Cache wipe for Marshmallow 6.0?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi I got OTA update for Marshmallow 6.0 and tried to use the cache wipe procedure but it simply reboots at a black screen with phone with red triangle and exclamation mark (please see picture below).

So I'm guessing HTC changed the cache wipe key sequence that used too work for lollipop because it's not working no more...has anybody had any luck and figured out the key sequence for cache wiping on marshmallow, appreciate any help on this thanks!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1451847827162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451847827162.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 112

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
OK I got it to work, after holding power and volume down and after selecting recovery you have to hold down volume up and give a quick tap (NOT HOLDING DOWN) to the power button to get to cache wipe options!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
OK I got it to work, after holding power and volume down and after selecting recovery you have to hold down volume up and give a quick tap (NOT HOLDING DOWN) to the power button to get to cache wipe options!

Thanks for the tip, it will be helpful for other members with a similar issue.

Jeffrey Baines

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm having this problem as well. After choosing recovery, it shows the same image (a phone with a red triangle & exclamation point on it's screen) as you (the OP) described. This started happening right after I received the OTA update for marshmallow (v6.0) & Sense 7. Before the update, it rebooted straight to the recovery mode after being chosen in the boot menu. I tried what you said, bit it didn't work for me. Is it a timing issue as to when the new button sequence has to be done after choosing recovery mode? Do they need to be pushed BEFORE that image comes up, or after? I've tried both ways, but maybe my timing is just a little off. I just would like to have some clarification on when exactly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this problem as well. After choosing recovery, it shows the same image (a phone with a red triangle & exclamation point on it's screen) as you (the OP) described. This started happening right after I received the OTA update for marshmallow (v6.0) & Sense 7. Before the update, it rebooted straight to the recovery mode after being chosen in the boot menu. I tried what you said, bit it didn't work for me. Is it a timing issue as to when the new button sequence has to be done after choosing recovery mode? Do they need to be pushed BEFORE that image comes up, or after? I've tried both ways, but maybe my timing is just a little off. I just would like to have some clarification on when exactly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

I would try again, but be as quick as possible. The quick tap is probably exactly that...very quick.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you continue to hold the volume up button until it enters the options or do you release it after the quick tap? I can't seem to get it to work either way, just the red triangle and eventually boots up.

Last edited:

M0ker

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Get into bootloader
Power off phone
Press and hold Vol down , press power button until you seebootloader (3 happy androids on skateboards at bottom of page). Release vol down.
Open Recovery
Select Recovery by using vol down, press Power to select.
Wait. This takes a while.
You will now see a screen with a picture of a phone with a red exclamation mark on it. Press in power button, keep it pressed, and press volume up button shortly (do not keep it pressed). Release power button.
You will now see a menu with yellow text on-top of it.
Select Wipe Cache partition with vol down. Press Power to select. Now it wipes the cache partition. Done!
It should now have marked Reboot system now. Press Power to select. Phone will now reboot to normal mode.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Get into bootloader
Power off phone
Press and hold Vol down , press power button until you seebootloader (3 happy androids on skateboards at bottom of page). Release vol down.
Open Recovery
You will now see a screen with a picture of a phone with a red exclamation mark on it. Press in power button, keep it pressed, and press volume up button shortly (do not keep it pressed). Release power button.
Select Wipe Cache partition with vol down. Press Power to select. Now it wipes the cache partition. Done!
It should now have marked Reboot system now. Press Power to select. Phone will now reboot to normal mode.
Sometimes I hold power and quick press to vol up, sometimes other way around and sometimes quick tap together works...I do button mash of all three and I get there in the end...maybe someone can make a YouTube video that would be nice.. I wish HTC hasn't made this timing sequence so tricky...

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Get into bootloader
Power off phone
Open Recovery

Thanks, that worked and was easy. Marshmallow sure made the phone quick again, I like it.

JIGAR PUROHIT

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
hi,

I have already done what you have suggested.
But after wiping out the cache partition my phone is not turning on.
I have already did it twice but phone keeps restarting and not responding at all.
It is also showing me an error saying "Google Play Services has Stopped Working"

Its very frustating that I am not able to use my phone.
can you please help me for fixing this issue??

WoofboyX

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
You are my new hero. Been having an issue with bluetooth since i went to Marshmallow and every guide recommended cache wipe but it was never working. That did the job. Now we will see if bt works any better. :)

bengben

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
when I download the htc support ROM its does it and then I get to a point "License agreement, press yes I agree and click next and nothing happens after that? my phone I bought on ebay from Hong Kong

Tob MushroomHead

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Get into bootloader
Power off phone
Open Recovery

It works for me, Thanks for help me easier.