How to root the HTC One S (Windows)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
[WARN]READ THIS.
When you root, or attempt to root your phone, you are running the risk of screwing it all up. If that happens, it's your own fault. Be aware of what you're doing, and what damage it can cause. And for the love of all things holy read this whole thread and understand before you get started![/WARN]

Step One -- Unlock the bootloader via HTC Dev www.HTCdev.com/bootloader

Step Two -- Attached to this post is a zip file. Unzip it. Copy the whole OneRoot folder to your C drive. Copy the zip file named CWM-SuperSU-v0.89.zip to the internal storage on your One S. Don't put it inside any folder.

Step Three -- Power off your phone. Hold the volume down key and reboot to the bootloader. Use the volume keys to highlight FASTBOOT, then power to select it.

Step Four -- Open the command prompt on your computer. Type these commands, in order:
Code:
cd C:\OneRoot
fastboot devices
You should see the serial number of your phone in the command window. If you do not, you don't have the driver installed correctly and you'll have to fix that. If you do, continue:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-ville.img

Step Five -- unplug your phone from the computer. Use the volume keys to highlight BOOTLOADER then power to select it. The do the same for RECOVERY. Your phone will soft reboot, you'll see a warning from HTC about not distributing software, then you'll boot into CWM recovery. At this point, you can close the command window.

Step Six -- Use the CWM menu and back up your stock system. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP

Step Seven -- Use CWM to flash the CWM-SuperSU-v0.89.zip file you copied over in step two. Reboot.

Step Eight -- Go to the Market and download and install a BusyBox Installer. I use this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=stericson.busybox&token=MnJto2Lu

Discuss, ask questions, enjoy your rooted One S.

Credit to Koush for CWM recovery
Credit to ChainFire for SuperSU

Reactions: alc2077

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've tried searching for an answer but not finding any - have been trying to log into htcdev for weeks now and keep getting this message

"Your login information is incorrect.

The existing username and/or password you submitted are not valid"

I have verified that I am using the correct username. Have had new passwords sent to me a few times and it still gives me this message. This has been happening on Chrome and Firefox. Dunno what to do, I wanted to unlock my G2, and now my One S and can't! Sent a message to the htcdev contact link, and nothing. Any ideas?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ill Eventually Root the One S (always do) but for now im enjoying it, plus i want to see if HTC steps up and sends out updates that actually address the issues. If not... Ill be right back to this post.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a quick question. Thinking of rooting the phone to get rid of all the bloatware that TMobile has put on this bad boy (they went a little crazy) So if I root without flashing any new ROMs or anything like that would I still get updates from TMobile?

ttw626

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU man I been trying to root my one s but couldent cuz of t mobile s update to 1.84 but using ur method no prob titanium backup running smoothly on my one s and no more t mobile apps
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Helen Katon

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for the guide. A comment and a question: The SuperSU is now v0.92, and I now get the "No signal, limited service, emergency calls only" popup every time the phone starts. It's annoying. Also my phone tells me there are no updates when the factory version is obviously outdated.

felix.t.kat

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
So... Big question, I know that the One S has an indicator to let Tech know if you Tampered with your phone. Does this get around the Tampered identifier?
What steps to Remove the Root?
Sorry about the loads of questions.

Ran a rooted G1 with Cyanogens Froyo
Samsun Galaxy S4g rooted and Now looking at rooting this OneS

FTK

krlooss

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the info,
?do you guys know if it is possible to apply the .zip updates after rooting my phone?
I've a carrier locked HTC One S, and i'm sure I'll never get an update form them because they are the worst carriers ever (Movistar Venezuela has never updated one phone).
I've already downloaded the .zip file for the latest update, but since they also didn't instal any bloatware I have not had the need to root, but this not updating is a major issue for me.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the info,
?do you guys know if it is possible to apply the .zip updates after rooting my phone?
I've a carrier locked HTC One S, and i'm sure I'll never get an update form them because they are the worst carriers ever (Movistar Venezuela has never updated one phone).
I've already downloaded the .zip file for the latest update, but since they also didn't instal any bloatware I have not had the need to root, but this not updating is a major issue for me.

apply the .zip updates??? Being Rooted gives you the liberty to flash any ROM (.zip) you wish that was designed for your phone. I dont call it updating... its called Flashing.
Just go to XDA-Developers and go to HTC One S development and download whatever ROM you want... make sure you read it carefully and thoroughly. They have 4.1 Sense ROMs if desired (stock) which is Trickdroid or Viper. or any AOSP ROM (CM, AOKP) like Rootbox <--- the one im using, or PACman, or Slimbean to name a few.

Good luck

jdom1966

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I must be doing something very wrong, worked with my phone for over 14 hours trying the same thing over and over...and i get the same results. wont install busybox or SU cause it keeps telling me the phone must be rooted to use these apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo