Jelly Bean

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
HTC was first to say we are on board with jelly bean but samsung just leaked an official rom. Samsung also said that their official release will begin on august 29th. Please htc, let's get it movin!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing by the end of September, only because Samsung is working much faster and htc doesn't want to be shown up by Sammy.. Otherwise I would say december, based on past roll-outs haha... I can't wait! I think that's when I'll root it finally:D

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing by the end of September, only because Samsung is working much faster and htc doesn't want to be shown up by Sammy.. Otherwise I would say december, based on past roll-outs haha... I can't wait! I think that's when I'll root it finally:D

Same, and i think I will root too then.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Based on past rollouts?

Samsung also leaked ICS first on the SGS2, but it was in fact HTC who released it officially first to the Sensation - beating Samsung by a few weeks.

Also, ICS on the SGS2 was a disaster - it wasn't as pretty as gingerbread due to touchwiz, home screen smoothness wasn't as good as gingerbread either & was a big reason for a lot of SGS2 customers jumping ship to the HTC ONE X upon release. (including myself)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, Samsung is actually very good about LEAKING software. This is great for those that flash, as it means they get the new stuff pretty quickly. At least when it comes to the SGS line. What Samsung was less good at, and this is more carrier issues almost certainly, is actually getting the updates to people that do not flash ROMs. That took MUCH longer. Perhaps with the unified models now, that will make it quicker... but it took months after the Froyo and GB "leaks" for the Captivate before ATT actually got it.

Reactions: Bizzle69

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Based on past rollouts?

Samsung also leaked ICS first on the SGS2, but it was in fact HTC who released it officially first to the Sensation - beating Samsung by a few weeks.

Also, ICS on the SGS2 was a disaster - it wasn't as pretty as gingerbread due to touchwiz, home screen smoothness wasn't as good as gingerbread either & was a big reason for a lot of SGS2 customers jumping ship to the HTC ONE X upon release. (including myself)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

My reference to "past rollouts" are with the Rezound, and HTC Vivid... I'm sure things are running better now that everything is unified (one series). Either way, I love my HOX

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
What's the big deal with Jelly Bean?

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Played around a little with it. The one feature people want, but have a hard time pointing at, is "Project Butter". It is supposed to get rid of the occasional glitchy moving between screens, and otherwise just smooth out your ride. Things run pretty nice on my HOX with Sense, and I can't say I noticed the difference.

Google Now is new. Looks to be getting center facing in the OS, but you also have to be running the OS for a while before it learns anything interesting about you. It was still mostly just another weather app and new functions for buttons for me so far. Oh, and a new look for Voice Search. This has potential however, and with the primary placement...

The expanded notifications for Gmail and whatnot is pretty cool in the notification drawer (2 finger slide to expand/contract).

I didn't notice much more, but plan on spending more time with it once Pandora upgrades their app to stream BT audio properly on JB.

Reactions: kkapoorr

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
What's the big deal with Jelly Bean?

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

"Google Now" is actually quite usefull if you are willing to log in to lattitude and let google know where you are at any given second. It's also very helpful after it gets used to you, especially if you let it monitor your google searches. I will miss it when my IHOX gets here, but not enough to stay on Verizon... Hell, I bet the IHOX gets Jelly Bean before the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, anyone want to wager?

Reactions: kkapoorr

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Depends on if you are going to wait on VZ to give it to you, or if you are going to go get it yourself :). VZ is pretty terrible in supporting the GNex... which is why I have a HOX now myself. But 4.1 WAS available for the VZ Gnex the day after it was for the GSM version. Flash CM10 and done :).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
"Google Now" is actually quite usefull if you are willing to log in to lattitude and let google know where you are at any given second. It's also very helpful after it gets used to you, especially if you let it monitor your google searches. I will miss it when my IHOX gets here, but not enough to stay on Verizon... Hell, I bet the IHOX gets Jelly Bean before the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, anyone want to wager?

Considering the Jelly Bean update for the VZW GN is testing as we speak, doesn't need a skin, and is essentially only hinging on carrier specific baseband software, I'd love to wager that ;).

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Considering the Jelly Bean update for the VZW GN is testing as we speak, doesn't need a skin, and is essentially only hinging on carrier specific baseband software, I'd love to wager that ;).

How long did they sit on the 4.0.4 update, 5 months? 6?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
How long did they sit on the 4.0.4 update, 5 months? 6?

It leaked and was officially released within the span of 4-5 weeks. Check my update thread if you don't believe me. 4.0.4 itself was not officially released until about a month or so (although my timing is a bit dodgy) prior to that--the other forms, may it be 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 (early) were all leaked test builds that were not officially released.

Again, this is common sense in a way, right? VZW Nexus = no layers except carrier. HTC One X = manufacturer + carrier. 2 layers v. 1 layer...well..I'm picking the 1 layer phone every time.

Then again, Verizon can just say screw it and never release until next year, b/c predicting what they do is...not a very profitable past time. That being said, the fact it's been testing is an exceptionally positive sign.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
It leaked and was officially released within the span of 4-5 weeks.

This is true. But as I recall, they sat on it for almost 4 months before it leaked.

I agree in the one layer philosophy. That is why I am going with the International HOX with no carrier to deal with (prepaid). If my choice of layers is HTC or Verizon, I will take HTC every time! ;)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This is true. But as I recall, they sat on it for almost 4 months before it leaked.

I agree in the one layer philosophy. That is why I am going with the International HOX with no carrier to deal with (prepaid). If my choice of layers is HTC or Verizon, I will take HTC every time! ;)

Understandable. With 4.0.4, the leaked version (that I was on in rom-form for quite some time) was not the end version, may it be GSM or otherwise. The final version of THAT 4.0.4 build was a month or so at best.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My Transformer 300 just got Jb. Now my phone needs it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The real reason the vz gnex update situation is so annoying for people is partly due to how many gnex users take care of it themselves. Those that don't, constantly get told to just do it. Sort of reinforces a little nexus snobbery that probably hurts the brand.

For goodness sake though, just flash cm10 or aokp and be done. Yes, this is me just telling you to flash a Rom on the gnex :). I am actually allowed.

I think time from leak to vz deployment is about the same as any phone. It just feels longer since most of your peers are already on 4.1.1.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The real reason the vz gnex update situation is so annoying for people is partly due to how many gnex users take care of it themselves. Those that don't, constantly get told to just do it. Sort of reinforces a little nexus snobbery that probably hurts the brand.

For goodness sake though, just flash cm10 or aokp and be done. Yes, this is me just telling you to flash a Rom on the gnex :). I am actually allowed.

I think time from leak to vz deployment is about the same as any phone. It just feels longer since most of your peers are already on 4.1.1.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

While I think some folks' posts have come off like that, I can tell you that is not my nor anyone else who proliferates the GN forums' intentions. The issue I have with posts like this and every other update post known to man is that it eventually devolves into "root v. not root." More recently, it's become "I DON'T WANT TO ROOT DON'T EVEN MENTION IT" and all of a sudden that devolves into pure chaos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer