HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

glakr

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

I have an almost identical crack in mine I just noticed yesterday. I am super anal about the phone too. Pretty sure it hasn't been hit by anything and never dropped. I think there is an issue with this cover.

firewaterx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

I have an almost identical crack in mine I just noticed yesterday. I am super anal about the phone too. Pretty sure it hasn't been hit by anything and never dropped. I think there is an issue with this cover.

Are you able to get a picture of it by any chance? I am trying to compile a list of people with the same issue that I am finding on different sites/forums.

I don't know if you have seen yet, but it appears to have been an issue with the M7 as well - Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue? - xda-developers.

If you don't mind me asking, which carrier do you have and what are the first 6 letters/numbers of your serial?

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

I've had the exact same issue. See my picture at the below link. I've posted on HTC's Facebook page, and I encourage everyone else to do so. Their support told me they wouldn't repair it without me paying for it, so perhaps if enough of us make it clear they should be making this right at their expense, we can get it done.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw52BCGYd6l-MkZ5RjBqSk1SUEE/edit?usp=sharing

bmc777

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Mine has scratced as well. Slight chipping all over. And lens scratched as well. Been in dot view case since I've owned. Contacted HTC today for warranty

Posted via Android Central App

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting more and more tiny scratches on the lens and I have no clue why. Started out with a few and now there is even one across the actual camera lens which I think is affecting pictures. I looked at my old M7 that I had for a year and it still has no scratches at all. I carry it the same way I did the other One.. confused.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

verminatorno5

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

I pulled my m8 out of my pocket today and it has scratches on the lens (it was fine this morning). i wiped it and it looks like the top coating is coming away. i tried the toothpaste trick which cleared it up a little but i don't understand how its happened.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm disappointed to see that the camera lens is plastic. I also noticed a scratch on mine. I have never had a phone with a plastic camera lens and this is the first. I have never had camera lens scratches on my past devices. For such a premium product it falls short as far as this goes. Glass is much more scratch resistant than plastic. What was htc thinking of?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm disappointed to see that the camera lens is plastic. I also noticed a scratch on mine. I have never had a phone with a plastic camera lens and this is the first. I have never had camera lens scratches on my past devices. For such a premium product it falls short as far as this goes. Glass is much more scratch resistant than plastic. What was htc thinking of?

Are you positive it's plastic? Or are you just assuming based on all the people reporting scratches? Mine has no scratches and is definitely not plastic

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Are you positive it's plastic? Or are you just assuming based on all the people reporting scratches? Mine has no scratches and is definitely not plastic

It's without a doubt plastic. You can tap it with your finger nail and see how different it is from a glass lens. Plus it bends when you put slight pressure on it. My GS4 feels totally different. A glass lens doesn't scratch easily if at all.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

It's without a doubt plastic. You can tap it with your finger nail and see how different it is from a glass lens. Plus it bends when you put slight pressure on it. My GS4 feels totally different. A glass lens doesn't scratch easily if at all.

Yours is different than mine then. When I tap on it I can hear that it's glass and it absolutely does not bend. It gets cool to the touch like glass. It looks nothing like plastic either. The flash cover is definitely plastic though.

bsibaja

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Camera lens cover issue

It could be worse - I woke up this morning and discovered this...
View attachment 113447

It has been in an OtterBox since day one and never dropped or hit. :'(

Good lawd! This is not good!!!
I am so disappointed to see so many people having the same problem!!!
Here is mine! 5 days old! Bought a case at the store and put it on before I even left the store! Only days later and woke up to a BROKEN lens as well...

(How do I add a photo on mobile website?)

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154087467955615&id=556355614&set=o.101063233083&ref=stream

Add your photos and complaints on my FB thread. Maybe we can make enough noise?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Yours is different than mine then. When I tap on it I can hear that it's glass and it absolutely does not bend. It gets cool to the touch like glass. It looks nothing like plastic either. The flash cover is definitely plastic though.

Mine is the same as yours Bowie, most definately not plastic

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

With such an important spot being so weak and prone to scratches I'm thinking of jumping back over the Samsung. Build quality is the thing that brought me to the M8.
The camera already stinks. Scratches and broken covers will make it unusable.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

With such an important spot being so weak and prone to scratches I'm thinking of jumping back over the Samsung. Build quality is the thing that brought me to the M8.
The camera already stinks. Scratches and broken covers will make it unusable.

Same issues on the s5. A lot of people are reporting broken lens covers. Whether it's glass or plastic on the s5, it's still breaking without dropping or damaging it. Just letting you know

bsibaja

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

Same issues on the s5. A lot of people are reporting broken lens covers. Whether it's glass or plastic on the s5, it's still breaking without dropping or damaging it. Just letting you know

Really?!?!? WTF?!?!?!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

Haven't seen those reports.
We(consumers) should put up with such a significant flaw. The company needs to put out a tested product.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Haven't seen those reports.
We(consumers) should put up with such a significant flaw. The company needs to put out a tested product.

It's true and also there have been many reports of the camera not working.