Why doesn't screen mirroring work since Lollipop update?

gravytrain7

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Screen Mirroring No Longer Works Since Lollipop Update

I only recently discovered this feature having bought a screen mirroring capable tv at christmas.

Wonderful bit of technology that worked seamlessly .... until i took the Lollipop update (wish i hadn;'t)

Now my phone will not connect to tv - it will find it (slowly) but never connects it just says "unable to connect".

Before update it would connect in a couple of seconds everytime.

Any solution workaround to this?

Really frustraed with Lollipop - notifcation issues, lock screen issues and now i cannot use a feature at all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen Mirroring No Longer Works Since Lollipop Update

The only guaranteed pairing is a Samsung phone and a Samsung Smart TV. Anything else is catch-as-catch-can. Some phones mirror to some TVs, some other combinations don't work. You could try Chromecast - it works with any TV with an HDMI input. It may work on the M8 (it works on the M7), so buy it at a store that gives you a few days to return it if it doesn't work on your phone (both Walmart and Best Buy, in the US, will).

Install Chromecast. The directions are at Chromecast mirroring. Aside from the up to half an hour of updating the device will do once it's connected and running the first time, mirroring is running the app, pressing the menu and pressing the TV you want to mirror to. Simple. $35 if it's not on sale.

gravytrain7

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

My issue is that it worked fine before the lollipop update now it does not work at all.

MiniMinx

May 20, 2015
Visit site

I've been having the exact same issue, up until the last update screen mirroring worked perfectly, then after the update it now just says 'connecting' then 'unable to connect' yet my partners phone will still connect within seconds. After many calls to Samsung it turn out that the update has knocked this feature out on many phones and they have as yet not found a work around. It's nothing to do with which make of TV you are using at all, it's a problem Samsung's end as confirmed by their own techs.

shots_alot

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem with my Samsung Note 4 using a Samsung Allshare Cast dongle and screen mirroring. Rather than wait for Samsung to figure out and fix the problem then wait for my provider to push it out of their lab, I purchased a direct connect at Amazon for $49.99. Samsung makes a dongle which is a MHL 3.0 micro usb to HDMI. You'll get the 1080p HD picture and 7.1 sound. It connects from your cell phone to your HD TV. You have to make sure the MHL is 3.0, the 2.0 is much cheaper but won't work with a Note 4 or other phones requiring MHL 3.0

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem with my Samsung Note 4 using a Samsung Allshare Cast dongle and screen mirroring. Rather than wait for Samsung to figure out and fix the problem then wait for my provider to push it out of their lab, I purchased a direct connect at Amazon for $49.99. Samsung makes a dongle which is a MHL 3.0 micro usb to HDMI. You'll get the 1080p HD picture and 7.1 sound. It connects from your cell phone to your HD TV. You have to make sure the MHL is 3.0, the 2.0 is much cheaper but won't work with a Note 4 or other phones requiring MHL 3.0

So I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 recently updated to Lollipop 5.0.1 and had the issue of my screen mirroring not functioning. I finally figured out how to work around the issue...(as I love KODI Tv and stream everything) I have a Samsung Un55h6350 Smart TV and never had any problems with 4.4.2, then with lollipop my phone recognized the TV but would not connect, just stayed stayed at the "connecting" screen. I found this odd because I could still use wifi direct to play stored media. So after several frustrating attempts when my phone "scanned and recognized the TV I long pressed on "[TV] Samsung LED55" , rather than just tapping the option. When I did this I was given an option to "connect with pin" on my phone. So I chose that option and a pin number appeared on my TV screen simultaneously on my phone there was an input line to type it in. Then BOOM! like magic, screen mirroring was a go. It's been up and running just fine without having to enter the "pin" again. I have tested and retested to make sure it stuck and I'm happy to report all is well. I hope this helps anyone else who's been pulling their hair out trying to figure this out and save people from spending unnecessary money.

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

So I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 recently updated to Lollipop 5.0.1 and had the issue of my screen mirroring not functioning. I finally figured out how to work around the issue...(as I love KODI Tv and stream everything) I have a Samsung Un55h6350 Smart TV and never had any problems with 4.4.2, then with lollipop my phone recognized the TV but would not connect, just stayed stayed at the "connecting" screen. I found this odd because I could still use wifi direct to play stored media. So after several frustrating attempts when my phone "scanned and recognized the TV I long pressed on "[TV] Samsung LED55" , rather than just tapping the option. When I did this I was given an option to "connect with pin" on my phone. So I chose that option and a pin number appeared on my TV screen simultaneously on my phone there was an input line to type it in. Then BOOM! like magic, screen mirroring was a go. It's been up and running just fine without having to enter the "pin" again. I have tested and retested to make sure it stuck and I'm happy to report all is well. I hope this helps anyone else who's been pulling their hair out trying to figure this out and save people from spending unnecessary money.

jw153500

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

I have the same tv, and I have a Galaxy S5. They worked fine together before (but my Note 10.1 2014 edition failed to connect to either of my Samsung TVs) but now my phone won't connect to either TV. I have not found the PIN option as you stated but I will try again this evening when I get home. It says it is connecting, and the TV shows it is connecting, but it never does.

Rick Pappas

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

I'm having mirroring problems where I did not before the Lollipop update too. My issue is a little different, but since it happened with the update I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the cause is the same. I'm connecting a Tab 10.5 (SMT800) to a Samsung Smart TV and have had no problems prior to the update. Now, it will mirror, but only for a brief time...say 10 minutes. Then, it drops out of mirroring, the tablet reboots and after reboot Wi-Fi is turned off. BTW, your post is Feb. 20...mine is 7-7 after the latest patch. No resolution yet.

Sneachta

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

Hi rick. I'm having the exact same problem. My samsung tablet s was having charging problems prior to this but screen mirroring was working perfectly. I dropped it in to get fixed and updated to lollipop. Ever since I got it back the screen mirroring keeps crashing after about 20 minutes, tablet shuts down and WiFi is off. I have a samsung smart tv too. I updated the software on the TV too.....but alas no good. Are there any suggestions.? It's such a shame cos I love streaming stuff from my Samsung tablet onto my Samsung tv.

Tony Hodgkin

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site

Same problem after update to lollipop Galaxy tab will not connect by screen mirroring.Use to work on kit kat.
Anybody got a solution for this problem
Lollipop not the best update for android

Posted via the Android Central App

jason9910

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Same issues here. Samsung Tab S 8.4 and Samsung UN55D6500. Other threads have said factory reset will work, although that seems extreme. I do not have a PIN feature and my TV does not have a menu item titled Screen Mirroring. Has there been any progress on this?

Suresh Kelley

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site

Hi rick. I'm having the exact same problem. My samsung tablet s was having charging problems prior to this but screen mirroring was working perfectly. I dropped it in to get fixed and updated to lollipop. Ever since I got it back the screen mirroring keeps crashing after about 20 minutes, tablet shuts down and WiFi is off. I have a samsung smart tv too. I updated the software on the TV too.....but alas no good. Are there any suggestions.? It's such a shame cos I love streaming stuff from my Samsung tablet onto my Samsung tv.

cav719

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has a Screen Mirroring Patch out. Open Google Play and search "Screen mirroring" you should find a patch that hopefully fixes the update problem. You have to open it after you install. You can also try "Samsung Smart View".

If none if those are a working option try wiping the cache partition. Often in an update the cache partition gets muddled. Doing a wipe does not affect any of your files or settings.

To do a cache wipe:
1. Shutoff phone
2. Hold Volume Up, Home and Power Button until Recovery Options come up.
3. Volume Down to "Wipe cache partition" and quick press power to select. It will only take seconds to wipe the cache. After it's done it should move back up to "Reboot"
4. Quick press power to select the reboot option.

Last edited:

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I too have had the same problems where my Samsung phone used to connect within seconds to my Samsung AllShare Cast Dongle, but not anymore since I upgraded to Lollipop!! I tried the "pin" option mentioned earlier in this post, but even entering the on screen pin number didn't help. So then, I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with Samsung tech support yesterday (until those idiots just left me on hold for the last 35 minutes) and they still have no resolution for this problem. In fact, they sort of act like it's no big deal that this doesn't work and like it can be fixed with simply updating the mirroring software. But since I spent good money on my phone and dongle, it IS a big deal, and it is NOT possible to simply update the mirroring software since it seems to be completely incompatible with my device now after Lollipop. I can't even find any "AllShare" software in the Google Playstore anymore, and even when searching around the web and finding it, it won't even install anymore on my phone since Lollipop.

This needs to be resolved and taken seriously by Samsung, and my suggestion is for all of you to call and flood their phone lines with this issue and make them create case numbers for you that hopefully they will have to eventually resolve in order to close the cases.

Call Samsung tech support at 1-888-987-4357 ASAP and demand a fix for this since it was their Lollipop update that broke Screen Mirroring!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Julia Richardson

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer