HTC One M8 vs Droid Turbo

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi - my contract is up in a couple weeks and I'm looking to upgrade my Droid RMHD. I have narrowed down the choices to the M8 and the Droid Turbo. I was all set to pull the trigger on the Turbo based on amazing specs but there are some concerning issues being reported on the Turbo forums like poor call volume, poor wifi signal, doesn't currently do voice & data (until VoLTE update), poor 4g signal, the nylon backing on the phone fraying and coming loose and so forth. So I started looking at other phones and came upon the M8. It looks like a great phone. I had an HTC phone before my RMHD (original Droid Incredible) and loved it so I am somewhat familiar with HTC and Sense.

One thing I love about the Droid phones is the huge battery (although it adds a lot of weight to the phones). How is the battery life on the M8? I am a moderate user, no facebook or twitter, mostly email, web browsing, music streaming and so forth. Will it get me through a day?
The Boomsound speakers on the M8 are a definite plus. Plus M8 has SD card slot, none on the Turbo. And M8 has IR blaster which Turbo lacks.
I like that M8 has the old fashioned LED notification. The new Moto phones have "active notifications" that makes the entire phone screen pulse every minute or so, don't think I want that. And I don't need to wave my hand over the phone or any of that other nonsense. To me all of that stuff is overkill
How is the size of the M8? It looks very long. I will go into Verizon store and play with it but it seems like the phone is very large considering it is only a 5" screen. I guess the speakers take a lot of space.
Camera is pretty much a push for me since I don't use it much, either phone will have a better camera than my RMHD and be more than adequate.
I really like the looks of the M8 and the build quality seems good, like the aluminum frame. Turbo is not exactly a looker. Plus Turbo is over half an ounce heavier because of the big battery. M8 only weighs slightly more than the RMHD.

Anyone familiar with both phones and can weigh in? Right now I'm leaning towards M8, just wondering if there are any nits or issues I'm missing that should prevent me from getting it.

Oh yeah, one other hesitation is that the M8 has been out since March, is there any talk of when M9 is coming out? Might it be worth waiting?

First world problems.... :)

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
From what I've read, seems you're more interested in the M8. I currently own one, I'm not familiar w the Turbo. From your usage, you should have no problem getting a full days use. The phone is incredibly fast & very very rare lag to none what's so ever. The only complaint u may hear is the camera. I take great pictures w this phone. I'd say go to your carrier store & test em both out. There are no rumors of a M9. My only complaint of this phone is I wish it were a little wider

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the Turbo specs, but I lost interest as soon as I saw it had an AMOLED screen. You'd think by now they'd be able to make an AMOLED screen that can display a true white and not what I feel is green tinted junk.

I've been using the M8 for several months and very pleased with performance all around. I don't mind the phone vs screen size considering the speaker placement. I'd call that a more than fair trade compared to a single rear facing speaker like most phones have. I game on it all the time and even the 3D stuff looks and plays fantastic.

Btw, the M8 is also Quick Charge 2.0 capable like the Turbo. The only downfall is the stock charger isn't. You'll have to buy a QC2.0 charger separate. Motorola of course has one, as well as some aftermarket brands now carry them. HTC should release theirs soon too.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE my M8, but quite honestly, it is already old in the world of smartphones. I would probably buy a newer phone, or AT LEAST get the EYE version which as the better camera.

R

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The battery has been hit or miss on the M8. The battery life got pretty bad with 4.4.3 where it wouldn't last the entire day and needing a charge at work. 4.4.4 improved this where it can last over 16 hours with about 4hrs screen on time without needing a charge, but it doesn't last the whole day as in 24 hours and doesn't come near my MaxxHD. My gf has the M8 and comparing it to my MaxxHD, the voice call quality is definitely not what I'm used to. Motorola still has the best call quality and volume. The M8 is not bad, definitely better than my gf's 5S, but not up to Motorola standards. I'm surprised to hear the negativity regarding the turbo, granted I haven't been on that forum thread.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The battery has been hit or miss on the M8. The battery life got pretty bad with 4.4.3 where it wouldn't last the entire day and needing a charge at work. 4.4.4 improved this where it can last over 16 hours with about 4hrs screen on time without needing a charge, but it doesn't last the whole day as in 24 hours and doesn't come near my MaxxHD. My gf has the M8 and comparing it to my MaxxHD, the voice call quality is definitely not what I'm used to. Motorola still has the best call quality and volume. The M8 is not bad, definitely better than my gf's 5S, but not up to Motorola standards. I'm surprised to hear the negativity regarding the turbo, granted I haven't been on that forum thread.

Yep...Moto has been known for having the best radios, call quality etc. My RMHD has been solid in these areas. However on the Turbo forum there are lots of reports of weak wifi signal, poor call volume, the nylon backing on the 64g version fraying and peeling off, uneven screen colors and so forth. Granted many people only post if they have problems so it may only be a small number that have issues. But enough to cause concern. My worry is that in their attempt to gain more market share Moto started concentrating on adding gimmicks like waving your hand over the phone and shaking the camera and all the other bells & whistles, and lost some focus on overall quality. We'll see. I might just hold on to my RMHD for a few more months and wait to see what the One M9 looks like.

reddingb

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I guess the eye is in the beholder. this phone is beautiful, the firm ballistic feel cannot be beat, you will definitely have to use a case for the m8 which covers up a beautiful phone due to it being so slippery, I personally don't like to cover up phones, you will not have to do that for the turbo, why would you want to. so the weight of the two really is about the same. M8 is definitely too narrow and two tall, the speakers don't make it worth it