Build Quality Check and Concerns

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Got my One X yesterday, and I am in love. Definitely the nicest device I have ever owned. Prior to getting one myself, I read dozens of threads mentioning specific issues with devices. I'm sure you are all familiar with them. Somewhere on XDA I think they are even exhaustively cataloged. The first thing I did when I got my device out of the box was a quality check, searching to see if my device had any of the issues I had seen pop up. Initially I didn't see any, but after 24 hours with it I do have a few concerns, and just wanted to see if anybody else is experiencing them.

Vibration. This is the first thing I noticed. When I get a text, the vibration is very strong. I have had strong vibrating devices before, but mine is actually rattling on the inside when it vibrates. It makes a very very loud noise, defeating the purpose of vibrating. I'm not sure if this is "normal", but I know it could be tweaked with root and such, but that isn't currently an option. So, first, does everybody's device vibrate so much that it rattles and sounds like loose plastic is shaking around?

Light leak. HTC is rather notorious for this, but I have seen and owned HTC devices that haven't had the issue. In the dark, when the phone is on, all along the left and right edges and the bottom I can see light coming from between the white casing and the glass. Not really a huge deal, save for the nuisance of knowing it is there. I'd assume this problem isn't ubiquitous, but probably common. It is probably from the device not being totally sealed. Again, not a huge deal, but is it that severe for anybody else?

Display dimpling. This is the one that is actually bugging me the most. I know the display is made so the glass isn't far from the LCD display. But when I am tapping around my phone, more towards the middle/top, the display dimples from what I assume is the glass touching the display. Also, if I lightly tap the very left or very right side of the device it dimples in the middle. Is this just something that is a result of the glass being close to the device? Is everybody seeing it?I generally don't notice it unless I am looking for it, but it is definitely there, and if it isn't on every device it alone makes me consider exchanging.

Anyway, these are just my build quality concerns. Hoping to see if anybody has matching concerns, or more importantly, if they are not, since that means I should consider exchanging the device. Though at this point, with so many individual things being possibly present, it seems unlikely that I will get a device that will lack all of them.

Overall, I think my little problems could be a bit worse. I can barely notice light leak unless I am looking for it. And hopefully the vibration can be tweaked with software (though the rattle is so annoying, it prevents me from putting my device in vibrate mode when I go to class because it is so loud). The display dimple really isn't terribly noticeable...I am not tapping too hard, but at the same time, I could tap lighter. The part about tapping the edges is really what concerns me the most. I have set up the device and I'm not really keen on returning it, gambling that I will get a flawless device, and then having to set it all up again. But being a person who is both a freak about little details and is used to setting up devices (due to my ROM flashing tendencies), I am considering it. Sorry this post is so long. Just want to be totally satisfied with my device, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Thanks!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can get my display to dimple if I press VERY hard on the side edge of the display. Otherwise none. My vibration is fine, too, no rattles. If it did I would take it back and exchange, that would be unacceptable for me.

Went in the bathroom and shut the door, if I look very close to the capacitive buttons I can see a little leakage, nothing I would notice if I wasn't looking for it, and nothing around the display itself.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Definitely leaning towards an exchange. I'm partially hesitant because I don't want to be that guy. But I am paying a lot for this device and the service. If I do exchange it I'm going to be checking for everything before I leave the store. I'll feel like an ass asking for another if the replacement is faulty too. But I just have to remember that it isn't my fault HTC is sending out faulty units...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd be interested in how hard you are mashing that screen to cause a dimple effect.
Cuz I have to put more pressure than I feel comfortable in doing to get anything like a dimple. Even at the edge of the screen I have to press really hard to see anything, and even when I do, its small and transient.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd be interested in how hard you are mashing that screen to cause a dimple effect.
Cuz I have to put more pressure than I feel comfortable in doing to get anything like a dimple. Even at the edge of the screen I have to press really hard to see anything, and even when I do, its small and transient.

I'm not pressing hard at all. Just tapping with my fingers. In certain areas as I tap this post it is dimpling. And on the edges it requires even less pressure. It isn't extremely noticeable. But it is nonetheless noticeable. I'm not a barbarian; I'm not smashing the screen every time I tap. Haha.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not pressing hard at all. Just tapping with my fingers. In certain areas as I tap this post it is dimpling. And on the edges it requires even less pressure. It isn't extremely noticeable. But it is nonetheless noticeable. I'm not a barbarian; I'm not smashing the screen every time I tap. Haha.

Ok, now, please don't get all insulted, but please confirm that you are NOT using a Active Wall paper... like any of these are you:

live_wallpapers_small.png

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I would return it you shouldn't live with a device that has issues like you are reporting. My vibration on my phone to me is not strong enough, but no rattles.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I can get my display to dimple if I press VERY hard on the side edge of the display. Otherwise none. My vibration is fine, too, no rattles. If it did I would take it back and exchange, that would be unacceptable for me.

Went in the bathroom and shut the door, if I look very close to the capacitive buttons I can see a little leakage, nothing I would notice if I wasn't looking for it, and nothing around the display itself.

Did u wash your hands?
;)

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I exchanged it. No more screen dimpling. Inspected the device in the store as best I could. Seemed fine. But now...*heavy sigh*...I seem to have a dead pixel. Actually I can't really call it dead...it is totally fine, but then on dark backgrounds, every time the screen refreshes (i.e. when I am scrolling down a page) the pixel blinks from white to whatever color it is supposed to be. It is just one tiny pixel. But it is bugging the crap out of me knowing it is there. Wish I would have caught it in store.

Not to mention the vibration is still extremely strong...which I figure might just be me not being used to it. But I can hear it vibrate from another room over. Gah. First AT&T store I went to had none in stock, so I went to another store where they had two. So frustrating. Now I really don't know what to do.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

I agree with icebike,I can get the screen to dimple only when I put tons of pressure on the display. The only time I ever saw it on mine is when I was cleaning my display prior to installing a zagg shield. Other then anything else,light leakage doesn't bother me too much,and the vibration can be toned down a bit with a good case. My OB defender does a good job at that.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87