1.29 software update for UK carrier branded HTC One

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone got it yet? I'm on the three network, but after being told for a month that it was in testing, and we would be informed when it would be available, they are now saying that this update ewas already included as the phone was released. So even through the phone shows it's got software version 1.28, it is actually running the 1.29 update. But I can't see any of these fixes, especially in the camera which still has issues with overexposure and poor dynamic range. So I don't know if we are just being fobbed off here. How about other networks? Got your update yet? What have you been told so far? This is pretty infuriating. Three are saying there will be no separate 1.29 update at all. I'm confused. Has anyone heard any different?

These are the responses on the Three blog
HTC One – Coming Soon. - Welcome to the Three Blog -

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm with three and still on 1.28, I think there talking rubbish too if they suggested it is actually 1.29. I'm quite confident it isn't. Really don't know why it takes some networks so long to push updates out. If other networks have already released it then why are three delaying it??

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm with three and still on 1.28, I think there talking rubbish too if they suggested it is actually 1.29. I'm quite confident it isn't. Really don't know why it takes some networks so long to push updates out. If other networks have already released it then why are three delaying it??

The worst thing is they are not even delaying, they are saying it's already on our phones from the start! I just cannot understand that! I am pretty certain this is not 1.29 like they are saying. The camera is still has those issues that were on 1.28, the overexposure and the lack of dynamic range, and the colour is different too with pics taken with 1.29. Also the capacitive buttons are supposed to have become more sensitive because they weren't so responsive on 1.28, that is still there.

i really dont know how they have come to this conclusion. They are blaming HTC. Well I will contact HTC and get a response from them. Just curious, can the people who already have 1.29, What improvements have you noticed compared to 1.28? If you could just list them, i will forward that to three and tell them if i am lacking in these fixes, because I really cannot see 1.29 on this phone.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am on EE (Orange) but my phone is an unlocked version, courtesy of P4U! I also got the update back in May, just after it was released.

All of the updates in 1.29 are very subtle, as well as the camera improvements and button sensitivity tweaks there was also a modification to the Beats Audio and a couple of other minor bug fixes, so it is quite difficult to quantify the difference. I hadn't started using the camera that much at the time, so hard to say, and the difference in the Beats sound was so minor that you would have to do a side by side comparison to hear a difference, but I can definitely recall an improvement in the button sensitivity.

No matter what Three say, if the phone shows 1.28, you can bet your grannys best set of teeth that that is what it is, not 1.29. It would be far simpler (not to mention cheaper and faster) to code and distribute the udate itself, than it would be to pull off a hack like that.

If you use Twitter then you could try @htc_uk but while they don't like to get involved in disputes between any one else, they like negative tweets even less.

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Just saw a post on the xda forums about this too, seems like three are always the slowest with updates. I'm not gonna complain too much thou what other network would allow me to download 50GB a week without no throttling :p

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just saw a post on the xda forums about this too, seems like three are always the slowest with updates. I'm not gonna complain too much thou what other network would allow me to download 50GB a week without no throttling :p

Hi, do you have a link to that topic on the xda forums? i cant seem to find it.

Twixer

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I am on three Network also and my last phone was the HTC OneX, I was one of the last people to recieve the last update for that phone, therefore I am now on a sim only deal with Three UK using my own unbranded HTC ONE, Three are notoriously slow on releasing updates so sadly dont hold your breath on being among the first to get any updates, sorry for the grim news but that is the way it is!

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Well I contacted HTC and this is what they said to say.

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your handset.

My name is Katrine and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I understand that your phone is branded to 3, and has not received the update to Android 1.29. Unfortunately, branded devices receive their own updates. I would advice that you double check with 3, and ask them if they intend to release an update to 1.29 or not. I am sorry that there is no more information available on the matter.

They are just blaming each other now, the losers end up being us. This stinks!! Not impressed at all!!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
That has been a huge problem with HTC ever since they became popular. I faced the exact same problem with my One X and I ended up selling before it even got JellyBean officially. In fact, my device was unbranded and international, however the CID (HTC__J15) was Middle East and we always received updates the very, very last, sometimes three or more months after everyone else receives them. Custom ROMs all the way, my friend.

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
What is the easiest way to flash a rom? I just want the stock rom that the unbranded phone has, so I can update without being dependent on three. I've never flashed a rom on a phone, but i'm not a computing/tech newbie so I dont have a problem following instructions. What is the best method to use?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you want to be fully stock and be able to receive updates, the only way I could think of is to change your CID to that of the unbranded One, flash the appropriate RUU for it and then use software update. That's going to require a lot of work, though, including unlocking bootloader, going S-OFF, changing CID, relocking bootloader and then flashing RUU. If you won't find this a hassle, let me know and I'll search for a guide.

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If you want to be fully stock and be able to receive updates, the only way I could think of is to change your CID to that of the unbranded One, flash the appropriate RUU for it and then use software update. That's going to require a lot of work, though, including unlocking bootloader, going S-OFF, changing CID, relocking bootloader and then flashing RUU. If you won't find this a hassle, let me know and I'll search for a guide.

Well I will give it a try. Or is a full root and flashing custom rom a better way to go? how stable are these roms? is there one which is pretty much stock with sense 5?

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There's one called Android Revolution HD which i think is just basically standard 4.2.2 with sense, just little improvements to battery life etc

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I will give it a try. Or is a full root and flashing custom rom a better way to go? how stable are these roms? is there one which is pretty much stock with sense 5?

Flashing a custom ROM would not only be a better way to go since 4.2.2 packs a lot of features that are missing on 4.1.2, but it will also be a MUCH easier route. Android Revolution HD 11.0 is basically stock and based on Sense 5 and 4.2.2. It just has better performance and battery life than stock ROM, but everything else is identical and there are no visual changes.

Link here: [ROM] Android Revolution HD 11.0 | 4.2.2 | High Quality & Performance | 2.19.401.1 - xda-developers

You'd need to unlock bootloader and flash custom recovery, and here's a guide: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

There are a couple of things you need to know before going ahead and doing this:

1) Unlocking bootloader will most likely wipe your data, so make a backup beforehand. You can just drag and drop important files and folders from your SD card to your computer.

2) You'll need to copy the Android Revolution HD zip when you download it to your SD card, like Downloads folder, for instance.

3) When you flash a custom recovery, make sure to erase cache by typing 'fastboot erase cache' in the command prompt and then use the volume buttons to choose "Reboot to bootloader" on your device before accessing recovery.

4) Make a Nandroid Backup of your current stock ROM before you install Android Revolution HD. If you install TWRP, for instance, you can just tap "Backup" and then "start" and it will do it for you.

5) When installing ARHD, tap on "Wipe my virtual SD card" so you can do a clean install and avoid any problems. Don't worry, that will only remove your current system but your data (as in pictures, music, etc.) will remain unaffected.

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Flashing a custom ROM would not only be a better way to go since 4.2.2 packs a lot of features that are missing on 4.1.2, but it will also be a MUCH easier route. Android Revolution HD 11.0 is basically stock and based on Sense 5 and 4.2.2. It just has better performance and battery life than stock ROM, but everything else is identical and there are no visual changes.

Link here: [ROM] Android Revolution HD 11.0 | 4.2.2 | High Quality & Performance | 2.19.401.1 - xda-developers

You'd need to unlock bootloader and flash custom recovery, and here's a guide: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

There are a couple of things you need to know before going ahead and doing this:

1) Unlocking bootloader will most likely wipe your data, so make a backup beforehand. You can just drag and drop important files and folders from your SD card to your computer.

2) You'll need to copy the Android Revolution HD zip when you download it to your SD card, like Downloads folder, for instance.

3) When you flash a custom recovery, make sure to erase cache by typing 'fastboot erase cache' in the command prompt and then use the volume buttons to choose "Reboot to bootloader" on your device before accessing recovery.

4) Make a Nandroid Backup of your current stock ROM before you install Android Revolution HD. If you install TWRP, for instance, you can just tap "Backup" and then "start" and it will do it for you.

5) When installing ARHD, tap on "Wipe my virtual SD card" so you can do a clean install and avoid any problems. Don't worry, that will only remove your current system but your data (as in pictures, music, etc.) will remain unaffected.

Cheers for that, think I will just root and flash that Rom.

slick1two

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is interested to know. Just got off a live chat with a HTC rep. I have the whole transcript, but this is the crucial part.

Just got off a livechat with a HTC rep. Copied the whole transcript but the important thing that was said was this.

me: hi just a query regarding the 1.29 software update for the HTC One, which was released in April. I take it you are aware of this update?

Lee: Yes.

me: what is he procedure with passing on these updates to the networks? because I am with three, and they are insisting that the fixes of the 1,29 update are already on the phone, and were included in version 1.28.771.6 they are saying they have received nothing from HTC and so will not be releasing any separate update

Lee: The 1.29 update contains this only, anythign before this is incorrect. 1.29 has been released to all networks, at the same time we released it to all unbranded units.

In other words three are lying b*stards!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty