Sd card issue

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the international Tegra 3 version.
There is a problem with the available storage in the phone.

This is my current storage status:
View attachment 26720
View attachment 26721
View attachment 26722
View attachment 26723
There are about 20 more folders on the SD card but their size goes on decreasing now.
This is the used/free level:
View attachment 26724
The system settings show the same thing.
My question is that all these folders don't add upto 15 GB used....
What's the true storage status?
And am I missing something?
Is there some way this might be normal, and I have used 15 GB?

(Also I have only one game's large amount of data on the SD card, i.e. GTA 3)
PS: all my apps are in phone storage...
Sent from my International HTC One X.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure where all the storage is, but I believe the system may be using up some of that 16GB they claim we have. When I first got my HOX (AT&T version), I had a 2.3GB (or so) partition for apps and a 9.97GB (or so) partition for storage. If my simple math is correct, that's just about 12GB and some change. I'd like to know where they other 4GB went as well.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have 32 GB and after the system used some I got 25GB approx... I meant that I'm left with only 10 GB outta that, leaving some part of the other 15 unaccounted for.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Tegra 3 version here as well.
My results are similar to yours.

View attachment 26728

No clue where the storage is going.
By my calcs I use just over 3.14 gig, yet I show 11 gig used.

Even allowing for the cache files I can't get close to 11gig used.

Sent from my HOX

Last edited:

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Had anyone been able to 'recover' that lost storage? Or give an explanation as to where it's going?

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you seeing the hidden folders, too? They usually start with a dot, and sometimes they don't show up in file managers. Not sure how astro or the Android file managers handle that, maybe your game data is in a hidden folder. Maybe some other cached data, ie images, temp files , etc...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you seeing the hidden folders, too? They usually start with a dot, and sometimes they don't show up in file managers. Not sure how astro or the Android file managers handle that, maybe your game data is in a hidden folder. Maybe some other cached data, ie images, temp files , etc...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Is there any way to see these hidden folders? Any app available or should I connect it to my computer to check?

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The remainder of the storage is allocated for "system use". I'll use the 32GB version for an example. The "sd card" partition is allocated 25GB (almost 26GB actually) and then there is the 2GB of storage allocated for "internal storage" partition. Regardless of where you install the apps the phone will still leave these partitions allocated. So, there is 28GB accounted for, then the remainder is left for "system use", which is around 4GB. Just because the folders don't add up to 4GB doesn't mean anything because it has already been allocated.

Then when we take the 16GB version, there is 10GB allocated for the "sd card" partition and 2GB allocated for the "internal storage" partition, which leaves around 4GB allocated for "system use".

"System Use" is the ROM (OS, preinstall files, system apps), maybe temp files and the dalvik cache, and other things. The only separate storage on the phone is the RAM, everything else uses the 16 or 32GB of on-board storage.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The remainder of the storage is allocated for "system use". I'll use the 32GB version for an example. The "sd card" partition is allocated 25GB (almost 26GB actually) and then there is the 2GB of storage allocated for "internal storage" partition. Regardless of where you install the apps the phone will still leave these partitions allocated. So, there is 28GB accounted for, then the remainder is left for "system use", which is around 4GB. Just because the folders don't add up to 4GB doesn't mean anything because it has already been allocated.

Then when we take the 16GB version, there is 10GB allocated for the "sd card" partition and 2GB allocated for the "internal storage" partition, which leaves around 4GB allocated for "system use".

"System Use" is the ROM (OS, preinstall files, system apps), maybe temp files and the dalvik cache, and other things. The only separate storage on the phone is the RAM, everything else uses the 16 or 32GB of on-board storage.

This is correct. I doubt any dev will try to hack into the storage and change allocation levels, because there is plenty of storage to go around for everything. It's not like earlier Android phone that had ~500mb of app storage space.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Liveguy, we are all quite aware of all of that.

We are taking about that 28gig partition left on a 32gig phone. We are wondering where it all went.

We are not quibbleing about the 4gig reserved for the system, because, as you yourself explain, that is not allocated out of the that 28 gig.

We are wondering how we chewed up 11 gig.

Look at the screen shots.

Sent from my HOX

Last edited:

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

We are taking about that 28gig partition left on a 32gig phone. We are wondering where it all went.

We are not quibbleing about the 4gig reserved for the system, because, as you yourself explain, that is not allocated out of the that 28 gig.

Sent from my HOX

Yes, that was my point exactly! Check the screenshots, and read what I'd written when starting this thread.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to see these hidden folders? Any app available or should I connect it to my computer to check?

If you're using Astro, tap on View, then Directory options, and there's a checkmark available for viewing hidden files.

Screenshot_2012-06-01-00-44-40.png

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ahh now I see what you mean. Sorry.

You say you have your apps moved to SD, but I doubt you have that many games that have to download that many large files.

Now I'm curious as to whether some of it sits in allocation somewhere, for something, but I'm no dev so I'm not really sure. Just kinda throwing some ideas out there. What it would be allocated for, though, I don't know, nor do I have a theory as to why it shows up as used (unlike the stuff allocated for system use, which doesn't show up at all).

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ahh now I see what you mean. Sorry.

You say you have your apps moved to SD, but I doubt you have that many games that have to download that many large files.

Now I'm curious as to whether some of it sits in allocation somewhere, for something, but I'm no dev so I'm not really sure. Just kinda throwing some ideas out there. What it would be allocated for, though, I don't know, nor do I have a theory as to why it shows up as used (unlike the stuff allocated for system use, which doesn't show up at all).

I've got all my apps in the internal storage of 2 GB. Only GTA's game data is in the SD card, but that's accounted for in the first pic I posted. I remember having around 25 gigs when I'd bought it about a month back... So I filled it with stuff, deleted some... I just don't get where that storage vanished...
Btw, except me and icebike, is anyone else facing this problem? Post your storage use plz.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my HOX

Yes, that was my point exactly! Check the screenshots, and read what I'd written when starting this thread.

My apologizes for misinterpreting the issue. I can't tell exactly as I do not experience this problem. I guess the question is, what apps do you guys have and what settings do you guys use for your apps (especially system apps). My guess is, depending on how your settings are configured the phone is allocating space or using up a great deal of cache and temp/hidden files. If neither of those are the issue then I would just guess there is a problem with the handling of the memory blocks on the flash memory.

My suggestion would be to back everything up, data-wise (photos, music, etc.) and format the storage partition [Settings > Storage > Erase phone storage] and then put everything back and see what it looks like then.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You don't have this problem? Or is it that you simply haven't checked?

Post some screenshots.

Sent from my HOX

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to back everything up, data-wise (photos, music, etc.) and format the storage partition [Settings > Storage > Erase phone storage] and then put everything back and see what it looks like then.

Not ready to do this yet... Any other options? :confused: