I've attempted to download/install the Marshmallow update multiple times. Each attempt results in the same error message and failure to install. It's the same issue that multiple people have posted about on this site and others. There is plenty of space on my phone, so that's definitely not a reason for the above. Does anyone out there have information or a possible fix? Thanks in advance for your help!
    05-12-2016 01:22 PM
    Unless the phone is rooted (rooted phones are dangerous to update, so the update won't), bring it to an AT&T Device Support Center and ask them to flash the update.
    05-12-2016 02:19 PM
    Unless the phone is rooted (rooted phones are dangerous to update, so the update won't), bring it to an AT&T Device Support Center and ask them to flash the update.
    Thanks so much for the advice! My phone is completely stock, so no issues with rooting. Currently walking through the process with AT&T's online customer service. To their credit they've been very helpful thus far, but good to know I have your suggestion as well.
    05-12-2016 02:36 PM
    Thanks so much for the advice! My phone is completely stock, so no issues with rooting. Currently walking through the process with AT&T's online customer service. To their credit they've been very helpful thus far, but good to know I have your suggestion as well.
    Of course the update worked perfectly when I was on with AT&T customer service, LOL! The rep said so many people tried to download the update this morning that it created some OTA glitches. You'd think they would have planned for that but whatever, I finally have the damn update. And so far it looks and runs great
    05-12-2016 04:06 PM
    AT&T costs a bit more, but one experience like that makes it worth it. To talk to people who actually know what they're talking about ...

Glad you got it working.
    ajacobs79 likes this.
    05-12-2016 04:48 PM
    I have been getting that error for 3 days and I'm extremely frustrated. What did they suggest for a fix?
    05-14-2016 03:18 PM
    Posted this in another similar thread, and thought it would be useful here. I just got around this problem with my wife's M8. She only had 4 Gb free, so I moved all her photos and videos to the card, which gave her 15 Gb free in phone storage. Then I booted to recovery mode (hold the down volume and power button), and I wiped the cache partition. After that, I rebooted, re-downloaded the update, and installed.

What I think is happening, is that after the download completes, the zip file is unpacked, and if there's not enough free space, some files don't get unpacked properly or unpacked at all. I don't know how much free space is required, I just know 4 gigs did not work several times, but 15 gigs of free space worked the first time. I would assume 11 gigs would work fine, but that's just an assumption. Hope this helps.
    05-15-2016 01:09 AM
    I have been getting that error for 3 days and I'm extremely frustrated. What did they suggest for a fix?
    I utilized AT&T's online chat-based customer service option. The rep stayed on with me for a long time making sure everything progressed as it should. For whatever reason, everything worked perfectly on my third attempt...the first two were prior to my contacting AT&T. The rep didn't actually have to fix anything on my device. She just said so many people attempted to download the update that first morning, and as a result the OTA was affected.

That said, I've seen several people post in other threads that available space was their culprit. I'd recommend moving as much to your SD card as possible.
    05-16-2016 01:47 PM