Stuck on com.android.systemui error, phone unresponsive (HTC M8), what can I do?

lo11o

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Stuck on "com.android.systemui" error, phone unresponsive (HTC M8)

Hello, I've had my HTC One M8 for almost 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. Phone is stock (not branded), android is stock (never flashed, no custom roms) and set on automatic updates.

At some point today while the phone was on standby I noticed the screen started flashing on and off and it seemed like it was performing some kind of update, but it was taking an unusually long time.
Eventually, after showing a dialog screen saying something about optimizing applications, it seemed to reboot but since then I constantly get the aforementioned error as soon as the home screen appears, and as soon as I click either option (send report to HTC or not) the screen goes black and unresponsive.

So far, after some forum research, I've tried rebooting in safe mode and clearing cache partition via recovery mode, but to no avail. I know there's always the possibility of just wiping the phone clean with a factory reset but I'd like to avoid that if possible, or at least find a way to access any personal data I have on the internal storage and back it up before doing so.

I know my way around computers usually but now I'm out of ideas, please help.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stuck on "com.android.systemui" error, phone unresponsive (HTC M8)

Hello, I've had my HTC One M8 for almost 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. Phone is stock (not branded), android is stock (never flashed, no custom roms) and set on automatic updates.

At some point today while the phone was on standby I noticed the screen started flashing on and off and it seemed like it was performing some kind of update, but it was taking an unusually long time.
Eventually, after showing a dialog screen saying something about optimizing applications, it seemed to reboot but since then I constantly get the aforementioned error as soon as the home screen appears, and as soon as I click either option (send report to HTC or not) the screen goes black and unresponsive.

So far, after some forum research, I've tried rebooting in safe mode and clearing cache partition via recovery mode, but to no avail. I know there's always the possibility of just wiping the phone clean with a factory reset but I'd like to avoid that if possible, or at least find a way to access any personal data I have on the internal storage and back it up before doing so.

I know my way around computers usually but now I'm out of ideas, please help.

Welcome to Android Central!

You can try plugging in to a computer to see if it will let you get to your storage. Other than that you might have to do a factory reset.