SM-T377P and a Magical Unicorn Odor

AngryBeaver

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Full disclosure, I just copy and pasted my intro thread here, as I said I would. Sorry about misleading anyone who only clicked on this in the hopes of getting a sample of Unicorn Odor. It's all a lie. There are no unicorns here.

Hm. Social interaction is not a skill I've ever professed to have. My brain tends to work in straight lines from point A to B in general. That is not to say it doesn't take side trips...in fact, it takes so many side trips on it's journey from A to B that I often get lost or forget what B was to begin with. I guess a better description would be that it travels in straight lines from A to B to C to A to C to X to B to A to Z. Where was I going with that? Not important.

I've been banging my head against a wall for longer than I care to admit with a tablet I got from a job site. ( Technology contractor...more like field service honestly, but I like to sound more important than I actually am. ) Little did I know this piece of junk tablet would lead me down a rabbit hole...I think Im currently in X, or maybe B, since I am starting somewhere else looking for answers...but I could be at Z for all I know.

National gas station chain upgraded their tablets. I was told to dispose of the old in whatever manner I saw fit, which meant I was going to take it with me and look at the inside because what else would I do? At this time I'd never even heard of Odin or Thor ( the tools ) or put much thought into firmware or android security. Now, a long time later, I find myself equal parts disgusted and interested. The long and short of it is that the tablet is not worth the time and effort I've invested in it but I am too far in to just give up at this point. More than likely, it's simply a lost cause, and if so, I"ll more than likely keep right on banging my head against that same wall until either the tablet takes a crap, or I do. Heh.

The problem? It's MDM locked because me in my nubile idiocy decided to try and flash the device before properly understanding what I was doing. After realizing what I did, I called the company I was contracted with on this project and they removed it from whatever MDM platform they use. I did not think to ask, and haven't really been up to poring through my thousands of contracts looking for what the company was again. Seems silly I know, but I am very very adament when I get my mindset in a certain way. Mores the pity. Wouldn't do much good anyway I think. It's been...jeez...probably 2 years since I did that job. The only reason I am on this hole again is because I stumbled across the darn tablet the other day, There is was, in a drawer, staring me in the face, taunting me. So here we are.

I've got the stock firmware, but it wont flash. Believe me, I've tried....and tried...and tried...and tried. TWRP, Magisk, Clockworkmod, nothing. Nothing will flash except from what I can tell in Odin and the Stock Firmware, it makes its through aboot.mbn and maybe the next way...cant remember, but inevitably fails on boot or recovery, whichever comes first. Of course, on the tablet, it states MDM Mode wont allow flashing or something similar.

Further, because I am persistant, I've tried Odin, Heimdall, Thor, a script that communicates with the SIM, which does me no good as there isn't a sim in the device, and FELix. Nothing gets me very far.

The device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 SM-T377P with 7.1.1. It will only get to the splashscreen displaying a big ole taunting Sprint logo and will sit there until the wheels fall off. At this point, my linux box sees the device, but Samsung being what they are, communication options are limited.

Any insight would be appreciative, and I'll post this same thread in the appropriate place if I can find one. For my lack of personality, and for the sake of not having am empty greeting thread, I just put this all here first. So, Huzzah.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I moved this from General Help to the More Samsung Tablets forum (we don't have a specific subforum for the Tab E).

Unfortunately, it sounds like the company didn't quite remove the MDM like they said they would, so without the ability to talk to that company again, you might be stuck. We generally don't allow discussions on how to get around things like MDM, since there are people (not you) who might want to do that for less savory reasons.

@mustang7757, any thoughts on this? Any flashing options?

Reactions: mustang7757

AngryBeaver

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I suppose I do not fully understand how exactly MDM works. I admittedly did not read much up on it but I was under the impression that it's sort of like group policy on a windows box. Logging in triggers the policy to download, and then load whatever software that user has access to. In the case of the tablet, the logging in bit would be entering the pin I so noobishly ignored before trying to flash it. What I am getting at is that I assumed that with no sim card, and hence, no internet access coupled with my fumbling fashing somehow I dont know, half flashed it whiile leaving the MDM in tack, and triggering it. The company removed it from whatever MDM suite they have, so again, I assumed that the command simply never made it to the tablet.

AngryBeaver

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Update - I called the company once again and explained to them how back in January 2022 I did a job for them, blah blah. Long story short, they apparently have a pretty crappy retention of their records and couldn't find anything on it. Also, they said they used a version of Knox that was phased out or something. Maybe a predecessor of the current form of Knox. Not sure.