Thinking of getting the HTC One with Sense 5. Some questions....

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm in the market for a on contract phone with AT&T and I think I've decided on the HTC ONE. originally I was going to go with the moto X because it's was the closest thing to stock android UI that we have on carriers.

However, after some careful thought, I think going with the HTC ONE is the better buy, mainly because for the same 200 dollars on contract I can get a 1080p screen, a better CPU, a better camera, and better sounding speakers.

Howe er, one of the main concerns I have is going from the stock android of my nexus 4 to the HTC sense UI. And I have some other questions. So I would love to hear from you guys on what your thoughts are:

1. The first question, and concern, is with sense 5. How would it be transitioning to this from stock android? Does sense 5 feel anything like stock android? Do you find it a issue.

2. If I don't like how sense 5 feels, is there any good third party launchers that are close to how stock android is? Or is it EASY and safe to flash the Google edition stock android room on this HTC ONE? I don't really do that because I'm always afraid of messing up my phone somehow. Is it safe to do and pretty easy?

3. Does flashing to the Google edition stock romantic give you the same exact thing g as having a HTC one Google edition? Or is it not implemented exactly the same? Like would I gain any kind of the battery improvements I hear the Google edition HTC ONE gets over the regular one?

4. How is the battery life on this phone? Is it better than the Nexus 4?

5. How confidant are you that this phone will receive good and timely software support over the next two years? Is there NY promising news about HTC updating the sense version in a semi timely manner. I just don't want what happened ed to the one X to happen to this phone, you know.

Honestly, the Google version of this phone would probaly have been ideal for me, but I'm living with the reality that I can't drop 600 dollars right now. As far as extending my contract goes, I don't mind because I like being on the family plan I'm on and don't mind staying on it for two more years.

But I want to make sure I'm not making g the wrong choice choosing the carrier version of this phone.

So, what are your thoughts?

StingDrop

May 3, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm in the market for a on contract phone with AT&T and I think I've decided on the HTC ONE. originally I was going to go with the moto X because it's was the closest thing to stock android UI that we have on carriers.

However, after some careful thought, I think going with the HTC ONE is the better buy, mainly because for the same 200 dollars on contract I can get a 1080p screen, a better CPU, a better camera, and better sounding speakers.

Howe er, one of the main concerns I have is going from the stock android of my nexus 4 to the HTC sense UI. And I have some other questions. So I would love to hear from you guys on what your thoughts are:

1. The first question, and concern, is with sense 5. How would it be transitioning to this from stock android? Does sense 5 feel anything like stock android? Do you find it a issue.

2. If I don't like how sense 5 feels, is there any good third party launchers that are close to how stock android is? Or is it EASY and safe to flash the Google edition stock android room on this HTC ONE? I don't really do that because I'm always afraid of messing up my phone somehow. Is it safe to do and pretty easy?

3. Does flashing to the Google edition stock romantic give you the same exact thing g as having a HTC one Google edition? Or is it not implemented exactly the same? Like would I gain any kind of the battery improvements I hear the Google edition HTC ONE gets over the regular one?

4. How is the battery life on this phone? Is it better than the Nexus 4?

5. How confidant are you that this phone will receive good and timely software support over the next two years? Is there NY promising news about HTC updating the sense version in a semi timely manner. I just don't want what happened ed to the one X to happen to this phone, you know.

Honestly, the Google version of this phone would probaly have been ideal for me, but I'm living with the reality that I can't drop 600 dollars right now. As far as extending my contract goes, I don't mind because I like being on the family plan I'm on and don't mind staying on it for two more years.

But I want to make sure I'm not making g the wrong choice choosing the carrier version of this phone.

So, what are your thoughts?

how bout you get it and i help you convert to a fully google play edition htc one since you like stock i did that with my htc one

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
To address the first and most pressing question:

If you do not like sense and would prefer a Google edition Rom, the timely updates would be irrelevant as you would have to unroot and relock bootloader to accept an OTA. However, HTC is saying they will have 4.3 pushed by the end of September.

As with any device that is switching to anothers software that has not been optimized for it, there may be some trade offs. That being said, the GE one and the carrier one have the same hardware. A GE Rom should run fine on the HTC one, given it is a direct and accurate port. Rooting and unlocking the bootloader can cause some problems if you mistype a command, and Rom flashing can go wrong if you have a corrupt file. However, if you install a custom recovery and create a nandroid backup and store a copy on your computer, you are 90% more likely to be able to correct any potential problems. If you study up, read about it a ton, watch a few videos, and use a method that is well developed, you should be fine. Flashing a Rom is the easier of the three steps.

Sense 5 is not similar to vanilla in anyway, however, it is great in it's own ways. It is visually pleasing and much less resource consuming than it's predecessors. It is very mature and refined, snappy, no lag, and the camera improvements over stock are many. Beats audio is also a plus.

If you were to choose to try a launcher to gain a vanilla feel, nova launcher would probably be your best bet. It is smooth, doesn't consume much battery, and is very similar to stock in many ways. However, this will not replace the lock screen or other sense themed apps, only the home pages and app drawer.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
To address the first and most pressing question:

If you do not like sense and would prefer a Google edition Rom, the timely updates would be irrelevant as you would have to unroot and relock bootloader to accept an OTA. However, HTC is saying they will have 4.3 pushed by the end of September.

As with any device that is switching to anothers software that has not been optimized for it, there may be some trade offs. That being said, the GE one and the carrier one have the same hardware. A GE Rom should run fine on the HTC one, given it is a direct and accurate port. Rooting and unlocking the bootloader can cause some problems if you mistype a command, and Rom flashing can go wrong if you have a corrupt file. However, if you install a custom recovery and create a nandroid backup and store a copy on your computer, you are 90% more likely to be able to correct any potential problems. If you study up, read about it a ton, watch a few videos, and use a method that is well developed, you should be fine. Flashing a Rom is the easier of the three steps.

Sense 5 is not similar to vanilla in anyway, however, it is great in it's own ways. It is visually pleasing and much less resource consuming than it's predecessors. It is very mature and refined, snappy, no lag, and the camera improvements over stock are many. Beats audio is also a plus.

If you were to choose to try a launcher to gain a vanilla feel, nova launcher would probably be your best bet. It is smooth, doesn't consume much battery, and is very similar to stock in many ways. However, this will not replace the lock screen or other sense themed apps, only the home pages and app drawer.

I'm fully open to giving sense a fair shot. I was just saying I've been using stock android for all my android usage thus far, so I was afraid going to sense would be a downgrade

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Sense 5 is a skinned Andoid 4.1 (to 4.3) rom,you will find the typical menu and icons positionings but with some additional widgets and interesting stuff like internet walk through (reverse tethering).
If you don't like it...root and flash either Google Play Roms(stock Android), or a CM based rom

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I fully converted my HTC one from sense to the Google play edition and couldn't be happier. It wasn't very difficult, did not require rooting, and I get the stock experience with timely updates on one of the best pieces of hardware.

By the way, the screen is amazing. Best of luck.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm fully open to giving sense a fair shot. I was just saying I've been using stock android for all my android usage thus far, so I was afraid going to sense would be a downgrade

I meant after you try it, and happen to not like sense :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd do this on your Nexus 4. Try Nova or Apex and see what you can do and how you like it.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
While this isn't exactly giving you the physical feel of using sense, here are a few shots of my droid DNA running a 4.2.2+Sense 5 port from the HTC ONE. It will give you an idea of how it looks in comparison of stock. I can also run a GPE HTC ONE Rom if you would like to see how it is. I'm sure it would run better on the ONE than the DNA, though.

Attachments

• 1377019206514.jpg
    1377019206514.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1377019217633.jpg
    1377019217633.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 32
  • 1377019227370.jpg
    1377019227370.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1377019245347.jpg
    1377019245347.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1377019254389.jpg
    1377019254389.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 1377019269382.jpg
    1377019269382.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 1377019285654.jpg
    1377019285654.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1377019293864.jpg
    1377019293864.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
While this isn't exactly giving you the physical feel of using sense, here are a few shots of my droid DNA running a 4.2.2+Sense 5 port from the HTC ONE. It will give you an idea of how it looks in comparison of stock. I can also run a GPE HTC ONE Rom if you would like to see how it is. I'm sure it would run better on the ONE than the DNA, though.

Nah, that's cool. Thank you, though. I played around with a HTC ONE at a ATT store a few times and didn't hate sense. So I think I'll be fine with it.

I case I'm not, I can always flash the GE ROM, but you said I have to unusually and refresh it everyone there's a new version, no?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You would have to reflash the new version of the Rom when or if they update it, or unroot if you wanted to get an OTA that is released to your device from the carrier.

To get rid of NOVA if you don't like it, simply go to settings>apps>downloaded and uninstall nova launcher.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
You would have to reflash the new version of the Rom when or if they update it, or unroot if you wanted to get an OTA that is released to your device from the carrier.

To get rid of NOVA if you don't like it, simply go to settings>apps>downloaded and uninstall nova launcher.

