know.

No need to buy from Sprint to get the service discount. Buy the phone then go to Sprint to apply your discount. They'll make you sign a new 2 year contract that's all (which you just did anyway when you bought your phone so no loss). Best buy would not price match for me either so I second the lucky part lol

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
No need to buy from Sprint to get the service discount. Buy the phone then go to Sprint to apply your discount. They'll make you sign a new 2 year contract that's all (which you just did anyway when you bought your phone so no loss). Best buy would not price match for me either so I second the lucky part lol

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
I hope you're right! It seems to be.

I was gonna wait to upgrade until we had 4g here but I've been eligible since last august and I really want to! I've never had a phone with a fragile screen, so I am worried about that. Eek.

Anyone got a favorite insurance? I'm leaning towards Worth Ave...

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I hope you're right! It seems to be.

I was gonna wait to upgrade until we had 4g here but I've been eligible since last august and I really want to! I've never had a phone with a fragile screen, so I am worried about that. Eek.

Anyone got a favorite insurance? I'm leaning towards Worth Ave...

I'm right :) lol

I got the Best Buy insurance 160$ and you get unlimited claims for no added cost. I know they're many differences in opinions about touch screen durability, here's mine (will vary)
My Evo lte (which was also mostly aluminum) took fall after fall onto concrete and never broke...still love that phone. Its part of the reason i bought my One. To me the aluminum protects the edge of the glass better. Again opinion will vary.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm right :) lol

I got the Best Buy insurance 160$ and you get unlimited claims for no added cost. I know they're many differences in opinions about touch screen durability, here's mine (will vary)
My Evo lte (which was also mostly aluminum) took fall after fall onto concrete and never broke...still love that phone. Its part of the reason i bought my One. To me the aluminum protects the edge of the glass better. Again opinion will vary.
I'm purchasing from amazon with their deal today, though, not best buy, so I don't think I can go for theirs.

Amazon is showing me that my service is $120, which would make sense if I were the premium line on the family plan, buuut I'm not, I'm a $20/mo add-on. So I'm a little confused by that. I wonder if it's cause I'd be the first to upgrade out of the three of us on that plan?

EDIT: Got one anyway. Yay!!! :D And I got an otterbox case while I was at it, just need to get insurance now!

Last edited:

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why the difference. I got mine as the 2nd person on the plan of 3 to upgrade, on Sprint as the carrier. Best Buy looked up the price right there while I waited. The guy did have to go over and talk to his manager, but when he came back said they would honor the price. Wondered if there would be some prob since it was not a regularly advertised sale like in an ad or something and just for 1 day, but all was well! Thought that was a Best Buy corporate thing about the price match. Didn't know the individual stores could make the call.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: Got one anyway. Yay!!! :D And I got an otterbox case while I was at it, just need to get insurance now!

Well congrats on the purchase, hope you like it. I wasn't gonna upgrade because i was happy with my Evo lte but damn i just couldn't resist The One. From design to build materials to functionality, i just like everything about this phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non