Question about auto-brightness

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Does the auto brightness adjusts itself, depending on what different lightening your in?

Sent from Xsie's sexy HTC One

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Does the auto brightness adjusts itself, depending on what different lightening your in?

That's the idea, yes. I think it uses a sensor on the phone to detect ambient light and adjust accordingly.

FYI -- the auto-brightness feature is NOT a battery saving feature. In fact, it will generally consume more battery than keeping a static level of brightness (assuming that it's not set at a very high level).

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
That's the idea, yes. I think it uses a sensor on the phone to detect ambient light and adjust accordingly.

FYI -- the auto-brightness feature is NOT a battery saving feature. In fact, it will generally consume more battery than keeping a static level of brightness (assuming that it's not set at a very high level).

Thanks! You also answered my next question about battery consumption!

Grant Rosen

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

Is there a way to turn off the sensor-adjustments but keep automatic brightness? Basically I want it to automatically brighten during the day and dim at night, but not adjust based on the lighting I'm in. Just time-based adjustments I guess. On my old phone (HTC Incredible 2) it adjusted very nicely on it's own. On my One the automatic adjustments are very distracting since I find it frequently brightens and dims while I'm reading or playing games.

Also, I'm just curious do you have a source on the battery thing? Or is that just logic/common sense? Lol. If it really does use more battery then I'll just switch to manual brightness adjustments.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've found the auto brightness to be overly aggressive, it works fine during the day but in very dim light it dims the screen way too much. I wish I could set a low threshold.

Sent from my Highly Technically Capable DNA