I just downloaded nova launcher on my nexus 4 and was surprised how close to stock android it was. It seemed pretty good. No performance issues or anything. I think nova will definitely be something I'll have in the back of my head.

Honestly, even when using nova, I was anxious that I was doing something that might effect my phones performance. Which is why I'm nervous of doing rooting and flashing.

See, I have issues with anxiety. I constantly stress and ruminate that my electronics are functioning properly. It's mostly with the expensive stuff like phones, tablets, or computers. And I'm worried if I flash and root my phone, I'm going to accidently do something to effect it's performance or damage it.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I came from the nexus 4 to HTC one. Just disable the Carr ier bloatware, install Nova Launcher, and select the stock jellybean icons, and viola you have stock jellybean. I find almost no differences between the two. No rooting required.

Posted via Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded nova launcher on my nexus 4 and was surprised how close to stock android it was. It seemed pretty good. No performance issues or anything. I think nova will definitely be something I'll have in the back of my head.

Honestly, even when using nova, I was anxious that I was doing something that might effect my phones performance. Which is why I'm nervous of doing rooting and flashing.

See, I have issues with anxiety. I constantly stress and ruminate that my electronics are functioning properly. It's mostly with the expensive stuff like phones, tablets, or computers. And I'm worried if I flash and root my phone, I'm going to accidently do something to effect it's performance or damage it.

Using a launcher does nothing other than "cover" your stock launcher, so to say. There is no permanent damage or results of using one. After uninstalled, all remnants of the launcher are gone. Rooting and roming can prove to cause some problems if done incorrectly, yes. But if you follow directions to the t and take your time, there is rarely an issue. Many times when you see someone who has bricked their device, it is because they didn't use the proper software for their device because they didn't take the time to make sure it was for their device AND carrier, or didn't read the directions properly, they skipped a step, used a less than reliable computer or usb cord, or did not do their research before doing it. If you use the cord that comes with the device, have a laptop that will not randomly shut down in the middle of rooting, take the time to make sure the rom you are flashing is for your specific device AND carrier, then the chances of something going wrong are slim. Every once in a while, a download may be corrupt and the flash will go wrong, the rom isn't very stable, or you can get stuck in a bootloop. But if you create a nandroid backup before flashing ANYTHING, you will be fine. It is also in good practice to keep a copy of your nandroid backup in your computer. That way, if you mess up real bad and partition the sd card, you still have a backup and it's as simple as plugging your phone into the computer and using the command to push a recovery and backup to your device. Root browser is also very handy, since you can navigate through all of the files in your device, including the recovery, should you choose to remove some old backups to save memory. Rooting isn't for everyone, but it really isn't as dangerous as many think if you take your time and learn what it is you are doing. Rushing through it will almost always result in bad results. I am by no means an expert, in fact, I only unlocked my bootloader and rooted my device about two or three months ago. Since then, I have flashed numerous roms, and have yet to have an issue. Sometimes a Rom won't work the way I want it to, or a kernel is incompatible with a Rom I want, but like I said. Stay calm and collected, make sure your device is NEVER below 50% when starting a flash, use the proper software and equipment, and keep that copy of a backup and you can get out of almost any mess.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
With launchers the way I understand is they run instead of the stock launcher rather than along with, or on top of, the stock launcher. You won't be running both at the same time. So the performance with Nova could be better, worse or the same as Sense depending on how you have it set up.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
With launchers the way I understand is they run instead of the stock launcher rather than along with, or on top of, the stock launcher. You won't be running both at the same time. So the performance with Nova could be better, worse or the same as Sense depending on how you have it set up.

They actually run simultaneously.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you try Sense 5 and find that you miss stock, you can do the full conversion to a Google Play Edition. Once you are converted you will receive full ota updates just like the Nexus/GPE devices. The initial conversion does require you to unlock your bootloader and change the Security to off on your device though. It sounds like a daunting task but it's really not difficult. If you express interest in this option just let me or someone else who has converted know and we will be more than happy to walk you through the process.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
They actually run simultaneously.

I'm not sure that's true. Everything I've found says that only one will be running at a time unless you somehow force both to run. It's just replacing an app, like replacing the stock messaging app with Handcent. When you send a text tou won't be running both the stock messaging app and Handcent simultaneously, you'll only run the default.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/120251-how-do-launchers-work.html

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Ah man, now I'm back and forth on whether I should get the moto x now. Argh.
I don't think I'd mind not having 1080p screen. I want stock android :( but I also don't want to overpay for something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa