Why is my HTC One M8 front camera OK but rear the camera is hazy and blurry?

Pallab010176

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
HTC One M8 front cam is OK but rear cam is hazy and blurry.

Problem : Picture taken with rear camera is Hazy and Blurry. Front camera is OK.
Problem Started : After December 20, 2014
Model : HTC One M8
Software Number : 3.28.709.6 (updated recently)

Can anyone help me in this regard, please?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 front cam is OK but rear cam is hazy and blurry.

Look very closely in bright light, at an angle, at the rear camera lens. Is it scratched? "Greasy"-looking? Does it have a rainbow effect (like a soap bubble) in sunlight?

Use a lens tissue, to very carefully to clean the lens. (Unless it's scratched - there's nothing you can do to fix that, you have to replace the camera module.)

Pallab010176

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your kind support. But I did not find any Hardware fault for this problem. There is no scratch or soap bubble on the lens. Specially a hollow effect appears around any shiny objects (as showing in your Icon) other objects became hazy. An image can make it more clear.

Attachments

• Picture by HTC One M8 with Split Option.jpg
    Picture by HTC One M8 with Split Option.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Look at the camera lens glass under a (white) fluorescent light, if you see a green light reflection then it means the glass still has the so called protection layer, which for some reasons can be easily scratched on the M8, once that happen it highly and negatively effect your photos, in that case you can either use your warranty to request for a replacement device (which eventually will end up with the same problem) or you can swipe clean that layer to be able to have crisp photos.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Pallab010176

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the advise. In that case you are sure that it is not a software issue, right?
But, so far I remember this problem started after I updated the HTC software to number 3.28.709.6 from it's earlier version !!!

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the advise. In that case you are sure that it is not a software issue, right?
But, so far I remember this problem started after I updated the HTC software to number 3.28.709.6 from it's earlier version !!!
A software problem can cause the camera not to work at all, or can cause you not being able to save any photo you take, that kind of problems are related to the software.

But your problem seems more related to the hardware.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

This is how my M8 rear camera glass looks like after clearing the coating from the center. After I did that I started having crystal clear photos.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420119485196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420119485196.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 72

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Problem : Picture taken with rear camera is Hazy and Blurry. Front camera is OK.
Problem Started : After December 20, 2014
Model : HTC One M8
Software Number : 3.28.709.6 (updated recently)

Can anyone help me in this regard, please?

This has been a known issue for a long time and easily fixed by cleaning off the coating. Here is the mega thread on the topic. Go to the last pages to find the best way to clean this off.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/380522-htc-one-m8-camera-lens-issue.html

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

This is how my M8 rear camera glass looks like after clearing the coating from the center. After I did that I started having crystal clear photos.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Exactly how mine looks now. I spent some time, used toothpaste and wax and went to town on it. It eventually cleared up and looked like a new piece of glass. It has that same sorta haze on the outer edge, but it causes no issues with the camera itself.

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

I used a q-tip and a tad of rubbing alcohol to get mine cleared up back to out of the box clarity.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Hi,
How is your problem recovering?
What did you do?

Thanks
It's been a common problem covered by a lot of threads here. It's a film that needs to gently rubbed off with something soft, helped by a little rubbing alcohol, or something not too abrasive. Works well..

Peter Billionaire

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Just want to confirm that a little bit of toothpaste rubbed gently on the lense cover was the solution. There were visible tiny scratches on the lense cover. (Although I have always been careful in handling it.) I rubbed in the toothpaste with my little finger. Then wiped it off with a damp soft towel. My pictures were blurry; now they are sharp again. HTC should not have let this happen.

Last edited:

Edwin Ortiz1

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem and resolved it by pulling out the Windex and a napkin. After applying a small amount of Windex to a napkin, I gently scrubbed the top of the lens and slowly the film residue started fading away. The camera is taking great pictures once again. Good luck!

Udbhav Agarwal

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Same problem occured with me with my htc 826 front camera. Please wipe the coating off using a toothpaste and a cloth. The coating gets bad and so the problem occurs. Its very common problem . TC :)

bhushan Parkar

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Posts1 Posts
Hi Udbhav,
Just wondering will applying toothpaste with finger to the front camera lens cover resolve the issue for HTC 826. If so which toothpaste did you apply. (coz some paste's are very abbrassive).

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Posts1 Posts
Hi Udbhav,
Just wondering will applying toothpaste with finger to the front camera lens cover resolve the issue for HTC 826. If so which toothpaste did you apply. (coz some paste's are very abbrassive).

It worked for me when I brushed some toothpaste with a q-tip on the camera lenses for a minute or so. I used just a standard Colgate tube for the actual paste, but my photos and video came out looking clear again.