HTC M8 with a case bad?

AnimalMotherASF

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The body gets warn. So I am assuming it acts a as a heatsink. The questions, does a case insulate the phone? This can be bad as the phone is designed to release heat through the body.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The body gets warn. So I am assuming it acts a as a heatsink. The questions, does a case insulate the phone? This can be bad as the phone is designed to release heat through the body.
Even with a case on, the metal body is still gonna absorb the heat away from the internals. So I don't ever worry about overheating and such with a case on.

scotts9219

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Any case will insulate the phone. To what degree (get it...degree?) depends on the case. Most of the heat you feel will be from the battery and the screen. However, most of the time the insulative affect will not harm the phone. If you live in a warmer climate or are a heavy user I would reconsider leaving a case on all the time. I use a case because the phone is hard for me to hold at times and I came close to dropping it a couple of times. I do keep in mind the issue of heat. The most sensitive part of the phone is going to be the battery so if you are really concerned about heat, remove the case before you start to charge the battery.

Just my $.02

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Any case will insulate the phone. To what degree (get it...degree?) depends on the case. Most of the heat you feel will be from the battery and the screen. However, most of the time the insulative affect will not harm the phone. If you live in a warmer climate or are a heavy user I would reconsider leaving a case on all the time. I use a case because the phone is hard for me to hold at times and I came close to dropping it a couple of times. I do keep in mind the issue of heat. The most sensitive part of the phone is going to be the battery so if you are really concerned about heat, remove the case before you start to charge the battery.

Just my $.02
Pretty sure that most of the heat you feel is coming from the CPU when you're using it, not the battery. It'll be mostly from the battery when you're charging it, however.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure that most of the heat you feel is coming from the CPU when you're using it, not the battery. It'll be mostly from the battery when you're charging it, however.

Lithium batteries shouldn't generate much heat during charging, especially when you also consider heat is a leading killer of them. If your phone is getting more than just slightly warm when charging and sitting idle, it could be a sign that the battery is on its way out.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
This depends on the speed of charging. The new super charger for the Oppo Find 7 is like 4.5A output...I wonder if they really have an improved battery or if this is as bad as rapid charging NiMH cells (cuts their cycle endurance to shreds, but hey they're still cheap).

Whether charging or gaming, the thicker and more protective your case the more risky it is to keep on during those activities. Some phones will throttle down, reduce backlight or even unexpectedly shut down if they get too hot. If this happens enough times you can weaken the battery or even crack a solder connection. Some of the older Snapdragon chips had a critical flaw where running hot eventually weakened phone antenna links until you couldn't make a stable call right under a tower.

AnimalMotherASF

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
This depends on the speed of charging. The new super charger for the Oppo Find 7 is like 4.5A output...I wonder if they really have an improved battery or if this is as bad as rapid charging NiMH cells (cuts their cycle endurance to shreds, but hey they're still cheap).

Whether charging or gaming, the thicker and more protective your case the more risky it is to keep on during those activities. Some phones will throttle down, reduce backlight or even unexpectedly shut down if they get too hot. If this happens enough times you can weaken the battery or even crack a solder connection. Some of the older Snapdragon chips had a critical flaw where running hot eventually weakened phone antenna links until you couldn't make a stable call right under a tower.

Very interesting. My phone sometimes gets randomly hot, not sure why though.

I though about drilling holes in the back of the case but that might lead debris getting into the back causing abrasions.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

In general, you can safely charge a Li-ion battery at a rate equal to it's capacity. I.e. the M8's 2600mAh battery can be charged up to 2600mA (2.6A) without worry, not accounting for any additional overhead to power the phone while charging. Considering our OEM charger is rated at 1.5A, it's obvious that both the phone is regulating the current pulled and we're well below that threshold. Two things about fast charging on our phones. Yes it will need a special charger that is designed for it and the phone can detect, but also means the battery must already be built for it. That last part isn't anything too new, as technologies have allowed Li-ion batteries to be charged at 2-3X the capacity rating. Not all of them can, and removable batteries on external chargers should not be charged at a higher rate unless it specifically says so (usually listed as the C rating). Since ours is non-removable but is apparently Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, it's safe to assume the battery can handle it. With higher charge rated, the battery will get warmer than what we normally expect. I wouldn't worry about that, but I WOULD worry about it getting hot on the stock charger if the phone is off or at idle.

I though about drilling holes in the back of the case but that might lead debris getting into the back causing abrasions.

If it's getting hot at random, it's hard to guess why. Could check the battery usage stats for any clues.

As for drilling holes, that probably won't amount to much because there wouldn't be much air flow. Unless your case is just really thick/insulated, maybe.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

I think of skins for abrasions, for cases I assume dust will get in and scratch the finish but at least I have some drop protection. Usually, do not modify a phone case.

In general, you can safely charge a Li-ion battery at a rate equal to it's capacity. I.e. the M8's 2600mAh battery can be charged up to 2600mA (2.6A) without worry, not accounting for any additional overhead to power the phone while charging. Considering our OEM charger is rated at 1.5A, it's obvious that both the phone is regulating the current pulled and we're well below that threshold. Two things about fast charging on our phones. Yes it will need a special charger that is designed for it and the phone can detect, but also means the battery must already be built for it. That last part isn't anything too new, as technologies have allowed Li-ion batteries to be charged at 2-3X the capacity rating. Not all of them can, and removable batteries on external chargers should not be charged at a higher rate unless it specifically says so (usually listed as the C rating). Since ours is non-removable but is apparently Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, it's safe to assume the battery can handle it. With higher charge rated, the battery will get warmer than what we normally expect. I wouldn't worry about that, but I WOULD worry about it getting hot on the stock charger if the phone is off or at idle.

Yeah it gets complicated fast. My phone has a 1.9A adapter but caps out well below that. My laptop has a 120w adapter and charges at 40w, I can still charge it from 10% in 1.5hrs while playing a video game on my overclock profile. My earbud has a 200mA adapter and suggests not using a USB port to avoid weakening the battery.

All of the above barely get warm except obviously the laptop if I game on it at the same time. I have not seen items like the Find 7 quick charger addressed in terms of hull temperature, but my rule of thumb is checking the temp on a new device about 15-20min after plugging it in with a very low charge. Very warm or hot in case, remove case. Very warm or hot without case, NEVER charge in a case or bag.

I recently found my Moga's easel and started charging devices on it to improve cooling. And a six inch phone doesn't look the slightest bit unnatural it.