Why do I keep getting Unfortunately, Mail has stopped when I try to open the stock HTC mail app?

bigmike7801

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, Mail has stopped.

I keep getting the error "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped." when I try opening the stock HTC mail app.

I have gone into the App Info for the mail app and tried to "Clear cache" but it doesn't look like it's doing anything.

I have also gone to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Exchange ActiveSync and unchecked Mail in the account that is using it.

I have also tried rebooting my phone.

Any other tips or advice aside from basically wiping the phone?

Thanks

gmoproA

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Unfortunately, Mail has stopped.

The only thing that is not auto-synching properly for me is my Tasks. Hasnt updated since Nov 2 , 2015. Not sure how to get this to update and havent heard back from Google. I am about to give up on this one. Have tried Force stop ,clear cache, clear data, restart, ... removed and add account. None of it has worked. Not sure what you are talking about with the unchecking thing there. All my synchs work cept for Tasks.

RayGee

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unfortunately, Mail has stopped.

I found that by uninstalling the latest Android System Webview update, the mail app works again.

Regards -----------------------

AVDocDNA

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much! This fixed it for me as well.

Of course I had already disabled the stock HTC Mail program and migrated to K-9 Mail.

droidnotapple

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
We've seen the same errors on a few droids these past few weeks - how do you go about removing that update easily?

The only option I'm seeing will remove ALL updates - and I worry that will break other things (?)

RayGee

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Play Store, selected My apps and games, scrolled to bottom were the recently updated icons are. FInd the Android System WebView app and select uninstall. If it asks for confirmation of uninstalling all updates of the WebView app, I said yes.

I am waiting until they correct the update before I attempt to re-install it.

Regards ----------------------

papadoo

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Go to Google Play.
Search for Android System Webview.
Uninstall it.
Be sure to UNcheck the "auto update" button or it will keep reinstalling itself.

gmoproA

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Get a better mail app. Lots to choose from. Other mail apps have more features and work with no issues. They also pull in email from multiple sources and have night and day settings and cool sound effects if u want them,etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87