Where is the backup?

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I had a htc m8 and version 3.1.24.5 of htc sync manager, a few days ago i lost my phone, luckily, or so i thought i backed up the whole phone earlier that day, but i cant find where the backup could be anywhere on my laptop.

I remember the sync program saying it had successfully backed up a list of about 10 things including message, pictures contacts etc which took about 20 minutes.. But i just cant find anywhere.

I don't remember opening an account and backing up online, so where could it be?

I am going to buy a new phone soon, and i would like to have my backup on the new phone, but im thinking its gone forever.

Thanks

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you by any chance have the HTC Backup running on the phone?

This would of been an auto back up. On mine (Sprint) it autobackups daily to my Google Drive.

What carrier did you have? I know Verizon disabled the feature on their M8.

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, i have already checked dropbox and google drive, there is nothing resembling a backup in either one.

For something that takes 20 minutes (i also remember it was stuck on 44% for ages) it must be backing my phones details up somewhere surely.

Any more ideas please?

Ron Khan

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm also looking for an answer to this. My m7 backs up every day to Google drive, however I don't see it.

Posted by my HTC em seven

shadwellal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this helps but I also have my m8 backing up daily to Google Drive and can't see the back up file in Google Drive but when I got a replacement for faulty handset last week everything restored perfectly to the new handset. Just put my HTC account details in to the new handset, as well as my Gmail settings and absolutely everything transferred over - apps, email, sms, WiFi passwords, everything. I suspect that the backup file is hidden in Google Drive.

Posted via the Android Central App

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine backs up everyday to Dropbox. I can open up my Dropbox folder, select Apps, HTC, and see backup files. I originally set this up using the HTC Backup files from my HTC Evo 4G LTE and it worked great. All of my pictures and files are on my SD card and backed up to my computer. I think the OP was getting confused between HTC Back up and HTC Sync. I've never liked HTC Sync and it's been a long time since I've had it on my computer, but I'm guessing theres a restore function (once the new HTC phone is connected via USB). It looks like HTC puts a file in My Documents with folders for Gallery and Music.....

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

I have scoured dropbox and google drive neither of which hold a backup, there is a folder on my laptop names HTC, but it contains 4 files and is 400kb in size. Google play holds all in the info about my installed apps and a device manager, but nothing else.

I'm guessing that when i was syncing the phone i thought i was transferring the contents of the phone to a backup on the laptop, maybe what i was doing was syncing the contents of my laptop to my phone?

Anyway, i need to buy a new phone and i cant decide whether to get another HTC M8 or an iphone 6, if i could be certain all my HTC info is backed up i would get another android, but its looking like i have lost everything.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

I have scoured dropbox and google drive neither of which hold a backup, there is a folder on my laptop names HTC, but it contains 4 files and is 400kb in size. Google play holds all in the info about my installed apps and a device manager, but nothing else.

I'm guessing that when i was syncing the phone i thought i was transferring the contents of the phone to a backup on the laptop, maybe what i was doing was syncing the contents of my laptop to my phone?

Anyway, i need to buy a new phone and i cant decide whether to get another HTC M8 or an iphone 6, if i could be certain all my HTC info is backed up i would get another android, but its looking like i have lost everything.
You have to enable HTC Back up in Settings. It does not back up photos and documents. You have to do that using your computer and USB cable. Save everything to your SD card and then copy it to a folder on your computer. Don't rely on HTC Manager. You're probably right when you say you're stuff is probably gone.You can buy an Iphone 6 and it will back up stuff to iCloud and or iTunes but you will have to actually go in and check those options too. Either way, you will have to set up a backup option, from the start, understand what you are choosing, and it's features and limitations, or you will be in the same situation again some day.....

shadwellal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I have just done a backup to try and find out more for you. The filename is HTC One_M8. It is stored in C:\users\username\AppData\Local\HTC media hub\ HSM backup. . Good luck!

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much for doing that, i do not have a file on my laptop named AppData though.

I have looked everywhere else, im pretty sure its gone, unless it magically appears if i buy another m8 lol.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
If you want to be able to backup everything, then I would suggest downloading and installing the app Helium...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

If you are Rooted, then you can backup everything on your phone to a Cloud storage account. If you are not Rooted, then you can still backup everything, but you will need to download Helium to your computer, and then sync your phone with your computer.

shadwellal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The AppData file is hidden by default in Windows. It will be there. Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, (you may then need to click Appearance and Personalization), and then clicking Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Then using windows explorer navigate to C:\users\username\AppData\Local\HTC media hub\ HSM backup.

Dawn B

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this helps but I also have my m8 backing up daily to Google Drive and can't see the back up file in Google Drive but when I got a replacement for faulty handset last week everything restored perfectly to the new handset. Just put my HTC account details in to the new handset, as well as my Gmail settings and absolutely everything transferred over - apps, email, sms, WiFi passwords, everything. I suspect that the backup file is hidden in Google Drive.

I so hope this works on my new G3. Idk where my backups are either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non