Beats Audio Review

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So this is my unscientific review of Beats audio on the HTC One X. I am not an audiophile or musician so these are my thoughts and you might come to a much different conclusion.

So what is Beats Audio? Does it matter? To answer these questions for myself I did research on the web and then conducted my own test using a pair of Dr.Dre White UR Beats earbuds and a standard set of Apple earbuds, the One X and 3rd gen IPad.

How I tested. I listened to three songs, rap (Jay Z, 99 Problems), top 40 (Adele, Rolling in the deep), and rock (Motley Crue, Kick start my heart). I played all three songs one at a time first on the One X with the Beats earbuds, followed by the Apple buds. Repeat on the IPad. Then repeated with the next song. At times I would toggle off Beats to see what it sounded like with both earbuds.

Beats Audio can best be summoned up as a EQ setting that you can enable when listening to music on the One X. Toggling back and forth listening to music you can tell the difference. Without Beats enabled sound was generic in sound and lower all most muffled. When Beats is enabled the sound became louder and clearer with a heavier emphasis on the low and high ends. Yes you can tell the difference between settings and earbuds on the One X. You won't be listening to music on the One X with beats off unless you like monotone sound. But, how does the IPad compare in sound quality against the One X and Beats?

Very well, the IPad has a more consistent sound across the board with nothing really out doing the other (low end vs. high end). You get the felling that the EQ is set to be equal across the board on the IPad. Where the One X would look different with the EQ cranked on the high and low ends. Personally I liked listening to music on both, but like the One X better overall. The One X felt like I was in a concert and the IPad like I was sitting on my porch with a Scotch in hand playing my tunes.

The earbuds also made a big difference in the sound quality and music experience. The Dr.Dre beats earbuds kicked the poop out of the Apple earbuds simple as that. Which is not surprising. What I found interesting between earbuds and devices was the better the headset the better Beats sounded. The IPad sounded better with the Beats earbuds without a doubt, but it sounded less bad with the Apple buds compared to the Apple buds with beats enabled. What I am trying to say is that Beats audio rewards the better earbuds and seems to punish the cheaper earbuds. The sound doesn't seem to come through as clear and crisp with the Apple earbuds. Where as the IPad didn't seem to really reward the Dr.Dre beats earbuds as much. Again probably this is due to the fact of how the EQ is set for both devices.

In conclusion I think Beats audio does improve your music on the One X, but to get the most of Beats you need to pair it with a high end headset. Once you do you will be rocking out like a kid at a rock concert.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy the beats audio on the one x. Sounds great with my beats headset. Only complaint is that the stinking plug sticks out a little higher than I would like. Makes great connection but just looks like it showing too much of the jack.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a ROM with Beats Audio EQ on my Sensation, and some of the other generic EQ settings are better than it. Classical, Rock, and Treble boost are all not nearly as muffled in the mids/highs. Bass boost does a better job of what Beats is. No effects is of course best for hearing your music as it was intended to be heard-it's actually funny because that's one of Beats slogans if I remember (monitors give you the sound that the musician intended you to hear-not headphones that drastically alter the sound by boosting bass too much).

Use your own EQ settings if you want to mess with the sound. What you're hearing when you think it gets "clearer" is the way that Beats boosts volume-change to different EQ settings and turn your volume up and you'll get the same effect-but without the muddy bass (for non-audiophiles, there is a difference between bass presence and how tight bass is-you can have a lot of presence but without tightness, which is when you get muddy bass that overpowers the mids/highs). I'm obviously not a Beats fan, but spend some time on Head Fi and you'll find out that there are many better audio solutions out there.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy the beats audio on the one x. Sounds great with my beats headset. Only complaint is that the stinking plug sticks out a little higher than I would like. Makes great connection but just looks like it showing too much of the jack.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

My one complaint with the beats earbuds is how they only have a rubber cover over the top of the jack so you have to be careful pulling the jack out of the phone. The Apple buds have a hard plastic piece on the top of the jack that is way more secure and makes it easier to remove.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Left out of the review is that the One X has other equalizer settings separate and un-connected with beats. So there are a lot of choices here.

Secondly, Beats itself has several profiles. Its not just a Beats vs World choice. You can adjust Beats for the lameness of your earbuds.

The Sound Enhancer setting in Settings / sound doesn't even show up until you plug in headphones, and from the top menu, you can then select which model of earbuds you have. (Most of us would choose Other, but you can play with selecting different models of beats earbuds even if you don't have that model).

Reactions: varsityhacker

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Nothing to do with Beats earbuds. Even the stock earbuds plug sticks out farther than on other phones.

This is a minor design flaw caused by the final phone shell being thinner than originally thought at the time the mobo was laid out.

I suspect that if that is all you have to complain about, you must be a pretty happy camper. :cool:

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a rezound owner and while I don't have any problem with beats audio for rock it seems to just adjust the music for headphones, I listen to my phone through my car aux port a lot and I can get just as good sound by changing the EQ, and that's the problem it's only an EQ setting, why is their only one? different types of music sound better with different EQ settings, I would understand if they wanted to make it the default that most people wouldn't touch, but to hype up something as big as they hype beats audio and it be a single eq setting is lame imo.

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a name to put on the phone in the wake of the success of the headphones.

I like Dr. Dre as much as the next guy, but Monster Cable is high prices mid-range equipment (think Bose). I'd take my pair of Koss PortaPros over any of the 10x higher priced Beats headphones out there.

I guarantee that name on the back of their phones have made them a lot more money than its cost them.

PS - That and sense aside...I'm a bit jealous of your One X's. Damn you Verizon!

Armydad57

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
A good set of MotoRockr headphones and .mixzing that has a very good EQ built into the app. I have been rocking this combo on all my motorola droids (I'm on the D3 now) for years and have found nothing that "beats" the sound quality, so what's the big deal about Beats?????

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
A good set of MotoRockr headphones and .mixzing that has a very good EQ built into the app. I have been rocking this combo on all my motorola droids (I'm on the D3 now) for years and have found nothing that "beats" the sound quality, so what's the big deal about Beats?????

I used MotoRokr buds and Poweramp with a great EQ on my D1, and I thought out sounded good until I got my Rezound and listened to the same music with the supplied Dre buds. Absolutely blows anything else I've heard before. It helps that I love heavy bass, of course.

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an audiophile but I define an audiophile as someone who spends 10 of 1000s of $$ on equipment and I know what a tube amp is. I spent some time swapping out headphones, ear buds, with mp3 players, Rezound, and iPads etc and as far as I can tell Beats Audio is not much more then an EQ that you can't customize.

and Apple buds are not much better then what you find at the dollar store, I wouldn't even throw those into the comparison.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an audiophile but I define an audiophile as someone who spends 10 of 1000s of $$ on equipment and I know what a tube amp is. I spent some time swapping out headphones, ear buds, with mp3 players, Rezound, and iPads etc and as far as I can tell Beats Audio is not much more then an EQ that you can't customize.

and Apple buds are not much better then what you find at the dollar store, I wouldn't even throw those into the comparison.

Well for my unscientific review all I had on hand was the earbuds I tested. Plus Apple earbuds might not be better in your opinion then say what you can find in the dollar store, but they are the best selling headphones of all time used by millions so as a reference they are not a bad choice.

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

If you read farther up one person stated that there are multiple profiles within Beats and multiple options to pick for which ear phones you use that all effect sound. I believe he also said it is a separate EQ that is indeed customizable.

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
If my only choice was between a Beats phone or iPhone - I would choose the iPhone based on what the OP posted.

The problem with beats and other EQ "sound enhancements" is they cause major havoc when you try to use it with anything other than ear-buds. I plug my phone (Galaxy S) into my car, home stereo, some bookshelf speakers, etc. In the case that you use more than just ear-buds, you will want something that is relatively "flat" and not artificially bumped up everywhere.

The electronics inside are much more important than some EQ settings which is why the Galaxy S is still regarded as one of the best personal audio devices because it uses a high quality wolfson DAC. IDK what HTC is using, but the fact that it says Beats on the case does nothing for me.

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If my only choice was between a Beats phone or iPhone - I would choose the iPhone based on what the OP posted.

The problem with beats and other EQ "sound enhancements" is they cause major havoc when you try to use it with anything other than ear-buds. I plug my phone (Galaxy S) into my car, home stereo, some bookshelf speakers, etc. In the case that you use more than just ear-buds, you will want something that is relatively "flat" and not artificially bumped up everywhere.

The electronics inside are much more important than some EQ settings which is why the Galaxy S is still regarded as one of the best personal audio devices because it uses a high quality wolfson DAC. IDK what HTC is using, but the fact that it says Beats on the case does nothing for me.

While I do agree with you if the major reason you pick a cell phone is for it's quality in how it handles audio you might be better off getting a dedicated device for that. Though I can understand we all have priorities of what we want our phones to do well (other than well be a phone) and for some music is a major way they use their phone.

I think the bigger issue here is if your choice is a iPhone or Android phone you should figure out what ecosystem you want to be plugged into and what online community you enjoy being a part of more as that is what you will interact with most. But if all that is equal and audio is your tipping point I would suggest that the iPhone would be a better choice as from what I have read it does a better job with audio in general though the One X is more than "passable" for the majority of people who simply want something to play their music from that does not make their music hiss like a banshee :)

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
First off, sorry. I think I came off as a bit of a jerk. For that I apologize, it was hastily written. I put the comment about the audiophile as I have spent quite a bit of time analyzing sound quality on music gear. It's hard to try to show you're not a novice with out sounding like a jerk. I've built guitar effect pedals and spend countless hours swapping speakers, tubes, and op-amps in and out of guitar amps to find just the right tone. But I am not an expert either, just a hobbyist

Well for my unscientific review all I had on hand was the earbuds I tested. Plus Apple earbuds might not be better in your opinion then say what you can find in the dollar store, but they are the best selling headphones of all time used by millions so as a reference they are not a bad choice.

To me, it's apples and oranges on the headphones you used, even in their basic design. In-the-ear-canal buds can deliver a much broader range of frequencies at a higher level then the Apple hanging type. You can simulate this a bit if you just push the Apple buds against your ear rather then just letting them sit in the lobe. It's no knock against your reviews and statements, after all you just comparing the over all sound quality.

My knock against Beats in general is that if I turn it off on my Rezound it really sounds poor. Turning on Beat makes it sound a lot better, but honestly not worlds better then if I just use the iBeats on my Thunderbolt. And using a general EQ app with Beats turned off I can match what I get from the Beats being on, and then make it more to my taste. In my opinion I think toggling the beats off just goes "less then flat" or worse then any other player I have. And when you turn Beats on it sounds great, but it seems that it's really just bringing it up slightly above par.

Now don't get me wrong I think the iBeats buds are pretty decent, they at least match my middle of the road Sony's and getting those as a throw in with the phone was great.

I will stand by my statement that the buds that come from Apple really are crap. They may have a better build quality then dollar store, but they don't sound any better.

If you read farther up one person stated that there are multiple profiles within Beats and multiple options to pick for which ear phones you use that all effect sound. I believe he also said it is a separate EQ that is indeed customizable.

I have the Rezound and it seems you get Beats on or off and that's about it. Maybe when we get ICS we'll have some options.

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I think its a bit silly that when you have the headphones in, it seems to think that it needs to use beats to enhance the notifcations......but other than that, its a really good sound and helped with in ear headphones.